Value of: Derek Ryan

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ryan has been a very serviceable bottom 6, two way center, that can fill in up and down the line up. Very solid guy on the PK and makes players around him better. He has one year remaining at $3.13 million.
Definitely not a guy you want to lose but could be a cap casualty. Probably looking for straight futures or waiver exempt prospects.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In a normal off season, he could fetch a 2nd rounder max.

Now? Could probably put him on waivers and no one would still pick him up. If no one wanted Johnson, I don’t see anyone wanting Ryan.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In a normal off season, he could fetch a 2nd rounder max.

Now? Could probably put him on waivers and no one would still pick him up. If no one wanted Johnson, I don’t see anyone wanting Ryan.
There's a huge difference in contract term. An expiring contract, on a useful player, is basically a no risk acquisition, if you have the cap space. Johnson is a 4 year commitment with a NTC. For a guy that only managed 2 more points than Ryan and almost $2 million more per season, that's a huge commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Might be able to get a 4th or 5th maybe...most teams have no cap room now or have internal caps

Reactions: BK201

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I dont think flames would be interested, but I wonder if a deal swapping Marcus Sorenson for him would make some sense for the sharks to fill our 3c spot. Would give the flames 1.7 mil cap space

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Ottawa could pull it off but we have a lot of players with similar skill sets already.

I don't think they would be interested.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa could pull it off but we have a lot of players with similar skill sets already.

I don't think they would be interested.

I'd do Chlapik for Ryan and a 4th or something like that. Paul-Ryan-Watson would be a nice bottom 6 line. White is also our only RS C currently, and he may be more of a winger than a C.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I like Ryan, he's a solid and versatile bottom 6 player. Only reason the Flames would trade him is to get cap space, so only picks and prospects coming back in a trade. With the current market I dont know how realistic that would be, so all things considered rather keep him than trade him for lesser player with smaller cap hit. Unless Flames are getting really tight with cap space

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They play 2 totally different styles. Offensive vs Defensive.

unless Montour wants to be a bottom pairing RD, then sure. Had nothing to do with style of play, it had more to do with ice time allocation. I’ve a hard time believing Montour earning more minutes than Andersson and Tanev.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I don’t think so. I think our #3, RD is the largest hole in our lineup.

Nikita Nesterov mean nothing to you? :)

Some people also think Kylington would fit that role.

IMO we are fine on D at the moment, adding another one will just complicate things (unless we're moving one of the current top 4 in a trade.)

Our D depth chart right now:
Gio
Andersson
Hanifin
Tanev
Valimaki
Nesterov
Mackey
Petrovic
Lerby
Poolman
Yelesin
Kinnvall

and Kylington who is an RFA.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
There's a huge difference in contract term. An expiring contract, on a useful player, is basically a no risk acquisition, if you have the cap space. Johnson is a 4 year commitment with a NTC. For a guy that only managed 2 more points than Ryan and almost $2 million more per season, that's a huge commitment.

Who has $3M in space for him? the rebuilding teams who arent interested in 1 yr rentals.

try and wait till deadline

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Who has $3M in space for him? the rebuilding teams who arent interested in 1 yr rentals.

try and wait till deadline
I disagree. I think lots of rebuilding team would have interest in acquiring a rental, for a fair price, in hopes of a potential better return at the deadline. Even a budget team, like the Panthers, might look at Ryan as a cheap option to play higher in the line up, than he may normally

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Nikita Nesterov mean nothing to you? :)

Some people also think Kylington would fit that role.

IMO we are fine on D at the moment, adding another one will just complicate things (unless we're moving one of the current top 4 in a trade.)

Our D depth chart right now:
Gio
Andersson
Hanifin
Tanev
Valimaki
Nesterov
Mackey
Petrovic
Lerby
Poolman
Yelesin
Kinnvall

and Kylington who is an RFA.
I think its workable but once Tanev goes down, it looks pretty weak. I mean Tanev has missed an average of 27 games per season the last 4 years(assuming Canuck rumors that he was injured when the season was postponed are true). We have the depth to pull through but $6 million in deadline space, to replace Tanev, could be pretty handy.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think its workable but once Tanev goes down, it looks pretty weak. I mean Tanev has missed an average of 27 games per season the last 4 years(assuming Canuck rumors that he was injured when the season was postponed are true). We have the depth to pull through but $6 million in deadline space, to replace Tanev, could be pretty handy.
Tanev is likely to miss less time in a condensed season, and I think you gotta roll with that kind of risk to keep our pretty insane forward depth.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This is not a rumor. Tanev got hurt and left the game. Original reports came out that Tanev would miss the rest of the regular season but the season was stopped and Tanev was healthy for the playoffs. Not sure why you would question this.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tanev is likely to miss less time in a condensed season, and I think you gotta roll with that kind of risk to keep our pretty insane forward depth.
For me its not a matter of how much time he misses, its when. There won't be an extended break to heel up before the playoffs this year and having $1.5 million in deadline space leaves us in a poor position.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I disagree. I think lots of rebuilding team would have interest in acquiring a rental, for a fair price, in hopes of a potential better return at the deadline. Even a budget team, like the Panthers, might look at Ryan as a cheap option to play higher in the line up, than he may normally

Thry might take him at $2M for a 7th...you will not get the value you thought. You will have to wait till the deadline.

There are other teams well over the cap who need to unload contracts. These teams thst have space aren’t giving you anything where players like Eriksdon carry a 1st+ attached.

For me its not a matter of how much time he misses, its when. There won't be an extended break to heel up before the playoffs this year and having $1.5 million in deadline space leaves us in a poor position.

If it’s a short season with a smaller playoff group making the playoffs there likely isn’t much deadline movement.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Thry might take him at $2M for a 7th...you will not get the value you thought. You will have to wait till the deadline.

There are other teams well over the cap who need to unload contracts. These teams thst have space aren’t giving you anything where players like Eriksdon carry a 1st+ attached.

If it’s a short season with a smaller playoff group making the playoffs there likely isn’t much deadline movement.
Its an expansion draft year, with a number of players signing discount, one year contracts. It may be the busiest trade deadline ever.

Eriksson has been done for a few years, is not useful and isn't an expiring contract. We're not talking about a negative value player here.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Its an expansion draft year, with a number of players signing discount, one year contracts. It may be the busiest trade deadline ever.

Erikson has been done for a few years, is not useful and isn't an expiring contract. We're not talking about a negative value player here.

You are missing the point....

Those teams aren’t trying to necessarily win. Thry want yo get a haul for helping a team out of thrir ca hell. Do they aren’t in the market to use up thrift vsluesbke cap dosce fir Ryan

Think if their cap space as rent in sn spartmrnt building. Thr linger the term the more thry tske in...instead of having to give stuff out to bring people in.

Vancouver ..Loui at 50%= Ryan but one yrmore. Vsncouver includes giving them a 1st. Calgary wants to get a 3rd from the devils for the same space 1 yr less term. Vancouver takes the 1st eadily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad