Value of: Defense to Toronto

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I would like to but I can't... 6 years is a long time at 6M with the style that he plays. It'd be a risk for Toronto, however if the condition was needed I would probably do it. Think it'd be smart for Colorado to get EJ out of there before he loses anymore value and gets older. Lets them continue the tank for Dahlin.

I mean, he plays like a 5M-6M player, and the contract expires at the age of 35, so I don't think there will be much decline from him. I just don't think it makes sense for Colorado to tank, given that they have a first-round pick from Ottawa, and they have Barrie and Kerfoot.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I want what she's having.
He's not wrong though. Outside of McAvoy, Boston has nothing that is anywhere near becoming the defenseman they desperately need - Chara is nearing the end of his career, and McAvoy is absolutely essential for the future without their long-time 1D. If they ship out McAvoy, they have no one to take over Chara's spot, hence why it is only right to ask for the moon and a couple of stars. This, quite simply, boils down to Boston liking their young stud as much as you guys like Matthews. That is the case with a lot of players you guys make proposals for.

In short: he didn't claim that McAvoy = Matthews. However, he stated that factoring in Boston's needs, McAvoy >> anything else that the Leafs can offer. If Toronto would call Sweeney, asking for Matthews would be a statement roughly equal to "are you willing to overpay drastically, or is there no deal to be made?"

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's not wrong though. Outside of McAvoy, Boston has nothing that is anywhere near becoming the defenseman they desperately need - Chara is nearing the end of his career, and McAvoy is absolutely essential for the future without their long-time 1D. If they ship out McAvoy, they have no one to take over Chara's spot, hence why it is only right to ask for the moon and a couple of stars. This, quite simply, boils down to Boston liking their young stud as much as you guys like Matthews. That is the case with a lot of players you guys make proposals for.

In short: he didn't claim that McAvoy = Matthews. However, he stated that factoring in Boston's needs, McAvoy >> anything else that the Leafs can offer. If Toronto would call Sweeney, asking for Matthews would be a statement roughly equal to "are you willing to overpay drastically, or is there no deal to be made?"
Well said. I didnt take context into it.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Bracco + Fehr + 2nd for Erik Johnson

I know EJ is kind of overrated but I think thats a VERY good offer for him. I was going to make the pick a 1st based on the condition that we make it to the 2nd round but dropped that, considering he has 6 more years left at a 6M caphit.

edit: added Eric Fehr as a cap dump, he's a good fourth liner IMO, easily would be used by the Avs. 1 year at 2M.

The Avs have no interest in trading Erik Johnson. Especially not for a horrific return like that..

If the Avs are completely out of it at the deadline and he goes down the Duchene route (which would be a bit ironic after the comments he made yesterday) and asks Sakic if he could find a trade for him, Toronto would obviously be at the top of the list.

He is exactly what you guys need.

But there is just no way you would get him for a crap return like this.
The Avs don't want to dump him and his contract. We won't run into captroubles anytime soon given that none of our young top prospects is due for a huge payday in the next 2-3 years aside from maybe Rantanen.

EJ will turn 30 soon but he is still a #1 D in this league. Maybe not a great one but him getting injured was one of the major reasons the Avs season spiralled out of control the way it did last year.

Avs have no interest in pieces like Bracco or Fehr (or even Kapanen). We are all of a sudden very deep when it comes to forward depth.
We are also deep at RHD but with EJ gone, Liljegren still could make sense.

You might be able to keep Liljegren out of it by overpaying with slightly lesser assets like Ottawa just did but yeah. Ultimately you won't like the price.

Avs won't trade their best defensive player who is great for us when it comes to helping our young prospects along (and sheltering them) unless we would get a really great return for him.
Not going to happen IMO.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Thank you for this! Saved me time & effort.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No chronic injuries, concussion issues, or surgeries. But yeah, he's headed to permanent LTIR... :laugh:

You may want to actually look into his injuries/illnesses that forced him out of the lineup before making such an idiotic claim.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No chronic injuries, concussion issues, or surgeries. But yeah, he's headed to permanent LTIR... :laugh:

You may want to actually look into his injuries/illnesses that forced him out of the lineup before making such an idiotic claim.
How long will Tanev be out of the line-up this time, and what kind of injury does he have now?

Does he get injured much?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
How long will Tanev be out of the line-up this time, and what kind of injury does he have now?
2-3 weeks. Still no concussion problems, surgeries, or chronic injuries. I never denied he was injury prone, but it's always been a random assortment of injuries/illnesses and so far none of them have had a negative long-term effect. There's still zero signs that point to him being a permanent LTIR guy in a few years.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think that realistically for this season and next, a shot-suppressing type who'd cost similar to Ron Hainsey is ideal for them. The true top pairing dman I still think they have to either draft or develop if it's Liljegren.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
As a Toronto fan i would like a young prospect D MAN . I dont really want a established high number 1-2 D. I truly feel rielly is a number 2 and will be a number 1 one day hes all ready making less silly mistakes and his game has taken huge leaps this year. We all ready got LiL G which his ceiling is a top 2 RHS like we are on pace for some greatness IMO.

There is a few D i would really like
The D im most interested in which wont be traded is Chabot If i could get him i'd be extremely happy i'd give anything out of the top 3 for him

Brandon Corlo NO way he will be traded even tho hes a little over rated by burins fans right now i think he will be a really great D one day but he aint on an elite level ( YET )

Brandon mountor i tried to make some proposals last year but that ship has sailed IMO people realized how good he is lol.

& Ramus Ristolainen I would love to have him in blue and white.

Obviously there is some other D i wouldn't mind having like doughty & OEL but those kind of players i wouldn't trade for because they would cost to much if i could sign them as UFA's you bet your sweet booty i would

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
2-3 weeks. Still no concussion problems, surgeries, or chronic injuries. I never denied he was injury prone, but it's always been a random assortment of injuries/illnesses and so far none of them have had a negative long-term effect. There's still zero signs that point to him being a permanent LTIR guy in a few years.
Why is he so injury prone? Is he just plain unlucky?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of it is bad luck, but some guys are just more prone to injuries from blocked shots/hits/whatever.

Like in 2014, he missed 7 games with a broken thumb, then a few weeks after he returned he broke another finger and missed 11 more games. And last year he missed 2 games due to mumps, and then missed a few more games due to food poisoning.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I think a factor is his playing weight. He's 6'2 195ish which is the same as I am and I do not look like a pro athlete except maybe a golfer. I know my body could not withstand NHL punishment. I think a little weight would insulate him.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of it is bad luck, but some guys are just more prone to injuries from blocked shots/hits/whatever.

Like in 2014, he missed 7 games with a broken thumb, then a few weeks after he returned he broke another finger and missed 11 more games. And last year he missed 2 games due to mumps, and then missed a few more games due to food poisoning.

if he's back in 2-3 weeks , that's not a long injury for him . Don't expect him to play more than 70 games , prob 50 is what he can handle ... sad , good player when healthy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad