Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Did you not read the two lines I quoted? Those were hardly benign quotes. There are better ways stating the exact same thing without the viciousness....
The speculative part I was referring to was him being waived... Not his comments on an impending trade.
Wasn't discrediting him.. was stating a fact.

What does it matter how he wrote it... if you are not trying to imply something about the author one way or another? Why should he state the exact same thing a different way? He got his points and thoughts across easily enough... They made sense, and the article flowed nicely. Do you think if written with less viciousness it would give him more credibility in your eyes?

His quotes were fine, IMO. His thoughts on Pouliot being waived led to him correctly predicting a Pouliot trade in a week's time, and as a reason why Pouliot wasn't waived along with Tinordi and Trotman. His assumptions are in line with Penguin fans on this board and other Pittsburgh media, and in line with what Rutherford alluded to, himself. You say, "the constant error in assumption people continue to make is that Pit was going to place him on waivers". Yes, this is the common assumption... but saying it's an error is saying that it wasn't a good or reasonable assumption (as an error in your eyes, you see it's the wrong assumption). No, it is a reasonable and good assumption. We can reasonably assume that Pouliot was going to waivers. Pouliot was reasonably going to waivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What does it matter how he wrote it... if you are not trying to imply something about the author one way or another? Why should he state the exact same thing a different way? He got his points and thoughts across easily enough... They made sense, and the article flowed nicely. Are you his editor? Do you think if written with less viciousness it would give him more credibility in your eyes?
But i wasn't questioning his credibility. Your paragraph begs the question tho.. are you his editor? Are you Dan?

His quotes were fine, IMO. His thoughts on Pouliot being waived let to him correctly predicting a Pouliot trade in a week's time, and as a reason why Pouliot wasn't waived along with Tinordi and Trotman. His assumptions are in line with Penguin fans on this board and other Pittsburgh media, and in line with what Rutherford alluded to, himself. You say, "the constant error in assumption people continue to make is that Pit was going to place him on waivers". Yes, this is the common assumption... but saying it's an error is saying that it wasn't a good or reasonable assumption. No, it is a reasonable and good assumption. We can reasonably assume that Pouliot was going to waivers. Pouliot was reasonably going to waivers.

My point was .. the constant error in assumption people continue to make is that Pit was going had to place him on waivers.

I don't think Pouliot would of made it through waivers, so I simply don't think its reasonable to assume Rutherford would of been willing to lose the asset for nothing if a trade didn't occur... especially if he didn't HAVE TO!

Sorry if that is so upsetting to you. I think we're about done here.

Reactions: BrandonL

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
But i wasn't questioning his credibility. Your paragraph begs the question tho.. are you his editor? Are you Dan?

I assume you agree that how the article was written does not matter... and that by bringing it up was irrelevant.

My point was .. the constant error in assumption people continue to make is that Pit was going had to place him on waivers.

I don't think Pouliot would of made it through waivers, so I simply don't think its reasonable to assume Rutherford would of been willing to lose the asset for nothing if a trade didn't occur... especially if he didn't HAVE TO!

Sorry if that is so upsetting to you. I think we're about done here.

This was your exact post, "The constant error in assumption people continue to make is that Pit was going to place him on waivers." It's now been updated to "had to" from "going to", perhaps after you've had time to consider further information?... which is fine (and a great thing to do, to learn and alter thoughts and opinions based on further information), but it does make it a slightly different argument than the original. While ever there is a roster spot available, there is room for a non-NHL player on a NHL roster.

I agree that the Penguins didn't have to place Pouliot on waivers (simple math says so)... however, given that he was not seen as a NHL player, and that the Penguins are trying to win another cup this season... that the Penguins were going to place him on waivers (I get this assumption from my own thoughts (what makes sense to me), the Pittsburgh media and fans (what makes sense to those following the situation closely), and comments from Rutherford, himself - the decision maker). I agree that Pouliot wasn't going to make it through waivers, because Benning would have taken him #2. Rutherford didn't have to place Pouliot on waivers and lose him to Benning for nothing, because he could trade him to Benning for something. It would make no sense for Rutherford to lose Pouliot to Benning for nothing, when he could get something for him from Benning.

This isn't upsetting to me, at all. Why do you keep posting about feelings? Are you a sensitive person?

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so the situation mirrors corrado in that they didn't have to waive him but would have chosen to because he was done with the penguins and they wanted to move on. what rutherford said does sound like what benning said when he waived corrado.

i also think it mirrors pedan being done with the canucks.

anyway, edler is skating again so pretty soon pouliot will have lots of time to work on his skating.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Playing better each game. Really good transition game other than odd glaring giveaway. everything else is mediocre but not terrible.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Playing better each game. Really good transition game other than odd glaring giveaway. everything else is mediocre but not terrible.

after that game i am starting to see inklings of upside beyond a bottom 6 guy. he appears to improve slightly game by game in all areas. still significant weaknesses but still not getting burned.

it will be very interesting to get the take of penguins fans on saturday and also to see if the pens pick him apart since they know his weaknesses.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pouliot had a good game. Still don't see top4 upside in this player, but there's reason to think he can be a bottom-pairing Dman. Hope he keeps it going.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Maybe they were going to waive Pouliot. We did wave Pedan. Pouliot was worth more than Pedan. The 4th makes the trade fair.

And guess who had a strong game today?

Pouliot.

Not shabby at all...

Last edited:

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
The Penguins re-assigned 21 players to the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins, Tuesday, including Daniel Sprong, Teddy Blueger, and Zac Aston-Reese. In the process, the Penguins likely signaled a coming trade. Defenseman Derrick Pouliot remained in the NHL camp but that certainly isn’t because his play earned the honor. It has more to do with maintaining Pouliot’s trade value and in the process, the Penguins have signaled a trade is in the works.

Cards are on the table. Could we finally learn the identity of the Penguins third line center?

Logic dictates, if a trade were not imminent, Pouliot would have been sent through waivers for re-assignment to WBS, as were Zach Trotman and Jarred Tinordi. And only because a trade is imminent would the Penguins fear to lose Pouliot for nothing. Otherwise, any team would be happy to rid itself of Pouliot and the one-way $800,000 contract. Relieved, actually.

Now, the Penguins have less than a week to complete the deal. They certainly do not want to use one of their 23 roster spots on the defenseman. Even if winger Patric Hornqvist begins the season on IR, keeping Pouliot on the NHL roster would deny the Penguins an NHL capable player.

The great poker game is down to the river card. The Penguins have a week to finally bring the off-season drama to a close, acquire a third line center, and allow Pouliot a fresh start, elsewhere. Or, they could lose the defenseman for nothing because he hasn’t earned a Penguins roster spot and another team is willing to take a chance.

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/penguins-trade-derrick-pouliot/

That's still just an assumption by a "radio personality". The same guy that claimed the Preds management was piping in crowd noise during the finals to make their arena seem louder. lol

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
I recall a play at the end of the Devils game where Pouliot made a stellar saucer pass in his own zone to Gagner which resulted in one of the better chance of the game for us. Might have been up the middle and a no-no, but it was sure pretty.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is one of those trades where if you lower your expectations to the ground floor it looks fine. Pouliot appears to have pretty much zero NHL offensive upside, but he's been serviceable defensively and looks like he could be a low-event, bottom-four guy moving forward.

He played ~18 minutes last night and basically nothing happened. Well, 1 shot and 1 blocked shot.

Once again, the concerning thing is that management sees some kind of "puck-moving" defenseman here that can contribute on offense. That's clearly not the case.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He's played pretty well IMO.

His corsi is also reeeeal gud although its only been 9 games.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
He's played pretty well IMO.

His corsi is also reeeeal gud although its only been 9 games.
Patrick Wiercioch was one of the best corsi dman in the league, of course you're going to have a good corsi while playing extremely soft minutes with a ton of offensive zone starts.

You're usually a good poster that I like reading so don't take this personally but advanced stats without context are utterly useless.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pouliot has been making improvements since he's been here. I'm one of the people who thought he was worth the deal. I didn't see Pedan as being an NHL dman and he was essentially zero value. I look at the trade as a 4th for Pouliot and I think the risk of a 4th was worth it.

I don't expect the doubters to ever admit they could be wrong. I've only seen one of the people who hated the Grandlund deal turn and admit he was wrong (MS).

Pouliot is improving each game and has one of the better Corsi ratings on the team (Small sample size). If he can continue to improve, this might turn out to be another steal along the likes of Granlund and Baertschi.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
That's still just an assumption by a "radio personality". The same guy that claimed the Preds management was piping in crowd noise during the finals to make their arena seem louder. lol

If you were to re-write your post into bold, declarative sentences, and organize your argument more forcefully and clearly, what would your point be?

Is this the point you are trying to make: Kingerski's assumption that Pouliot was going to be placed on waivers (barring a trade) should be discredited, because Kingerski is a Penguins radio personality, and he once claimed that the Preds management piped in crowd noise during the finals to make their arena seem louder (a notion that is laughing out loud worthy, because this is absurd? funny? uncomfortably awkward?)... therefore, Kingerski doesn't know what he is writing about with regards to Pouliot and waivers. Given all this, Kingerski's assumptions regarding Pouliot and waivers should not be reasonably used in combination with other Penguin sources to form personal thoughts and opinions about Pouliot, waivers, and Rutherford's intent.

Are you expecting a serious response to this point?

Last edited:

Jessep

Oct 27, 2017
If you were to re-write your post into bold, declarative sentences, and organize your argument more forcefully and clearly, what would your point be?

Is this the point you are trying to make: Kingerski's assumption that Pouliot was going to be placed on waivers (barring a trade) should be discredited, because Kingerski is a Penguins radio personality, and he once claimed that the Preds management piped in crowd noise during the finals to make their arena seem louder (a notion that is laughing out loud worthy, because this is absurd? funny? uncomfortably awkward?)... therefore, Kingerski doesn't know what he is writing about with regards to Pouliot and waivers. Given all this, Kingerski's assumptions regarding Pouliot and waivers should not be reasonably used in combination with other Penguin sources to form personal thoughts and opinions about Pouliot, waivers, and Rutherford's intent.

Are you expecting a serious response to this point?

All I'm saying is it's simply an opinion not fact. Just because a radio personality says Pouliot was going to be put on waivers doesn't mean it`s what the Pens management was actually going to do.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Patrick Wiercioch was one of the best corsi dman in the league, of course you're going to have a good corsi while playing extremely soft minutes with a ton of offensive zone starts.

You're usually a good poster that I like reading so don't take this personally but advanced stats without context are utterly useless.

Well part of the context of me saying he has good corsi is that his relative corsi is impressive. That doesn't take into account his deployment and him getting "soft minutes", but it does say that he is driving possession more than his teammates which is worth something.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Well part of the context of me saying he has good corsi is that his relative corsi is impressive. That doesn't take into account his deployment and him getting "soft minutes", but it does say that he is driving possession more than his teammates which is worth something.
Sure but his teammates are facing significantly tougher competition. Again defenders like Patrick Wiercioch also always had fantastic corsi because they were put in the most favourable offensive situations possible.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
All I'm saying is it's simply an opinion not fact. Just because a radio personality says Pouliot was going to be put on waivers doesn't mean it`s what the Pens management was actually going to do.

Where did you get the impression that I considered his opinion to be fact? When I said I don't follow the Penguins closely, so I rely on the assumptions of those who do... including the Penguins media and fans, to help determine what are reasonable assumptions or not?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Despite all the heat, light and up-ice puck pressure, the Canucks d-corps is still generating next to zero offensively......I mean the only goals from a defenseman all season are from the stick of Chris Tavev (2)....that's it.....long-term you simply can't win in today's NHL without some sort of offensive contribution from your blueline......I have no idea what Pouliot brings to the table offensively, but based on his record in junior, the trade is worth the gamble.....unless you actually believe either Pedan or Weircioch could do any better.

Reactions: BrandonL and Jessep

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Sure but his teammates are facing significantly tougher competition. Again defenders like Patrick Wiercioch also always had fantastic corsi because they were put in the most favourable offensive situations possible.

Actually, Pouliot's career relative Corsi is significantly higher than Wiercioch's (like 4X better).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Despite all the heat, light and up-ice puck pressure, the Canucks d-corps is still generating next to zero offensively......I mean the only goals from a defenseman all season are from the stick of Chris Tavev (2)....that's it.....long-term you simply can't win in today's NHL without some sort of offensive contribution from your blueline......I have no idea what Pouliot brings to the table offensively, but based on his record in junior, the trade is worth the gamble.....unless you actually believe either Pedan or Weircioch could do any better.

this is true but confusing based on the eye test. i would not rate hutton as a 7 point dman watchng him but that is how he is trending.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Defencemen take longer to develop. The goals will come :sarcasm:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Pouliot has been making improvements since he's been here. I'm one of the people who thought he was worth the deal. I didn't see Pedan as being an NHL dman and he was essentially zero value. I look at the trade as a 4th for Pouliot and I think the risk of a 4th was worth it.

I don't expect the doubters to ever admit they could be wrong. I've only seen one of the people who hated the Grandlund deal turn and admit he was wrong (MS).

Pouliot is improving each game and has one of the better Corsi ratings on the team (Small sample size). If he can continue to improve, this might turn out to be another steal along the likes of Granlund and Baertschi.

I think anyone who 'poo-poo's the "poo" trade at this point is just someone looking to wipe away what is now exposed as baseless mud-slinging when Pittsburg's prospect pipeline, unable to properly shape his game, laid him on us a few weeks back.

Poo' has been more than just solid, he's shown signs of being that slick and highly offensive lump of raw talent, we all heard about at some point.

And yes, that backdoor play right up the middle of the slot is a big no-no to coaches, but coaches never want to try anything new, they want the same standardized positional play night after night
Sometimes you need to be adventurous

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I think anyone who 'poo-poo's the "poo" trade at this point is just someone looking to wipe away what is now exposed as baseless mud-slinging when Pittsburg's prospect pipeline, unable to properly shape his game, laid him on us a few weeks back.

Poo' has been more than just solid, he's shown signs of being that slick and highly offensive lump of raw talent, we all heard about at some point.

And yes, that backdoor play right up the middle of the slot is a big no-no to coaches, but coaches never want to try anything new, they want the same standardized positional play night after night
Sometimes you need to be adventurous
None of this is true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad