Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC
Sadly, Jimbo's record of scooping up other team's failed draft picks is pretty dismal....about the only players it's worked with are Baertschi and Granlund, both from the Flames... just everybody else flat out sucks.

I can't decide if it's because Jimbo got fixated on these players when he was scouting for the Bruins, and refuses to accept that his initial player assessments when these kids were in junior, was basically flawed. Or maybe he thinks he's better than other teams when it comes to 'player development'....but who knows?

You hope for the best and that Pouliot pans out.....but the track record doesn't inspire much confidence,
and as both those players were waiver eligible he should have given up a hell of a lot less than he did

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jim Benning is basically pre-waivers at this point. If you are a GM ready to waive somebody, the first thing you do is call up ol' Jimmy and see if you can harvest a pick. If not, then you proceed with the waivers.

Attachments

• 83721784.jpg
    83721784.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 7

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Y'know, I'm at the point now where I actually feel bad for Benning, I'm pretty good at reading people and my very first thought when I saw Benning was "OMG, this guy isn't that bright...what the hell is Trev doing?"

But I also didn't get the impression that Jim Benning is a bad guy, actually, my impression always has been that he's a good dude at heart,

Which makes me a little angry at Trev, the guy was my childhood hero and I wouldn't have ever thought he could do wrong in my eyes, but dropping Benning in the pool way out of his depth and making him a laughingstock isn't a nice thing to do.

The thing is, I KNOW Trev isn't stupid, not by a long shot, I've spoken to him on a number of occasions over the years and that much has been clear.

Has this whole thing been some weird plot to devalue the team? I don't know why they would want to do that, but at some point, you can't just think all this stuff is happening by accident.

Why do we have a GM who is straight out of a comedy sketch? That keeps making "In our worst nightmare" deals and seems to do everything the exact opposite of how he should?

Something is starting to seem a little off about this whole thing.

I mean this Pouliot deal seems like it was designed to drive people crazy,

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It's almost as if when Jimmy, Trev and Mr Aquilini put their heads together their collective IQ plummets. It's as if the whole is less than the sum of it's parts.

Much less.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Give the kid a chance.Like really what the heck are people lossing there marbles over this minor trade for.The kid has not played one shift for this team,and the targets allready on his back.wow.

Because he's not really a kid, and a team that's supposed to be rebuilding shouldn't be trading away draft picks for players who are waiver wire calibre.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Probability arguments aside, the Pouliot trade still highlights Benning's tendency to target and pay for skill sets instead of overall player quality.

On overall player quality, an asset like Pouliot could have been had on waivers. Further, a player like Pedan could have been had on waivers, twice. Clearly, Benning doesn't think along these lines. He sees a skill set he thinks he needs and then overpays for it. That's what he does.

Pouliot could buck the odds and become an NHL regular. That's still possible. Probable? No, but possible. Even so, such an advancement will not disprove his overall value as a depth asset, so why overpay? Uniqueness of skills set? Ok, but that skill set still culminates to providing a replacement level player, so...?

Benning misunderstands asset value at a fundamental level. With a trade like this he reaffirms that perception. He is what he is, and he's not learning.

How do we you know if we could had him on waivers? Canucks don't have first pick)when players going on waivers. Also we don't know if another team wanted to trade for him.

The primary pieces of the trade is a 4th round pick for Pouliot. Pedan was just throw in by the Canucks. Pits doesn't really have a need for Pedan and that's why he is in the AHL.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
How do we you know if we could had him on waivers? Canucks don't have first pick)when players going on waivers. Also we don't know if another team wanted to trade for him.

The primary pieces of the trade is a 4th round pick for Pouliot. Pedan was just throw in by the Canucks. Pits doesn't really have a need for Pedan and that's why he is in the AHL.
Well I think we do have second pick though. Third at worst. We did in finish in second-last place (29th) in the league last season. I'd say our chances of 'landing' Pouliot on the waiver wire were quite a bit better than fair-to-middlin'.

And on the off chance that the team that finished thirtieth scooped him from under our noses, then, so what? Big f***ing deal. He's Derek f***ing Pouliot for heaven's sake. Go out and get another one.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What,,and we cant get back a 4th rnd pick,,are ya kidding me.
Pouliot is what 24,,wow he sure is over the hill.

That's not the point. The point is a rebuilding team should be stockpiling draft picks, not wasting them on another team's draft bust.

Pouliot will be 24 in a couple months. He's in his Draft +6 season and still hasn't been good enough to crack an NHL roster. He also regressed in the AHL last year. He's not someone a team in our position should be wasting assets on.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How do we you know if we could had him on waivers?

We don't. Some posters here are just sure of it like they were with Granlund because they hate Benning. It's not like a team would keep a player for asset management reasons right?

There were strong rumors that the Penguins had a trade in place with Detroit involving Sheahan and Pouliot.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's not the point. The point is a rebuilding team should be stockpiling draft picks, not wasting them on another team's draft bust.

Who made you the master of rebuilds? A rebuilding team should seek out players that they think simply needs an opportunity to play and afford those players the opportunity.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Pouliot will be 24 in a couple months. He's in his Draft +6 season and still hasn't been good enough to crack an NHL roster. He also regressed in the AHL last year. He's not someone a team in our position should be wasting assets on.
Seems that's a very one dimensional view of what rebuilding means...
Taking the position that stock piling picks is the only way to acquire assets and, therefore, shouldn't be traded, is a little short sighted. Definitely should try to retain picks but there has to be a value assessment when a opportunity is presented to move picks for assets.
Also, that isn't entirely true. He played 34 games as a 20 year old and 67 total. He has "cracked an NHL roster", he just hasn't established himself yet as a top 6.

member 290103

I bet Jim Rutherford loves it when Benning phones. He's dumped his sh
We don't. Some posters here are just sure of it like they were with Granlund because they hate Benning. It's not like a team would keep a player for asset management reasons right?

There were strong rumors that the Penguins had a trade in place with Detroit involving Sheahan and Pouliot.

It's not that we don't know that we could have had these players on waivers it's that the teams had come to a point where they were out of options. Granlund was done in Calgary. They were finished with him. Pittburgh was done with Pouliot. Both players were waiver eligible so the teams had no options other than take whatever was offered or move the players.

Shinkaruk was one of the Canucks better prospects when he was moved. While he did not pan out, trading him for a player that the team was finished with and out of options on was foolish. Same with Pouliot. Had it been Pedan only, that would have been fine, but the 4th round pick is foolish.

IKEA

May 31, 2010
SE
Y'know, I'm at the point now where I actually feel bad for Benning, I'm pretty good at reading people and my very first thought when I saw Benning was "OMG, this guy isn't that bright...what the hell is Trev doing?"

But I also didn't get the impression that Jim Benning is a bad guy, actually, my impression always has been that he's a good dude at heart,

Which makes me a little angry at Trev, the guy was my childhood hero and I wouldn't have ever thought he could do wrong in my eyes, but dropping Benning in the pool way out of his depth and making him a laughingstock isn't a nice thing to do.

The thing is, I KNOW Trev isn't stupid, not by a long shot, I've spoken to him on a number of occasions over the years and that much has been clear.

Has this whole thing been some weird plot to devalue the team? I don't know why they would want to do that, but at some point, you can't just think all this stuff is happening by accident.

Why do we have a GM who is straight out of a comedy sketch? That keeps making "In our worst nightmare" deals and seems to do everything the exact opposite of how he should?

Something is starting to seem a little off about this whole thing.

I mean this Pouliot deal seems like it was designed to drive people crazy,

If my memory serves my correctly, we were all eagerly anticipating Trever to announce Benning as GM. He was the then rave across our boards, and also favoured in our media sources.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
The fact that people are crying over a 4th round pick is ridiculous.

Haven't seen pouliet play but I think if he can make a good first pass he'll fit well. Looking at the D pairings, I think he'll have to beat out hutton for his spot. Hutton had a shaky game last night so pouliet might get a chance sooner rather then later.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hutton played really well last night but had one bad giveaway. He was not shaky and is 10x the player that Pouliot is.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
hmm, I didn't really think he had a good game. Got beat on the boards and in front of the net a lot, passes weren't really on point, only guy he was better then was Guddy imo but thats expected.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I bet Jim Rutherford loves it when Benning phones. He's dumped his sh

It's not that we don't know that we could have had these players on waivers it's that the teams had come to a point where they were out of options. Granlund was done in Calgary. They were finished with him. Pittburgh was done with Pouliot. Both players were waiver eligible so the teams had no options other than take whatever was offered or move the players.

Shinkaruk was one of the Canucks better prospects when he was moved. While he did not pan out, trading him for a player that the team was finished with and out of options on was foolish. Same with Pouliot. Had it been Pedan only, that would have been fine, but the 4th round pick is foolish.

Why do so many people like to just assume all the time. Just because Pits and Cal didnt need Pouliot and Grandlund. Doesn't mean they had no other options and just take whatever they can. We don't know if there are few other teams that wanted those players or not. What if there were other teams offered a player or a draft pick.

Pedan for Pouliot wouldn't of been enough because Pits had no need for Pedan. He was just throw in.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Except it's a reasonable assumption to make considering he didn't make their team. And if another team is dumb enough to trade a draft pick for this guy then let them have him. He'll be on waivers eventually.

No, a team like Pittsburgh wouldn't keep a player entering his Draft +6 season who isn't good enough to make their team. They're smart. But hey, you prefer the Jim Benning style of management where we pay to take on other teams garbage and we glut the team with veterans and trade away draft picks during a "rebuild" so this doesn't surprise me. For some, Jim Benning does no wrong. Ignore the results.

Who made you the master of rebuilds? A rebuilding team should seek out players that they think simply needs an opportunity to play and afford those players the opportunity.

It's simple logic. And when you look around the league at successful rebuilds this is how it's been done. But hey, you prefer a rebuild where we glut the team with veterans and where we trade away draft picks. You love management that thought they built a playoff team and fails so massively that they finish bottom 3 in back to back seasons. You love management that lock up 31 year olds to 6 year deals at $6M per, buyout proof. Don't let me, or facts, or logic stop you from loving this management regime.

Seems that's a very one dimensional view of what rebuilding means...
Taking the position that stock piling picks is the only way to acquire assets and, therefore, shouldn't be traded, is a little short sighted. Definitely should try to retain picks but there has to be a value assessment when a opportunity is presented to move picks for assets.
Also, that isn't entirely true. He played 34 games as a 20 year old and 67 total. He has "cracked an NHL roster", he just hasn't established himself yet as a top 6.

So trading away a draft pick for a bust who's in his Draft +6 season is a good idea? Seriously. Is that where the level of intelligence has fallen to? A few years ago we were arguing different analytical comparison and now we've devolved to "hurr trading away a 4th round pick on a rebuilding team for a bust is a good move." My God.

The fact that people are crying over a 4th round pick is ridiculous.

Haven't seen pouliet play but I think if he can make a good first pass he'll fit well. Looking at the D pairings, I think he'll have to beat out hutton for his spot. Hutton had a shaky game last night so pouliet might get a chance sooner rather then later.

This is supposedly a rebuild, right? We're upset that this idiot GM is trading away draft picks for waiver wire players. We also know this GM doesn't trade for draft picks (and keep them).

Pouliot is in his draft +6 season and hasn't been good enough to make an NHL roster. Sure he's played 67 games in the NHL across 5 seasons...that's not very good. But some people prefer to bury their heads in the sand and wish upon a star apparently.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why do so many people like to just assume all the time. Just because Pits and Cal didnt need Pouliot and Grandlund. Doesn't mean they had no other options and just take whatever they can. We don't know if there are few other teams that wanted those players or not. What if there were other teams offered a player or a draft pick.

Pedan for Pouliot wouldn't of been enough because Pits had no need for Pedan. He was just throw in.

Yet we have need to toss away a draft pick for a crappy defenseman who's not an NHL calibre player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad