Speculation: Dermott does seem the most likely trade chip if they intend to deal from their roster - Spec

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"Jonas Siegel acknowledged Saturday’s report by Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman claiming the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to improve their forward depth with Joe Thornton and Nick Robertson sidelined by injuries.
Siegel wondered if the Leafs might draw upon their apparent surplus of defensemen. He suggested Travis Dermott as the likely trade candidate citing his limited ice time this season.
That could be a risky move, as Dermott could be worth retaining in case injuries strike the defense corps. Trading him would also leave the Leafs having to expose another defenseman at this summer’s expansion draft."

Spector's notes:

"Dermott does seem the most likely trade chip if they intend to deal from their roster."

NHL Rumor Mill – January 25, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Could be Lehtonen as well, hes stuck in the press box and could still have value from KHL dman of the year hype.

He's also UFA and unlikely to resign (not playing now, if he gets in and plays well we probably cant afford him), plus we have Sandin as an offensive dman behind him.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Could be Lehtonen as well, hes stuck in the press box and could still have value from KHL dman of the year hype.

He's also UFA and unlikely to resign (not playing now, if he gets in and plays well we probably cant afford him), plus we have Sandin as an offensive dman behind him.

Yeah I wonder. Lehtonen is used so sparingly. It seems surprising, but does Dubas have too many defensemen?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Dermott probably holds the greater trade value due to the fact of where he was drafted. Its questionable how much Lehoten was on the radar of over teams and likely needs more proving time before he'd have trade value. Thr fact it's a shortened season makes it even harder to build mid season value

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Lehtonen and Bogosian are pending UFAs. I wouldn't close the book on Dermott's Leaf career just yet. This expansion draft will be tougher on the team compared to the previous one with VGK. We'll likely lose a roster player. Whom that is remains to be seen. It is surprising though that Dermott is closer to Bogosian and Lehtonen as a rotational player/healthy scratch possibility than he is to the top four.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
i would love to see this 20 to 25 year forward that is making under 1 mil and is available.
Who is currently more difficult to replace? Holl vs Dermott vs Kerfoot.

HOLL ... is our best D at this point.

either way the only player dermott can be traded for is a player who is on an ELC or severely underpaid. the salaries need to match up. These guys dont grow on trees and i cant even thik of 1 example

either that or its for a depth winger and picks , which isn't ideal

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It would be very short sighted to trade dermott for a forward that doesn’t have term and doesn’t replace someone, like, Hyman who is due for a raise next year.

I would only entertain offers for players of Hyman’s current ilk and price with 3+ years on contract.

So he's basically untouchable in your mind then

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We need to keep a D under contract exposed during the expansion draft. We wouldn’t be able to trade Dermott without getting back a D with term

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
We need to expose a D and also have a replacement D for the dude picked
LHD: Rielly, Dermott, Muzzin
RHD: Brodie, Holl

Also, check out our schedule in feb and apr. Bodies will be dropping.

We really should see if Dermott can play top-4 minutes, though. He might get that chance as I foresee injuries coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao and Brobust

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Dermott being a trade chip makes the most sense. It’s very likely we loose him otherwise in the expansion draft. It’s unfortunate because him and Bogosian looked to be developing good chemistry and being a rock solid third pairing.

One guy I was hoping for this past offseason was Jared McCann from Pittsburg, unlikely with his hot start though and a 2.9 million cap hit.

If he cools down however, maybe something along the lines of Dermott, Engvall and a pick for McCann and a little bit of salary retained?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad