Defensemen drafted in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Bileur said:
He was playing with the Vancouver Giants last season and by all accounts was pretty impressive right off the bat. IMO what he's shown so far is more a product of his own talent and development. I cant wait till the end of the season after the sens have really gotten to get their hands on him he'll be great. From what i've seen he's definetely got #1 or #2 potential.

Yeah exactly. The Sens had nothing to do with his development. He steped in on the Giant a made a big splash as a rookie-averaging almost a point a game.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Legionnaire said:
Yeah exactly. The Sens had nothing to do with his development. He steped in on the Giant a made a big splash as a rookie-averaging almost a point a game.

I know the Sharks goaltending coach usually visits each goalie in the system to evauluate and train him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Senators do the same thing with their prospects. That's what I was suggesting, but I could be wrong.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
Thelen...don't know too much about him but why is everyone sorta down on him? Any specific reasons?

His numbers were noticably down from his draft year and not because his overall game was improving either. I was a big fan of his coming up on the 04 draft and thought that he might be a good pick to jump right into the NHL.

I read somewhere that there were rumors that this was being considered but only on message boards.

Anyways I'm hoping that he basically took the summer of last year after he got drafted and has his head straight this year.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
superroyain10 said:
A definite steal in the fifth round. Gms were a fool to pass on this guy in the first few rounds.

It's picks like him, Earl, and other late rounders with tremendous upside who give the Leafs drafting credibility.

Vorobiev should have gone late 2nd early 3rd and likely would if there was a chance to do it all over again. He's played well since he was drafted.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
Campoli is a very mature defenseman who's just ahead of his class...but he's never shown "flashes of brilliance" that would indicate high-end potential. I guess it would be like if you stuck a young fourth line NHLer in the AHL, he'd probably get a lot of points. It doesn't mean he has lots of potential, just that he's matured and ahead of the competition. If that makes any sense. :)
Well, he was still finished last year in the top five of defensemen scoring, and just 4points shy of the lead defenseman scorer, Nik Kronwall. I'd call that a flash of brilliance. Even though I agree that he doesn't have top end, number 1 D potential, I think it's more than just being ahead of the curve, considering the players that were in the AHL last year, many of whom were older than him by a fair margin -- Kronwall for example being about three and a half years older and pretty much exactly the same size. Heck, even another supposed "very mature player" in Zach Parise only outscored him by 9 points as a forward. Also keep in mind that Campoli was more or less carrying a Bridgeport team whose forwards were struggling to score goals (second leading scorer in both points and goals on the entire team, 3rd place had a full 14 points less than him).

I would not be so foolish as to stretch this to imply that he has a higher potential than older players he outscored, such as Bouwmeester or Pitkanen. But I do think he's proven more than that he is mature for his age. I do not think it's a stretch to think he has the potential to be a top pairing guy, and will most likely be a solid top 4. Even if he doesn't improve from where he's at other than becoming more consistent, he'll at least be a very good bottom pairing D, which remains a steal for a 7th rounder.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Barker's been playing 1st pair with Aucoin so far and has 2g & 1a in 2 games (almost as good as Latendresse!!! Sorry, Hab fans). Doesn't look at all out of place. That being said, it wouldn't be a Huge surprise if he got the 10 game & back to the Jr's deal.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangerfan said:
when was the last time you`ve seen him play exacty? :sarcasm:
I've heard Boris has looked good in the preseason. Any truth to this?

Don't mind dunwoody_joe too much. Once he gets something stuck in his craw, he can't let it go. (Ssshhhhh ... ask him about Ivan Majesky!)

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
I've heard Boris has looked good in the preseason. Any truth to this?

Don't mind dunwoody_joe too much. Once he gets something stuck in his craw, he can't let it go. (Ssshhhhh ... ask him about Ivan Majesky!)

Valabik has looked pretty poor (to me). At this rate, his upside is #4 defenseman--AHL.
But, hey, I said I'd wait another year before any final proclamation. :D

Now, as for Majesky....I'll say just one thing again, O'Sullivan! ;)

Rangerfan*

dunwoody_joe said:
Valabik has looked pretty poor (to me). At this rate, his upside is #4 defenseman--AHL.
But, hey, I said I'd wait another year before any final proclamation. :D

Now, as for Majesky....I'll say just one thing again, O'Sullivan! ;)

never answered my question-where was the last time you`ve seen him play?

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Rangerfan said:
never answered my question-where was the last time you`ve seen him play?

I saw him in Traverse City, the day he tore his quad. That would be the last time.

Before that, I have tapes of both last year's WJC and the Rangers' playoff series with London.

Before that? 1/16 against London at the Aud in Kitchener. Then before that, at prospect camp in Atlanta.

Getting the picture? I have seen him play enough to project his upside. :sarcasm:

Now for you...Can you defend Valabik's progress to date with facts?
Not just the "big defensemen take longer to develop."

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Meszaros thus far has shown to be a steal to not go top-10 in 2004 draft. I pick him to be the best one drafted of the five that year at this point.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
theres nothing wrong with thelen. if u have seen him play this preseasonhe has looked pretty good. He should have a good year at prince Albert and make the wild team next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad