OT: Depends Who You Ask Apocalypse - Off Topic Thread of Summer

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
We're under a "stay at home" order here in Charlotte. I've been working from home for the majority of the last 2 weeks, just a few hours in the office here and there when necessary. We're nowhere near what you guys are experiencing up in NY, and I'm pretty sure the goal of keeping us home is to keep it that way.

Hope you all and your families are well

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Random OT thought that popped in my head recently:

If you were any character in "The Great Escape", who would it be?

As much as I'd like to say the Steve McQueen character, I'm probably more of the James Garner guy.

[This is assuming anyone under 40 or 50 has even seen The Great Escape! :laugh:]

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Random OT thought that popped in my head recently:

If you were any character in "The Great Escape", who would it be?

As much as I'd like to say the Steve McQueen character, I'm probably more of the James Garner guy.

[This is assuming anyone under 40 or 50 has even seen The Great Escape! :laugh:]
I know who I'm not. Danny, the Tunnel King (Charles Bronson). Claustrophobe.

Still one of the great posters of all-time. Hilts (Steve McQueen) straddling that Triumph (dressed up as a German BMW) in that field with barbed wire all around and the Alps in the background.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKP and doublechili

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Lots of North Koreans walking around with shopping carts?
Sorry just trying to visualize a North Korean store .

Long Island stores are fine . No issues for me in any marketplace

What stores are you shopping in?
Forget toilet paper, pasta and chicken, for some reason the Stop and Shop by me had been completely ransacked of Maple Syrup! No maple syrup at all, something completely insignificant but totally random. I laughed my ass off in the isle when I saw it. Very strange sight to see no maple syrup.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I don't know how people that work from home all the time are not 500 lbs.

I've set an alarm every hour to do 20 push ups, but there is always food around and the cabin fever makes me constantly hungry.

Yeah, this is the first time I have ever worked from home before. Only been a week and a half and the cabin fever has been getting to us. I go outside every hour for a little while to get some fresh air or down to our gym (rack and spin bike) in the basement.

What stores are you shopping in?
Forget toilet paper, pasta and chicken, for some reason the Stop and Shop by me had been completely ransacked of Maple Syrup! No maple syrup at all, something completely insignificant but totally random. I laughed my ass off in the isle when I saw it. Very strange sight to see no maple syrup.

Our Stop and Shop and Target have been pretty good this week. I went to Target last week and there was absolutely no other bread left besides Martin's rolls and butter bread. Either it was just stocked or for some absurd reason nobody likes Martin's rolls or bread (which are fantastic).

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
We're under a "stay at home" order here in Charlotte.

I'm used to being at home since I work from home anyway, so I'm often home 2-3-4 days at a time without going out. I've been compelled to go out to the stores every day since this "stay at home" thing started. I thought at first it was about finding those rare things that are hard to find now, like paper towels. But, if I'm going to be honest with myself, I'm doing it because I think this whole thing is stupid and people are saying to stay at home and I think they can f*** off.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Weve made our own rink

Attachments

• 20200326_175836.jpg
    20200326_175836.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 12

ZMan17

LGI
Nov 20, 2010
Tel Aviv
I'm living in Tel Aviv, Israel for the year to attend grad school - today was supposed to be the first day of my spring semester, but classes were postponed until next month and will be held online for the foreseeable future.. I must say they've been quite proactive here as opposed to reactive in the US, but I think it's quite understandable for a nation that has ingrained in itself to have a wartime mentality. Today, new regulations came in to place that we can't go more than 100 meters from our houses/apartments...which sucks since I just finished a 14 day mandatory quarantine (mandated for me because I was traveling to certain affected countries), had one day to go about the promenade, and now it's likely I'm back in quarantine.

It seems likely that there will be a full lockdown here soon. It'll suck, but it'll honestly be for the best. I'm quite hopeful that the recovery here will happen quicker than it will in the US. Previous projections were for returning to normal by May/June, though the government won't commit to any specifics at this point.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was in Vegas the first week in March. I was a bit concerned, but at that point, no cases were reported in Nevada. Anyway, I was not happy to see around 100 Italian military staying at the same hotel as me mid-strip, while Italy was already a hotspot. I was talking with a hotel shop manager who had spoken with one of the Italian guys and she was told that China was working on germ warfare and wanted to use a moderately catastrophic virus to test global spread rates, and social, economic and political effects of pandemic.

Knowing that things were going to get bad, the U.S. military invited allies to send their people for training at various bases around the country on how to deal with it once it spiraled out of control.

I have no idea how true this is, but have thought about it a lot.
I hope you are well first and foremost. Nothing would surprise me about warfare, I have heard it was a simple case that China was working on a virus and it accidentally got out. We really have no idea? I do think too many people took this lightly. The images of people frolicking on Florida beaches when the pandemic hit, was just crazy. Now I read NY has half the USA's infections. I am afraid of the already growing numbers. This is big. Never lived through anything like it in my life.

Reactions: beach

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Things seem to be settling down here in Korea. They are taking some extra precautions and school still isn't slated to begin until the 6th. City hall officials came around to academies all across Korea and made us put some extra precautions in place. We have to track visitors, put up signs about hygiene, and take the temperature of all our teachers and record it once a day. All teachers and students are supposed to wear masks, but I can't. It irritates my beard too much and I can't breathe well with them as I've never been able to breathe through my nose much as longer as I can remember.

Less than 100 new cases a day on average so it's dwindling. I'm still not sure they want to start school as letting your guard down too quickly can result in a resurgence, but as far as I'm concerned if Korea keeps up their vigilance I think we'll be back to usual in another few weeks....although back to usual I still imagine involves being extra careful with the handwashing and large gatherings. As much as it's been a hindrance on some occasions (see Sewol Ferry Incident), Koreans collectively are followers so they've been pretty good at clamping down on spreading behavior.

Seems like ages ago when Korea was a "dangerous hotbed" for the coronavirus. As I said back then, it's just because we were testing so quickly here it caused our numbers to shoot up, but in comparison, it really didn't get that bad here.

Reactions: Finnislander

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I hope you are well first and foremost. Nothing would surprise me about warfare, I have heard it was a simple case that China was working on a virus and it accidentally got out. We really have no idea? I do think too many people took this lightly. The images of people frolicking on Florida beaches when the pandemic hit, was just crazy. Now I read NY has half the USA's infections. I am afraid of the already growing numbers. This is big. Never lived through anything like it in my life.
As the testing becomes more available the numbers are going to explode. As far as China goes I don’t believe any info that comes from that country. As someone whose family escaped a communist regime I’m very aware how these governments operate. It’s sad really sad but after 9-11 I never thought I would see something worse. This is worse unfortunately.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

I'm certainly not glad this has happened, but Americans (and others) will be much more appreciative of the basic things in life we took for granted. I guess spoiled is the word. Few things in life are important; family, friends, health, enough to eat and a roof over your head. All of a sudden we see those things aren't a given but gifts we could lose at any time. As for everything else - just not all that important.

And speaking of priorities, nurses, nurses aides, ambulance personnel, and many others are out there on the front line with sick patients coughing all over them - and not being paid a lot of money. Same goes for police and firemen. Meanwhile, pro athletes are often making a million dollars a game - and b itching about it.

We can learn a lot from this disaster. Hopefully we will.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Dusted off the PS3 and NHL '14.

I've been tearing the shit out of the NHL with our beloved Islanders. I created every, individual Isles' player that did not exist in 2013; even traded for Ebs, Pags, and Andy Greene. Edited Bailey, Nelson, Pelech authentically etc. and shipped JTraitor off to the Leafs. Re-created Sorokin via Anders Nilsson.

Amassed 110pts through the regular season, Beat the Sens in the first round, tough match (back when Spezza was actually good); moved easily through the Rags, 4-1 (when Marty St. Louis, Rick Nash, and Brad Richards were still in the league), trounced the Leafs in the ECF, 4-0 (Joffrey Lupul outplayed the franchise center). Met the Jets in the Finals, they took it to 7 games. f***ing Andrew Ladd, Andrej Pav, and Tobias Enstrom were quite annoying. Pulock led the playoffs in hits, Barzal won the Smythe.

Reactions: NYI365

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
How are my Islander buddies doing? I know NY has been hit especially hard, so hopefully you guys are doing okay.

I have been bored as hell. Kind of tough not getting to see my grandparents on my birthday Saturday but I suppose we can do a double celebration when the Isles win the Stanley Cup this summer and my birthday?

Also, just have to reach out to my fellow teacher @Riseonfire to let him know if schools close through May 1st apparently the state is going to just push all student teachers through the program and give us certifications even though we have not taken all tests nor gotten the proper student teaching hours yet. Too bad I already took the edTPA.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
How are my Islander buddies doing? I know NY has been hit especially hard, so hopefully you guys are doing okay.
I'm bored.

Still working so better than most. Worried about my business though.

Know people with it, so that's spooky but everyone seems ok now.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I have been bored as hell. Kind of tough not getting to see my grandparents on my birthday Saturday but I suppose we can do a double celebration when the Isles win the Stanley Cup this summer and my birthday?

Also, just have to reach out to my fellow teacher @Riseonfire to let him know if schools close through May 1st apparently the state is going to just push all student teachers through the program and give us certifications even though we have not taken all tests nor gotten the proper student teaching hours yet. Too bad I already took the edTPA.
Really? So you wouldn’t have to take the EAS or CST’s? That’d be huge for you guys. Maybe they can waive the masters requirement and give me my f***ing professional certificate? Lol
I’m moving to TN in the summer and I just found out the initial certification doesn’t transfer over so I gotta take like 3 Praxis tests on top of getting them all kinds of other stuff. Hard to do that when the US is essentially closed for business....

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
it's a big show. not as serious as they proclaim.
Do you know anyone who is a doctor, nurse or works at a hospital in the NYC tri-state area. That comment is incredibly disingenuous and ignorant. My wife is a doctor and I have several friends who are hospitalists and nurses. Go tell them it’s not “as serious as they proclaim”. They running criminally low on PPE and more and more residents, hospitalists, nurses and aids are getting infected daily.

Doctors, nurses and other hospital workers are quarantining themselves from their families...from their children, spouses, parents, siblings etc., many are going as far as renting apartments with other practitioners or staying in hotels to separate themselves from their families.

Take some time to talk to people who are on the front lines of this and get back to me.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'm bored.

Still working so better than most. Worried about my business though.

Know people with it, so that's spooky but everyone seems ok now.

We need to hear about people recovering, the vast majority will.

My wife and I may have it/had it. We're self quarantining. My body was vibrating for nine days, that feeling when you stop using a jackhammer but your body is still buzzing. I thought I was transitioning to bodyaches but it never happened. May have just been stress and anxiety. I hope I had it and its over with

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Do you know anyone who is a doctor, nurse or works at a hospital in the NYC tri-state area.

My father is a professor emeritus at the American Society of Microbiology. His specialty over the last 40 years has been bacterial and viral infectious diseases.

He thinks it's a big show. The data he sees behind the curtain doesn't match the response. The reason the people at the hospitals are overrun is because the response is overblown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad