Defensemen drafted in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
TheCoach said:
Out of the guys drafted in 2004, which will have the best careers?

Cam Barker
Ladislav Smid
Boris Valabik
A.J Thelen
Andrej Meszaros

I've always liked Barker's style, but haven't followed him much recently.

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Cam Barker
Andrej Meszaros
A.J Thelen
Ladislav Smid
Boris Valabik

I think Barker and Mezeros are almost there now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Chris Campoli, NYI

Acquired:
2004 NHL Draft, 7th round (227th overall)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Smid - I love this guy and think he is very under-rated i think he will be a great #2 guy in the NHL, Barker doesnt impress me very much considering where he was drafted none really look to me to have #1 ability.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
Smid, Valabik, and Mez (looks like he'll get some chances in Ottawa).

I'm not too sure on Barker.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
dunwoody_joe said:
I'm a Thrasher fan but not at all impressed with Valabik. I'll wait one more year before declaring him a bust. :cry:

Calm your horses down, how long did it take Chara to become a good player? I believe his first decent season was when he was 26 years old.

Big defenders like that need slower time to develop, but once they do they're a huge reward.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Actually Chara was in the NHL at the age of 20. While he wasn't putting up the points he is now, he was still good enough to log some minutes in the NHL. Yeah, the Isles sucked then, but I don't see Valbik has made the strides that Chara had made from draft year.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
Actually Chara was in the NHL at the age of 20. While he wasn't putting up the points he is now, he was still good enough to log some minutes in the NHL. Yeah, the Isles sucked then, but I don't see Valbik has made the strides that Chara had made from draft year.

It's been one year since he's been drafted, give it time and we'll see in a few years from now.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Michael Vernace drafted in the seventh round could with development turn into a nice Gonchar/Ozolnish type defenseman. However, I haven't seen him in a year. I think Meszaros or Smid could be the best defensemen of the 04 draft.

I've seen Barker and I haven't been impressed with him. I guess he could have untapped potential, but he'll need 2-3 years in the AHL to max it out IMO. Meszaros looks much more mature at this point. I have never seen Smid, but going by what I've read, he also looks like he'll be a very good one.

Valabik definitely needs time to develop, and that's not uncommon with players of his size. Just look at Chara, a big defenseman who needed time to develop. That being said, I don't think Valabik will be quite in Chara's league.

Last edited:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Meszaros looks like he could be Ottawa's #1 d-man several years down the road. He's been playing as if he's been in the NHL for a couple years already...always calm and eager to get the puck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Chris Campoli is an absolute steal in the 7th round.

That kid was amazing the other night and I've heard he's had some great camp.

I see Mezaros being the best of the bunch and Thelen being the worst.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I honestly think Ladislav Smid could be the best defenseman out of that draft. He has the best two-way game of any of the 5 and could excell as either a shutdown defenseman or an offensive defenseman.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Thelen has played good for the Wild in the pre season. He got like a goal and 2 assists in his couple games.

Clayton Stoner 3rd round WIlD. He had a great year in the WHL getting 46 points in like 60 games this year. finished 9th of all defensmen in points and had more points then shawn Belle for the team lead in points for defender. This year well see how he does in the AHL.

Rangerfan*

dunwoody_joe said:
I'm a Thrasher fan but not at all impressed with Valabik. I'll wait one more year before declaring him a bust. :cry:

when was the last time you`ve seen him play exacty? :sarcasm:

KH1

It seems like all of my hunches about that draft are turning out true. Campoli and Smid look like gold, Valabik...not so much.

That's in stark contrast to my '03 predictions/wild hunches including that Roman Hamrlik would undoubtedly be traded. If there's any kind of pattern it means that Ryan O'Marra better watch out.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jon Prescription said:
Chris Campoli is an absolute steal in the 7th round.

That kid was amazing the other night and I've heard he's had some great camp.

I see Mezaros being the best of the bunch and Thelen being the worst.

Meszaros IMO is a product of great Sens development...I'm sure the coaching staff was working with him during the lockout.

I don't think he is a sure-fire number one, but he'll at least be a solid top four defenseman, which can be said of very few prospects. I think its arguable that Barker may have more potential than Meszaros though.

Campoli is a very mature defenseman who's just ahead of his class...but he's never shown "flashes of brilliance" that would indicate high-end potential. I guess it would be like if you stuck a young fourth line NHLer in the AHL, he'd probably get a lot of points. It doesn't mean he has lots of potential, just that he's matured and ahead of the competition. If that makes any sense. :)

Thelen...don't know too much about him but why is everyone sorta down on him? Any specific reasons?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
MaDdY said:
Dmitri Vorobiev.

Drafted by Leafs. He was very impressive in WJrs. He has top 4 potential. :)

A definite steal in the fifth round. Gms were a fool to pass on this guy in the first few rounds.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
superroyain10 said:
Meszaros IMO is a product of great Sens development...I'm sure the coaching staff was working with him during the lockout.
I don't think he is a sure-fire number one, but he'll at least be a solid top four defenseman, which can be said of very few prospects. I think its arguable that Barker may have more potential than Meszaros though.

He was playing with the Vancouver Giants last season and by all accounts was pretty impressive right off the bat. IMO what he's shown so far is more a product of his own talent and development. I cant wait till the end of the season after the sens have really gotten to get their hands on him he'll be great. From what i've seen he's definetely got #1 or #2 potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad