Confirmed with Link: demelo 4 years 12 Million

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Screen-Shot-2020-10-07-at-1-24-20-PM.png

Yes. DeMelo *is* worth more than Myers.

He may be in your statistical world, but in the real hard cash marketplace, he is just not. Both were UFAS and Myers signed for $ 6 mil, and Demelo --only $ 3mil.

If Chevy would have known Buff was not returning, I'd bet my shirt he would have went $ 4.5 to 5 mil on Myers. I have no doubt about this.

Reactions: WiscoJet

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
It is true, us Packer fans don't know how good we have it but it took luck for player perception to change Green Bay.

Reggie White decided to a join a Packers franchise coming off of a 9-7 season. Which had a 4-12 and 6-10 precede that season. He somehow decided to join the Packers before Brett Favre was Brett Favre. Reggie White said god told him to sign in Green Bay and the rest is history. Sometimes sports are just pure good luck or bad luck, like Trouba's girlfriend having to be in the States.

Sorry for the Packers history lesson but the no one wants to play in Winnipeg is so overplayed, if it became a trend that our drafted talent wanted to be traded then ya I would say we have a problem. Free agency should be used as a tool to supplant your core. So what we can't sign a premier free agent, join the club of 20 other NHL Franchises.

Very well said, and I'm not just saying that because it 100% fits with my narrative ;)

Reactions: WiscoJet

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

He may be in your statistical world, but in the real hard cash marketplace, he is just not. Both were UFAS and Myers signed for $ 6 mil, and Demelo --only $ 3mil.

If Chevy would have known Buff was not returning, I'd bet my shirt he would have went $ 4.5 to 5 mil on Myers. I have no doubt about this.
you should go ask canucks fans who they'd rather have

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

The real hard cash marketplace being an incredibly poor manner measure of talent is exactly why the statistical world exists as it currently does and why I have the career that I do.

I mean PDO literately exists because it was noticed that if you just look at on ice sh% and sv% you can predict a lot of marketplaces terrible decisions... and that's not even a good judge at skill stat.

EDIT: FYI, for context, I got my start in hockey as a professional working for a player agency. I now run an analytics company that works with teams and players. Trying to predict how much a person gets paid and measuring how good they are is two VERY different things.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didn't think he would re-sign here, and especially not at that AAV. I've been wrong before. Hope it works out here. I have my reservations about the player, in spite of his positive metrics, but he at least gives the Jets a solid PK1 RD to start next year, and someone reliable to pair with Josh, for now.

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB

I'm not sure you understand the concept of value. Paying a lot for something doesn't make it better.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

That’s like saying Tesla is the best car maker in the world because of their stock price shooting their value higher then any car company. Yet they have some of the worst customer reviews. I’ll take the Toyota over the Tesla any day.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Myers had his moments but he was not a physical defenseman, size yes, physical, no way. He also went brain dead on the ice more than a few times, Myers 6 million a year, DeMelo half that and a better defensive defenseman, i'll take that all day everyday.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Myers signed for around the $ 6 mil mark in Vancouver, and I would bet there would have been many other GM's to give him $ 5 mil or more, to sign with their club.
It's unrealistic to say that you think Myers is only worth $ 3 mil, because a player's value is determined by "market value" --meaning what he can get in the open marketplace. It's clear that Myers can command just about "double" what Demelo can. Does that mean he's twice as good as Demelo ?? well that's a whole different conversation, and many on here, don't think Myers is worth that kind of money, but the fact of the matter is he can command that kind of money. That is his true value at this time -- what someone is willing to pay him.
No, what they pay him is his cost.
There are lots of better definitions of value, one of the simplest being: Value=Benefit/Cost
In that sense, by most hockey metrics, Demelo is considerably more valuable to the Jets than Myers is to the Canucks.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Great!

This is how you make your team better and reload.
Not trade your core pieces to fill hole.
You fix smaller holes but create the bigger hole. As you are trading a piece that is harder to fill or replace.

Keep it going Jets!!!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well I guess you have some fancy metric stats to backup your post Garret, but I'd take Myers all day long over DeMelo. The other thing you have to realize is that a player's ability, and value is "often" ( not always) calibrated by how much money he can command in the open marketplace. Myers commands $ 6 mil per year, and Demelo only $ 3 mil per year. There is a reason for this -- don't you think ??

Myers will likely put up around 40 points a year, and DeMelo won't come close to that. Pionk will put up around 40- 45 points as well.

DeMelo is a good 3rd pairing defenseman -- that's about it, a stay at home reliable defensive type of D-man, which is OK - that's about it.

Over the past 7 seasons Myers has averaged 24.2 points per season. Once you factor in his durability issues he’s really not that productive relative to his pay.

Reactions: blues10

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I might be alone here but I hope he doesn’t play with Morrissey. I’m hoping he’s on the bottom pairing and we get a better player to play on the top pairing
That is highly unlikely as teams don't move top pairing D. I doubt we could even lure one away for Laine and a 1st.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
you should go ask canucks fans who they'd rather have

If they were both paid $3 mil equally, I think they'd prefer Myers. On the other hand having Myers at double the cost ($6mil) -- they just may likely prefer Demelo. At "equal pay" I'd choose either Myers or Chiarot over Demelo. We need scoring from our back end IMO.

Could be I have underestimated Demelo ? and will have to watch him more closely, especially on his efficiency in the defensive zone. Posters here, seem very impressed by his play--- "good to see."

I can see a lot of support here for this signing of Demelo, that tell me a lot of informed posters on here, think he's really solid. Maybe I've sold him a bit short here. :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: DashingDane

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The real hard cash marketplace being an incredibly poor manner measure of talent is exactly why the statistical world exists as it currently does and why I have the career that I do.

I mean PDO literately exists because it was noticed that if you just look at on ice sh% and sv% you can predict a lot of marketplaces terrible decisions... and that's not even a good judge at skill stat.

EDIT: FYI, for context, I got my start in hockey as a professional working for a player agency. I now run an analytics company that works with teams and players. Trying to predict how much a person gets paid and measuring how good they are is two VERY different things.

Your very good at what you do Garret, but you have to admit, there's a reason why Connor McDavid is the highest paid player in the NHL - or one of them) -- so what a player get's paid, is generally commensurate with his talent level - "in most cases."

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
That’s like saying Tesla is the best car maker in the world because of their stock price shooting their value higher then any car company. Yet they have some of the worst customer reviews. I’ll take the Toyota over the Tesla any day.

Well, you can't really compare cars to hockey players, but I get your point, and I think Tesla stock is way overvalued for what financial results it's produced. It does not make sense , and is largely supported by the Millenial crowd that is supporting those high stock prices of Tesla, and they believe it's the car and energy company of the future.

I'll join you on this one right now, and take a Toyota, or some other other well made car ( bmw etc) that runs on gas, until I'm convinced that Electric Cars have worked out their bugs, and are the "cars of the future." Just -- to many unknowns about them right now IMO.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Your very good at what you do Garret, but you have to admit, there's a reason why Connor McDavid is the highest paid player in the NHL - or one of them) -- so what a player get's paid, is generally commensurate with his talent level - "in most cases."
Players get paid for points especially goals. Even McDavid is seen as weaker defensively. When it comes to our back end I’d rather a D who is stronger in his own end, which doesn’t get paid as much, then stronger in their end, points lots of money. Point because of all his pp points, goals was talked about earning more or equal to Morissey. Are they equal or near even? Not a chance.
Krug might make as much as Mo because he’s a pp qb not a shut down player like Vlasic. I’ll take the shut down guy.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I didn't think he would re-sign here, and especially not at that AAV. I've been wrong before. Hope it works out here. I have my reservations about the player, in spite of his positive metrics, but he at least gives the Jets a solid PK1 RD to start next year, and someone reliable to pair with Josh, for now.

It’s about opportunities. He’s going to play on the top pairing. Players value quality ice time, a lot of the times it sways them to singing over money and term

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
It’s about opportunities. He’s going to play on the top pairing. Players value quality ice time, a lot of the times it sways them to singing over money and term
Do you think Demelo is a bass or baritone.
More to your point I agree that top pairing minutes can be viewed as more important than contract terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad