Confirmed with Link: Derrick Pouliot's here because reasons. Part 1. (#859)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Because Crapliot sucks thats why its brutal. And its just ANOTHER wasted pick. Yeah just a 4th but if noone cares about those picks why dont teams just say nah we wont use our 4th because who cares!

Get real bub
First off the names not bub...and second give the kid a chance.Ya never no,maybe a change of teams helps him.Im not sitting here loosing sleep over loosing a 4th rnd pick like you are.Reĺax the seasons just starting bub...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
First off the names not bub...and second give the kid a chance.Ya never no,maybe a change of teams helps him.Im not sitting here loosing sleep over loosing a 4th rnd pick like you are.Reĺax the seasons just starting bub...

When you have to resort to "ya never know" to justify a Benning acquisition that pretty much means it was a crap acquisition.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It was a minor trade, which you have blown up into one of your crusades.

Wahh wahh stop insulting me.

This is supposed to be a rebuilding team, right? So why the f*** is this team giving away a draft pick for a guy who was on the verge of being waived?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Whether he's up, down or sideways, Pouliot will have to stay on the NHL roster for the entire season.....unless he's injured, not sure the Canucks can even send him to Utica on a conditioning assignment, and after coughing up another draft pick they're not going to risk waivers to send him down. ...so unless he shows something, he could spend a lot of this season munching popcorn in the pressbox....but I guess he'll at least be earning NHL money.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

This is supposed to be a rebuilding team, right? So why the **** is this team giving away a draft pick for a guy who was on the verge of being waived?
Because apparently Colorado is guaranteed to have gobbled him up before we'd have a chance to claim him. He's that good. I mean, sure, Wiercioch has to be considered roughly equivalent at this point and he sailed right through waivers without a claim, but y'know...

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This is supposed to be a rebuilding team, right? So why the **** is this team giving away a draft pick for a guy who was on the verge of being waived?
I don't think that Rutherford had any intention of putting his 8OA on waivers....Not only that,if he did go on waivers..odds on the Av's claiming him for nothing are pretty high...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think that Rutherford had any intention of putting his 8OA on waivers....Not only that,if he did go on waivers..odds on the Av's claiming him for nothing are pretty high...

Wrong.

He didn't make the team so they really had no choice. They called up the village idiot and got a pick for him.

And I highly doubt Colorado even touches him. They let others pass.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Wrong.

He didn't make the team so they really had no choice. They called up the village idiot and got a pick for him.

And I highly doubt Colorado even touches him. They let others pass.
We can both speculate,but I disagree..I don't think he would have gone past Colorado...The rest of your post is your usual predictable stuff.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because apparently Colorado is guaranteed to have gobbled him up before we'd have a chance to claim him. He's that good. I mean, sure, Wiercioch has to be considered roughly equivalent at this point and he sailed right through waivers without a claim, but y'know...

or somebody else makes a less good offer for him to jump the waiver line. and wiercoch cleared waivers. .

so many possibilities. so little basis for preferring one other than preconceived biases. so little chance for a useful discussion based on competing unprovable theories based on preconceived biases.

looking forward to seeing the guy play and figuring out if he busts or makes it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
re: reclamation projects, let's take a stroll down memory lane. looking only at the ones who turned out to have some value for us:

for markus naslund, we gave up alek stojanov, who at 22 years old was struggling to put up even jim sandlak stats in the AHL

for martin gelinas, we gave up nothing. he was on waivers

kyle wellwood, waivers

andrew raycroft was an unrestricted free agent

whereas the sum cost of vey, clendening, baertschi, pedan, gudbranson, etem, larsen, and pouliot, other than gudbranson all realistically waiver wire players at that point in their careers

=

gustav forsling
nicklas jensen (yeah, bust for bust but we threw in a pick why?)
3 x 2nd round picks
1 x 3rd round pick
2 x 4th round picks
1 x 5th round pick
1 x 6th round pick

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
re: reclamation projects, let's take a stroll down memory lane. looking only at the ones who turned out to have some value for us:

for markus naslund, we gave up alek stojanov, who at 22 years old was struggling to put up even jim sandlak stats in the AHL

for martin gelinas, we gave up nothing. he was on waivers

kyle wellwood, waivers

andrew raycroft was an unrestricted free agent

whereas the sum cost of vey, clendening, baertschi, pedan, gudbranson, etem, larsen, and pouliot, other than gudbranson all realistically waiver wire players at that point in their careers

=

gustav forsling
3 x 2nd round picks
1 x 3rd round pick
2 x 4th round picks
1 x 5th round pick
1 x 6th round pick
1 x 1st round pick

Whoa there!

If you're going to counts Gudz then you need to account for the FIRST round pick that was used to get Mc Cann

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I heard a rumor that a player's value can change between the time they were drafted and several years later. Is that true?

Value never changes, You could have Tanev for free, and the most I would pay for Johnny Hockey is a mid round pick.

In itself these types of deals aren't the worst ever... but probably not for teams in our position. This is why this small deal is getting so much attention. It is just the wrong type of move a team like us should be doing. While a fourth is a tiny cost, it is a tiny cost we didn't need to give up.

I just don't think enough people understand hockey acquisition cost. There is a level of player in hockey you just should not be giving up assets for. These are the easy to obtain type players, your 30 point guys who don't do much else, your steady bottom pairing guys or whatever else. Yet we keep giving up assets for these guys like crazy. We are literally paying a ton to swap some deck chairs out on the Titanic hoping this may stop it this time from sinking.

Congrats guys, Jim just paid so we could swap out the old lawn chairs on the Titanic, I am sure when that makes it into the port on North America we will all be able to enjoy it... full speed ahead.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1 x 1st round pick

Whoa there!

If you're going to counts Gudz then you need to account for the FIRST round pick that was used to get Mc Cann

oh oops, my bad. i put in the 2nd and 4th, but forgot the biggest piece.

sum cost of vey, clendening, baertschi, pedan, gudbranson, etem, larsen, and pouliot, other than gudbranson all realistically waiver wire players at that point in their careers

=

jared mccann
gustav forsling
3 x 2nd round picks
1 x 3rd round pick
2 x 4th round picks
1 x 5th round pick
1 x 6th round pick

sum cost of naslund, gelinas, wellwood, and raycroft, i.e. the four unicorn reclamation projects that have worked over the last 25 years = alek stojanov

if i'm being very scrupulous, maybe if i count gudbranson, who is a legit NHL player albeit a bad one, then i should also count bertuzzi.

so naslund, gelinas, bertuzzi, wellwood, and raycroft = alek stojanov + 1/3 to 1/2 of trevor linden's newly flayed corpse

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
or somebody else makes a less good offer for him to jump the waiver line. and wiercoch cleared waivers. .

so many possibilities. so little basis for preferring one other than preconceived biases. so little chance for a useful discussion based on competing unprovable theories based on preconceived biases.

looking forward to seeing the guy play and figuring out if he busts or makes it.
Oh yeah, I'm sure SO many teams were gearing up to make offers for a guy who can't secure a spot on the team who drafted him five years ago. Pfffffffffffft. Gimme a break. Benning once again threw away assets for someone he overvalued due to his draft position.

Reactions: CanaFan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Value never changes, You could have Tanev for free, and the most I would pay for Johnny Hockey is a mid round pick.

In itself these types of deals aren't the worst ever... but probably not for teams in our position. This is why this small deal is getting so much attention. It is just the wrong type of move a team like us should be doing. While a fourth is a tiny cost, it is a tiny cost we didn't need to give up.

I just don't think enough people understand hockey acquisition cost. There is a level of player in hockey you just should not be giving up assets for. These are the easy to obtain type players, your 30 point guys who don't do much else, your steady bottom pairing guys or whatever else. Yet we keep giving up assets for these guys like crazy. We are literally paying a ton to swap some deck chairs out on the Titanic hoping this may stop it this time from sinking.

Congrats guys, Jim just paid so we could swap out the old lawn chairs on the Titanic, I am sure when that makes it into the port on North America we will all be able to enjoy it... full speed ahead.
It's also that Benning keeps on making this kind of deal over and over and won't stop. He keeps throwing away draft picks for older prospects who can't make their team's rosters, his apologists keep acting as though there isn't already a body of work showing a trend in their play, and the team keeps getting worse and has fewer draft picks with which they could finally begin to rebuild the team with (if they ever try). And it's just infuriating to see the same flawed logic and same failed approach over and over again. Benning's learning curve is a flatline.

Reactions: CanaFan

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I asked this earlier (not sure if it's been answered....)....what position were the Canucks in with respect to waiver wire priority claims? Must be pretty high & unless McPhee is an even worse GM than I think he is, I doubt Vegas would put in a claim for another D (when they actually to unload Ds).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sadly, Jimbo's record of scooping up other team's failed draft picks is pretty dismal....about the only players it's worked with are Baertschi and Granlund, both from the Flames... just everybody else flat out sucks.

I can't decide if it's because Jimbo got fixated on these players when he was scouting for the Bruins, and refuses to accept that his initial player assessments when these kids were in junior, was basically flawed. Or maybe he thinks he's better than other teams when it comes to 'player development'....but who knows?

You hope for the best and that Pouliot pans out.....but the track record doesn't inspire much confidence,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad