Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bolded is the most accurate post you've ever made on this forum.

--acquired for assets just before he was due to hit waivers: check.
--team he left had better options at his position but we should somehow be better for his presence: check.
--given lots and lots of unearned icetime: check.
--fanbase of team he comes from warning us he sucks: check.
--Benning fanboys pump him up when he clearly sucks: check.
--soft, gutless player who's useless along the boards and fades anytime the going gets tough: check.
--has same weaknesses since being drafted but Benning somehow thinks they're going to go away now: check.

Yup. He is most definitely this year's Granlund.

Called it.
Holy......pretty zealous post there...conversely,theres always another point of view..

Pouliot trade has been a steal of a deal for Canucks

Reactions: Numba9 and Nomobo

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
December 8 seems so far away.
You're right..It's a clear demonstration of the bi polar Canuck fans that go from one extreme to another..Last week he was the hero and the 1st star of the game,to the apparent goat a week later..

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Expected occurrence: borderline NHLer has a string of good games!

Unexpected occurrence: borderline NHLer has more than a string of good games and manages not to regress.

The only thing Pouliot has done so far is the first thing.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I luckily missed the Nashville game. Pouliot has been very consistent in other games. He however is not good enough to overcome bad team play or poor play by partner. If team and partner are ok he plays well.

Reactions: Nomobo

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
trying to be a difference maker when the team is sucking is good i guess, but he needs to play defence more often. better last night in a team effort, but i think when things get scrambly he gets a bit scrambled.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I luckily missed the Nashville game. Pouliot has been very consistent in other games. He however is not good enough to overcome bad team play or poor play by partner. If team and partner are ok he plays well.

Yeah, he essentially will need a Tanev-like partner every game otherwise his head goes into space when the game gets tough and tighter.

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
Yeah, he essentially will need a Tanev-like partner every game otherwise his head goes into space when the game gets tough and tighter.

In his first ten games he was solid on the ice, had three assists and was +1 while playing second pairing minutes. His advanced stats were among the best on the team. I don't think he was ever paired with Tanev in that stretch.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Actually he wasn't the 1st star of that game:

Game Summary
Your right ..2nd star.....

I thought that Pouliot had a pretty decent game last night (over 23 minutes)...Biega was great..Hutton still somehow managed to stickhandle himself into trouble in his own zone (contrast that with Biega,your typical North-South player who just makes the basic play to get the puck out).

Stecher had the lowest ice time (I don't think that he completely has the the coach's trust,unlike like year under Willie).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Great to see Pouliot get back on the horse after an ugly -5 against Nashville.....that's the kind of game that would have landed him in the pressbox for 10 games in Pittsburgh or even banished to the AHL.....Canucks are letting him play through the inevitable tough nights and they'll have a better player for it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Your right ..2nd star.....

I thought that Pouliot had a pretty decent game last night (over 23 minutes)...Biega was great..Hutton still somehow managed to stickhandle himself into trouble in his own zone (contrast that with Biega,your typical North-South player who just makes the basic play to get the puck out).

Stecher had the lowest ice time (I don't think that he completely has the the coach's trust,unlike like year under Willie).
To be fair, I didn't want to totally discount his performance that game - he had a pretty good game.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So it's a neo-rebuild then? A rebuild that has no precedent. Benning is actually forging the first rebuild of its kind before our very eyes?

This doesn't even make sense. Is there a rebuild textbook you're following, and why would it matter anyway? So easy to see the thinly veiled criticisms from folks with zero actual knowledge and zero experience.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
This doesn't even make sense. Is there a rebuild textbook you're following, and why would it matter anyway? So easy to see the thinly veiled criticisms from folks with zero actual knowledge and zero experience.

Nick if you’re gonna consistently crap on people’s lack of hockey knowledge you should probably post some evidence of your own

Blah blah I was pro in Europe says the random message board guy

Reactions: sunnyvale420

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I've seen a multitude of your posts on the topic re: Benning. I don't know where you were educated on all things management, but it's as far away from business management as one can get. It's alien to the fundamental process of management, IMO. And I say this having experience in that field. So as soon as you want to try and put something forward in that respect, feel free. I would be more than happy to debate it with you.

As for a rebuild: There's this thing called "precedent". Hockey has been around for 100+ years, and there are countless examples of franchises trying to rebuild. What Benning is doing here is atypical of a rebuild. It's not representative of those examples. If you want to contend that it is typical, I'm all eyes/ears. But until you do, and provide a rationale and evidence to support your claim, save the ad hominem.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As for a rebuild: There's this thing called "precedent". Hockey has been around for 100+ years, and there are countless cases of franchises trying to rebuild. What Benning is doing here is atypical of that method. It's not representative of those examples. If you want to contend that it's typical, I'm all eyes/ears. But until you do, save the ad hominem.

What's typical and what isn't? The Red Wings from Yzerman onwards rebuilt/retooled more similarly to what Benning has been trying to do than what you are suggesting as typical. I think Brian Burke would concur with Benning's method as well. Mike Gillis wanted to "reset" rather than rebuild. Then there's the strip everything down and accumulate draft picks type of rebuild. Some of these rebuilds were unsuccessful like the Tambellini Oilers rebuild and the first version of the Jets rebuild.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What's typical and what isn't? The Red Wings from Yzerman onwards rebuilt/retooled more similarly to what Benning has been trying to do than what you are suggesting as typical. I think Brian Burke would concur with Benning's method as well. Mike Gillis wanted to "reset" rather than rebuild. Then there's the strip everything down and accumulate draft picks type of rebuild. Some of these rebuilds were unsuccessful like the Tambellini Oilers rebuild and the first version of the Jets rebuild.

The accumulation of draft picks as the paramount action of any rebuilding team. Benning does not do this. Therefore, his method is atypical of rebuilds.

The Red Wings were able to retool successfully. They did not rebuild.

Brian Burke has never rebuilt a team in his existence as GM.

Are you trying to convey what Gillis would have done now? Please cite your source. Thx.

Last edited:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Mike Gillis was the best GM this franchise has had.. I'm sure if we had him for the last 4 year versus Benning we would be in a much better position.

It's sad how much people are trying to rave hype up Pouliot. Kind of funny considering we gave up a much better version of him in Forsling for nothing.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
People have forgotten what a good defencemen look like under the Benning regime because he's brought in so much crap.

Gudbransson Sbisa Weber Bartkowski Larsen pedan etc. All garbage so Pouliot actually looks a bit promising when compared to this group of turds.

In reality he's a Marc Andre gragnani who will be out of the league in a couple years.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Mike Gillis was the best GM this franchise has had.. I'm sure if we had him for the last 4 year versus Benning we would be in a much better position.
Really don't want to get into this, but it must be some kind of powerful repression that enables people to place faith in a GM who drafted a single quality NHL player in Horvat (who Benning and Desjardins did a masterful job developing) in 6 years! Of course because of this and general incomptence, Gillis hasn't even gotten a sniff in terms of future NHL employment, despite his online fan club.

By contrast, Benning drafted what looks like 5 in his first draft, without even his own scouting system in place. Drafting is by far the most important part of a rebuild, and Benning on his worst day blows Gillis's best day out of the water. It's funny that people held on for so long to the 2013 draft being an improvement. Not.

OK I'm done. I'll write your replies for you, so you don't have to: blah blah he was scouting OVERLORD in Boston (shhh about Buffalo, ancient history), Benning fans always bring up Gillis (nope, just replying to the usual pining), there's other parts of being a GM like uh capology (I heard Gilman is teaching it a community college these days) and asset management (or in other words, treating people like trinkets)! Please tell me I covered them all so we don't have to drag this thread off topic.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Benning has had picks 5,5,6,23,24 not to mention the top pick in every round whereas Gillis was dealing with 29's. Gillis was a pretty big deligator contrary to popular belief. How can you pin the drafting on him when he was with the team all season. The drafting is on our head scouts and scouts. Do you think he just stat watched and picked players? Give me a break. Horvat and Hodgson are the only players I'll pin on Gillis

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Completely disagree with the above, but to bring this back to Pouliot, the point I'm making is that Benning wouldn't have to spend so many of his own assets chasing a young offensive defenceman if Gillis hadn't whiffed on picks like Shinkaruk (over Theodore) or Gaunce (over Skjei).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad