Speculation: Dermott does seem the most likely trade chip if they intend to deal from their roster - Spec

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
He a good fit for 3rd pair/depth, good cap hit, liked in the room (I think), value probably is at a low ... I wouldn't look to trade him but if he's part of getting an upgraded return, sure. If he goes for a forward D depth will likely need to be replaced down the road; the top teams have more than 6 NHL quality D.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Friedman brought up his name again on The Fan this morning.

It's a wait and see situation to me as far as I'm concerned.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He's probably worth keeping in the event of injuries even if we lose him in the expansion draft. The odds of trading him for an exempt top-9 forward are slim. Maxime Comtois would be my expansion exempt target, but he'd probably cost one of our exempt Swedish defensemen as Anaheim already has four defensemen to protect. Detroit only needs to protect Cholo and Hronek on D, so maybe they'd take him on, but I imagine they could fill that third spot with a better player. Veleno would be my target if we went that route though. At this point I consider Dermott an own rental.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
expansion draft considerations aside, he's back to being what he was before last year for this season as a whole - hugely positive possession player, few mistakes, steals pucks at a much greater rate than gets them stolen, thinks fast and doesn't look out of his depth against anyone. I can't think of the last time we had a defenseman of this caliber around the fringes of our roster which I guess is a good thing.

I think that if he does get traded, it's to a team that will have space for him to move up the roster, and there's an excellent chance that he turns into a Brodin type that is a no doubt top 4 but also can play up the lineup when need be.

Sucks that we can't just sit back and wait on all of these pieces.

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I'm a fan of Dermott's and all he needs is to be plugged in and allowed to play regularly to gain his confidence..I believe he'll be a very solid middle pairing defenceman given a chance...Unfortunately it looks like it won't be with us.... I think we'll regret losing him down the road if that happens...
Couldn't agree more. He's never been given the opportunity to flourish the way he's capable of, and if it's not with us it'll be with someone else.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Couldn't agree more. He's never been given the opportunity to flourish the way he's capable of, and if it's not with us it'll be with someone else.
well he did have that stint last year where Rielly & Muzzin were hurt and the Dermott/Holl pairing got the #1 matchups and 20+ mins. He was excellent in that role, and honestly Holl wasn't good, but Dermott's play made the pairing positive in all of the possession metrics. Small sample and brought on by injuries, but hard not to see that as a positive indicator

Reactions: kk87

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd like to see him get more ice, he looks a lot more steady and composed than past years, calmer and less frenetic. I love having a guy on the 3rd pair that I'm confident could get the job done in the top 4.

f*** expansion.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We should keep him until Lehtonen proves he can handle the role full time.

Dermott has been solid this season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's a good player. Unfortunately stuck behind some top end LHD and the RHDs have been just as good this year. And then we have Sandin waiting as well.

At the end of the day, I think the Leafs need to gain as much value as possible for him. Leafs need a LW upgrade badly and you have to give to get.

Reactions: Menzinger

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's a good player. Unfortunately stuck behind some top end LHD and the RHDs have been just as good this year. And then we have Sandin waiting as well.

At the end of the day, I think the Leafs need to gain as much value as possible for him. Leafs need a LW upgrade badly and you have to give to get.
Gotta imagine that Sandin is better suited to fill a Rielly role than a Dermott role assuming all goes well with his development. I think the usage for Sandin & Dermott will be fairly opposite and their tools are too.

I know it's not as simple as which one of those guys you choose, but ultimately I see Sandin cannibalizing more of Rielly's time if he turns out than anyone else's

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The better Anderson, Boyd, Engvall and Barabanov do, the less likely it is to acquire someone in a trade. And obviously they've done very well when playing in the past couple days.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think we're going to lose him to Seattle. If we protect 4 dmen, and its between him and Holl for that 4th spot, Holl will be protected. So we're trading him, losing him to Seattle or paying Seattle not to take him. I'm not even sure anyone will trade for him knowing they'll need to protect him in expansion. Just about every team has 3 D better than Dermott.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The better Anderson, Boyd, Engvall and Barabanov do, the less likely it is to acquire someone in a trade. And obviously they've done very well when playing in the past couple days.

Engvall yes... Anderson has been ok... Boyd and Barabanov tire fires defensively.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Regardless if he is traded I really find it hard to see a long term future for him on this team. Stuck behind Rielly and Muzzin on the left while also blocking Sandin. Holl and Brodie look to have nailed on spots for the top 4 RD so I do not see where Dermott fits in. Don't think he will want to be a bottom pairing guy for much longer but that is all he can be on the leafs currently

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dubas has also been creative in making deals work, if we really want to keep Dermott I think we will unless he & Holl end up being absolute studs that project high in a defense. Like if he finishes this year as a relatively dominant 3rd pairing dman (as he has for most of his career) and Lehtonen doesn't shit the bed while showing off some offensive chops, would something like giving Seattle a 2nd/3rd to take Lehtonen instead make sense? I think there's deals to be made on a front like that

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't want to make it seem like "Dermott's name is out there, therefore he sucks".

I don't think he is a problem, but like a lot of players in the past (Brown, Leivo, Timashov, etc.) some become victims of being lower down the depth charts.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Top teams don't trade young defenders who are in learning mode especially ones who can fly and play defense ... not for a freaking winger ... OMG how stupid ... too many people/fans think offense which means squat when you get into a tough playoff round ... you need 9 defenders ready to go to survive a war

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad