Prospect Info: Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I, on the other hand, would have taken Trouba over Pouliot if I had to take a D at that spot. He's having a phenomenal year, just like Pouliot but he would have really put our D over the top.

Like others have stated, its too late now and I'm rooting for DePo.
Yeah but DePo puts the Pens defense over the top too. Something else that needs to be mentioned is that the Pens only true PP QB in the entire organization is Pouliot. As great as Letang is he's not that natural PP QB even though he's a good offensive defenseman. Pouliot just brings that natural passing ability that very few have.

Pouliot's in a very strange situation. A lot of people seem to like him but not like the pick... myself included even though I'm warming up to it. It kind of reminds me of Goligoski. People seem to validate drafting an army of defense by saying that defensemen have value for trades later but isn't it still best to go with BPA? The better player will always bring better assets with the only exception being goalies because they never hold any value when trading. It almost sounds overly simplistic but its pretty clear that the Pens value defense almost a little to much.

As much as I'm on the fence about the Pens drafting, I look at that prospect list and really like what I see. The Pens go almost 10 deep with some pretty high end prospects, looking at upside, for a team thats been among the leagues elite over the past 8 years.

What kind of a player do people think Grigs will be? IMO he could be a Yashin or Robert lang. Big, skilled and really good but he'll always leave teams and fans wanting more. He's without question a center and not an overly good fit for the Pens but as far as him being BPA at the time... I'm just not sure.

A player like Forsberg would have been nice for the Pens and there were some Iggy comparisons going around but I've never been a huge fan of his. IMO the Iggy comparisons were totally off the mark. Even before Iginla became Iginla he was a better player than Forsberg. IMO a better comparison or Forsberg is B Morrow if he can find a nasty streak or Patrick Sharp.

For me it comes down to questioning if Pouliot is BPA??? Defensemen that can pass like that don't come around very often and I do think that organizational need for a PP QB is there just as much as a scoring winger. I put Pouliots upside pretty high and think he can QB a PP like Zubov or Kaberle. Thats elite status but I do think he's that good.

Milliardo

Jun 6, 2010
Zürich
I think Kaberle is a very good comparison actually.

And be assured, the Pens went BPA, you might not agree that he was the BPA, but for the Pens, he was.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If DP turns into Kaberle in the mid-late 2000's, we have a top pairing defenseman on our hands.

penguins2946*

I don't doubt that Pouliot could become another Kabarle. The issue is that he wouldn't complement Letang very well, so they would have to be on different pairs. It will be interesting to see what the Pens will do with their D prospects over the next few years, because they have a bunch of offensive guys, but not a lot of defensive guys.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I don't doubt that Pouliot could become another Kabarle. The issue is that he wouldn't complement Letang very well, so they would have to be on different pairs. It will be interesting to see what the Pens will do with their D prospects over the next few years, because they have a bunch of offensive guys, but not a lot of defensive guys.

We actually have several talented defensive-D prospects, some of which are NHL-ready, but since they have limited puck-moving skills or offensive output, they get less respect than Rodney Dangerfield. They are certainly there though.

penguins2946*

We actually have several talented defensive-D prospects, some of which are NHL-ready, but since they have limited puck-moving skills or offensive output, they get less respect than Rodney Dangerfield. They are certainly there though.

I mean future top-pair defensive D. I know Bortuzzo isn't bad, neither is Ruopp, but neither really stand out as a viable replacement to someone like Orpik. Now someone like Zadorov, :naughty:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Harrington, although he projects more of a second pair guy. Either way, there's quite enough talent in the pool to turn up some quality, balanced pairings.

penguins2946*

Harrington, although he projects more of a second pair guy. Either way, there's quite enough talent in the pool to turn up some quality, balanced pairings.

Harrington is the obvious one, but outside of him, we don't have any super talented shutdown D other than him. Yeah, we have Dumoulin, Despres and Maatta, but I don't consider them elite shutdown D prospects. I'd consider them elite 2-way D prospects :D

Karnage420*

Harrington is the obvious one, but outside of him, we don't have any super talented shutdown D other than him. Yeah, we have Dumoulin, Despres and Maatta, but I don't consider them elite shutdown D prospects. I'd consider them elite 2-way D prospects :D

elite? no.
very good. yes.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
DePo is still out of he lineup. I guess he's still injured. Sucks that he's missed so many games for a minor injury that's supposed to only allow him to miss a couple of games.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
with DP out with an injury I guess any chance of seeing him at training camp is gone?

Not sure if he would've been pulled into camp anyway but still...

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
they're not inviting junior players to camp anyway IMO.

At least WBS will be part of it but in geneal, it will be difficult for most AHL to play their schedule if some of their best players in th AHL will be busy being part of an NHL training camp).

On the bright side, Despres is well rested (LOL) :laugh:

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Yesterday night, Pouliot finished the game with 0 points and a +2. His D partner scored 3 pts in the last few minutes of the game to take the scoring lead in D.

Pouliot is not leading the WHL or his own team in points anymore. His D partner, Troy Rutkowski is leading the WHL with 40 pts in 42 games although Pouliot is at a point per game pace (38 in 38). Interesting to see that Rutkowski is a UFA since he was let go by Colorado this summer. He's righthanded and has some decent size. Would be nice to sign him if we trade some of our excess D this year for help on the wing.

Although Morrow and Rutkowski were both overagers, they always performed extremely well when paired with Pouliot and its kinda weird to see that they'd outscore him in the process when Pouliot is the one that is more renowned for his offensive prowess. Just saying...

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Morrow never played an over age season in the WHL. I think he just turned 20 not too long ago.

Rutkowski wouldn't be a bad pick up. I advocated drafting him a few years back with the caveat that he works on his play in his own zone and improves his skating a touch.

Keep in mind that he's almost two years older than DP and playing in his fifth full WHL season.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Morrow never played an over age season in the WHL. I think he just turned 20 not too long ago.

Rutkowski wouldn't be a bad pick up. I advocated drafting him a few years back with the caveat that he works on his play in his own zone and improves his skating a touch.

Keep in mind that he's almost two years older than DP and playing in his fifth full WHL season.

You're right about Morrow. Good one.

As for Rutkowski, I don't see a reason why they'd want to sign here given the logjam of D however that might change if Ray decides to ship some of them this year for help on the wings.

Mr T., have you watched Pouliot closely this year? How is he progressing? Any improvements?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yesterday night, Pouliot finished the game with 0 points and a +2. His D partner scored 3 pts in the last few minutes of the game to take the scoring lead in D.

Pouliot is not leading the WHL or his own team in points anymore. His D partner, Troy Rutkowski is leading the WHL with 40 pts in 42 games although Pouliot is at a point per game pace (38 in 38). Interesting to see that Rutkowski is a UFA since he was let go by Colorado this summer. He's righthanded and has some decent size. Would be nice to sign him if we trade some of our excess D this year for help on the wing.

Although Morrow and Rutkowski were both overagers, they always performed extremely well when paired with Pouliot and its kinda weird to see that they'd outscore him in the process when Pouliot is the one that is more renowned for his offensive prowess. Just saying...

There's a lot wrong with this post.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad