OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Really? So you wouldn’t have to take the EAS or CST’s? That’d be huge for you guys. Maybe they can waive the masters requirement and give me my f***ing professional certificate? Lol
I’m moving to TN in the summer and I just found out the initial certification doesn’t transfer over so I gotta take like 3 Praxis tests on top of getting them all kinds of other stuff. Hard to do that when the US is essentially closed for business....

I already took the EAS, but apparently the CST’s and EdTPA (if people were doing that) will just be passed.

The initial certification doesn’t transfer over to Tennessee? That was one of the states I was looking at going to and my school tells me a certification from New York is essentially good anywhere. I’m curious what else do you have to get for them? Had a feeling it wasn’t going to be a clean transfer of my certification!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I already took the EAS, but apparently the CST’s and EdTPA (if people were doing that) will just be passed.

The initial certification doesn’t transfer over to Tennessee? That was one of the states I was looking at going to and my school tells me a certification from New York is essentially good anywhere. I’m curious what else do you have to get for them? Had a feeling it wasn’t going to be a clean transfer of my certification!

Every state has different requirements, obviously, and New York's does transfer to a lot of places (my state for example) but anyone saying it's good anywhere is lying.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
My father is a professor emeritus at the American Society of Microbiology. His specialty over the last 40 years has been bacterial and viral infectious diseases.

He thinks it's a big show. The data he sees behind the curtain doesn't match the response. The reason the people at the hospitals are overrun is because the response is overblown.
So he’s not a clinician, gotcha.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
it's a big show. not as serious as they proclaim.
Apologies for dropping in as a member of an “enemy” board, but my brother is an ICU doc in Philly where they haven’t even hit the surge yet, and I promise you it’s bad. Really, REALLY bad. He’s been given one mask *for the week*; patients in his limited exposure went from 0 last week to 12 two days ago to 24 yesterday (I haven’t heard from him today); and he’s got friends in NYC hospitals who’ve been directed not to share statistics.

I genuinely look forward to screaming at your team through the TV again. But in the meantime, please do what the doctors and scientists say. Be safe, stay home. Wash your hands.

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

Yeah, I unfortunately learned this recently the hard way. Since I don’t have my professional yet, it’s gonna take more work than I thought to get my practitioner license there. Check your PM

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Like I said he’s not a clinician who actually has contact with patients, gotcha.

Right. He's not. But, I feel like you're conflating two separate issues. I understand it's not easy for some folks right now. That's not what I was commenting on. Best of luck to your friends and family, friend.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Apologies for dropping in as a member of an “enemy” board, but my brother is an ICU doc in Philly where they haven’t even hit the surge yet, and I promise you it’s bad. Really, REALLY bad. He’s been given one mask *for the week*; patients in his limited exposure went from 0 last week to 12 two days ago to 24 yesterday (I haven’t heard from him today); and he’s got friends in NYC hospitals who’ve been directed not to share statistics.

I genuinely look forward to screaming at your team through the TV again. But in the meantime, please do what the doctors and scientists say. Be safe, stay home, Wash your hands.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Athletic ran an article today. Basically rank the teams broadcasts. Boston came in as the worst. Isles came in 11th best.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Athletic ran an article today. Basically rank the teams broadcasts. Boston came in as the worst. Isles came in 11th best.

Gotta be Shannon doing all the work -- Brendan and Butch make my ears bleed. And dont even get me going on King.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Gotta be Shannon doing all the work -- Brendan and Butch make my ears bleed. And dont even get me going on King.
Consensus was Brendan is top notch and Burchies malapropisms were endearing in a senile uncle sort of way.

but Boston is definitely sub awful.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I started watching Sharks games so many years ago because i enjoyed their broadcasts as compared to the other late games...have to say, i am intrigued with the ranking o f the Jets games...never really watched...will do so when play starts again. As for Carolina...live here...Forsland is awesome...top notch in the biz, but Tripp...can not stand listening to him...do not understand any love for him....i could replace him with just about anyone and the broadcast would be killer to watch.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Consensus was Brendan is top notch and Burchies malapropisms were endearing in a senile uncle sort of way.

but Boston is definitely sub awful.

Agree with quality of broadcast for Brendan -- its the voice which is his downfall. Can we get Barry White or Howard Stern to do some play by play? (retaining Brendan's hockey knowledge)

Reactions: bigtim1988

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
Agree with quality of broadcast for Brendan -- its the voice which is his downfall. Can we get Barry White or Howard Stern to do some play by play? (retaining Brendan's hockey knowledge)

That would be incredible, I’d love that shit.

stern isn’t quite as good as he used to be, but that guy is one of my hero’s. Both 6’5, Scrawny and awkward.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
These are my lines in NHL '14. Just won an international-style tournament with only NHL teams (keeping things interesting).

Hall-Barz-Ebs
Beau-Nelson-Bailey
Lee-JGP-Clutter
Martin-CC-Ladd

Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Leddy-Greene

Sorokin
Nabby (Russian influence)

Boychuk agreed to waive so I could acquire Hall. ;)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Anybody play the following games?

League of Legends
NHL 20 (EASHL)
FIFA 20 (Pro Clubs)

I have two friends who are amazing at League and then there is me and like 2-3 of my friends that are learning and not very good. NHL and FIFA my teams are pretty good though and we need more people to play with.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Hey all,
Just wanted to pass on sincere best wishes to all you good guys on here in NY and the wider US, we're thinking of you.
Hope you're all doing okay, taking care and staying healthy.
We're getting a lot of stories on the situation in NY in Australia and none of it seems good. Scary times.
Hard to believe it's same place we visited in October when I see footage of the deserted streets. I only hope my Isles brothers and sisters are doing as okay as is possible n this crisis ,especially anyone on the medical front line.
Personally, lucky enough to live in a regional area and on a semi rural property, so isolation not hard for us, and few local cases at this stage.
I work from home and career up in air, but a minor issue in scheme of things.
Kids going stir crazy but youngest playing lots of NHL 19.
Life was better than we knew and hopefully we return to normalcy again soon.
I can't wait until we're discussing all matters Islanders again and arguing amongst ourselves about that day's game.
Stay safe!

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I have been bored as hell. Kind of tough not getting to see my grandparents on my birthday Saturday but I suppose we can do a double celebration when the Isles win the Stanley Cup this summer and my birthday?

Also, just have to reach out to my fellow teacher @Riseonfire to let him know if schools close through May 1st apparently the state is going to just push all student teachers through the program and give us certifications even though we have not taken all tests nor gotten the proper student teaching hours yet. Too bad I already took the edTPA.

The tests mean nothing. I didn't study for any of them, crushed them and then got destroyed year 1 anyway. I learned right then and there that Theory is great to have in the back pocket, but Reality is where the work is done. Prepare as best you know how, but there is nothing you can do to avoid year 1 being a mess.

The Student teaching hours/experience... Are you connected to your co-operating teacher now?

I'm thankful that I have a desk setup here at home to work every day next to the wife, but being the tech-savvy guy at work has been a double edged sword.

Personally I'm crushing this distance learning model using combos of Screencastify, Castle Learning, Youtube, Kahoot, Brain-Pop and Quizlet to integrated into Google Classroom. I'm also starting to run some lessons on Twitch in addition to my average gameplay so if anyone has middle/high school kids who need help with Science during all this, get at me!

On the other hand, it's all hands on deck helping EVERYONE ELSE. The older teachers who can't learn 4 new programs in a weekend, the grandparents who can't login to see their grandchild's progress, leading my department with ZERO STATE GUIDANCE regarding science labs other than "tests in june as scheduled", the 127 students of mine who FORGET EVERY f***ING PASSWORD THEY EVER SET UP IN THEIR f***ING LIVES!!!!(That felt good)

Tomorrow is Friday though. No work for the kids, just sharing favorite movies, TV shows and indoor activities to connect as people. We got this. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The tests mean nothing. I didn't study for any of them, crushed them and then got destroyed year 1 anyway. I learned right then and there that Theory is great to have in the back pocket, but Reality is where the work is done. Prepare as best you know how, but there is nothing you can do to avoid year 1 being a mess.

The Student teaching hours/experience... Are you connected to your co-operating teacher now?

I'm thankful that I have a desk setup here at home to work every day next to the wife, but being the tech-savvy guy at work has been a double edged sword.

Personally I'm crushing this distance learning model using combos of Screencastify, Castle Learning, Youtube, Kahoot, Brain-Pop and Quizlet to integrated into Google Classroom. I'm also starting to run some lessons on Twitch in addition to my average gameplay so if anyone has middle/high school kids who need help with Science during all this, get at me!

On the other hand, it's all hands on deck helping EVERYONE ELSE. The older teachers who can't learn 4 new programs in a weekend, the grandparents who can't login to see their grandchild's progress, leading my department with ZERO STATE GUIDANCE regarding science labs other than "tests in june as scheduled", the 127 students of mine who FORGET EVERY f***ING PASSWORD THEY EVER SET UP IN THEIR f***ING LIVES!!!!(That felt good)

Tomorrow is Friday though. No work for the kids, just sharing favorite movies, TV shows and indoor activities to connect as people. We got this. Stay safe everyone!

I hope my post did not come across as me being disappointed about the tests being cancelled lol.

The district is not allowing us to help with student teaching online. Last semester I completed my general ed student teaching for elementary and this semester I was completing my special ed. The day that the schools began closing I was supposed to begin in a new classroom (they split us in classes for the semester), so I would have been creating plans for kids who I have never even met before anyway.

This is probably wild for older teachers who do not use electronics too much. I had a cooperating teacher who would only let me use the technology she knew how to use, I wonder how she is handling this all now. How have you liked Google Classroom? The concept and tools always sounded really interesting to me, but I have never seen it in action.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I hope my post did not come across as me being disappointed about the tests being cancelled lol.

The district is not allowing us to help with student teaching online. Last semester I completed my general ed student teaching for elementary and this semester I was completing my special ed. The day that the schools began closing I was supposed to begin in a new classroom (they split us in classes for the semester), so I would have been creating plans for kids who I have never even met before anyway.

This is probably wild for older teachers who do not use electronics too much. I had a cooperating teacher who would only let me use the technology she knew how to use, I wonder how she is handling this all now. How have you liked Google Classroom? The concept and tools always sounded really interesting to me, but I have never seen it in action.

Message me your Email, I'm High School Science, but I'll share you with some things so you can see.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway

We are using Microsoft Teams as our means of communication with our students at the school where I work. It works really well and you can actually do a fair bit of real teaching through the meeting function. The screenshare option is gold, as it allows you to share your screen with the students and you can use a Word document alomsot like a blackboard. Today was the last day before Easter holidays so we finished off with a kahoot with all the kids using their ipads and me sharing the screen from my house. OneNote is also great because it allows you to see the homework the students do without ever asking their permission, or calling them up :)

An older colleague of mine still comes into work every day despite the school being closed, as he is alone and with no family nearby. For ones like him this is really tough.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How are your districts handling students who don't have internet access at home or limited amount of PC's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad