Line Combos: Defense Pairings

• Thread starter Boom Boom Geoffrion*
  • Start date
Dec 13, 2010
do not want Staal or McDonagh switching sides.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Eminger

Each pairing gives you balance. McD is a two-way guy and Girardi is sound in his own end. Staal is maybe the best shut down D-man in the game when he's healthy and Stralman is a puck mover. DZ moves the puck, Eminger is a stay-at-home guy. A 3rd pairing of Del Zotto-Gilroy scares the HELL out of me. I wish there wasn't such a log jam on the wings, I'd really like to see Gilroy on the 4th line in place of Asham...

adam94

BU Terriers
Nov 16, 2011
Long Island
McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Eminger

Barring stellar play from Eminger, I think we'll see Gilroy make some appearances on the third line whether we like it or not, though I sincerely hope Bickel gets the call before him.

TUQ

Mar 24, 2004
My 2 cents: I'm looking forward to watching Staal play with Stralman this season. I strongly believe Stralman will actualy settle down and grow as a player with us this season. I also believe that sometime this season the Staal-Stralman pair will become our first pair on defence. Ok now shoot me :)

Apr 10, 2012
My 2 cents: I'm looking forward to watching Staal play with Stralman this season. I strongly believe Stralman will actualy settle down and grow as a player with us this season. I also believe that sometime this season the Staal-Stralman pair will become our first pair on defence. Ok now shoot me :)

i think they'll be good, but not that good haha. stralsy doesn't have the same hockey iq as girardi imo and staal can't compete with mcdonagh if he stays on the right track.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't believe we're going into this season competing for a Cup with Matt Gilroy in the lineup. How does this happen?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I actually think it is a very good, very smart thing that we have 3 different options for the 6th D, all of whom have experience with this system and this coach. It would be a good idea in any season, but especially in this shortened version with virtually no training camp to speak of.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Can someone explain to me why Stralman is treated like a scrub? Read the main boards and our problems are not #6 D-man, but bottom pairing. Even McKenzie lumps him into the Bickel, Eminger category. He was actually really good during the playoffs. Better than MDZ in the Devils series for example.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The reason why Strålman gets no respect around the league is that he has not been consistant enough in his career. Until he can string several solid seasons together, there will always be questions.

KreiMeARiver*

I want Gilroy and Bickel nowhere near the top 6. They are both GARBAGE defensively.

I can echo the sentiments a few posts above me...

how the hell are these clowns on the team, and we're considered Cup favorites? Not with those 3 jokes...

You're telling me McIlrath isn't ready to at least compete for a spot?? He's better than Bickel and Gilroy right now, defensively.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I want Gilroy and Bickel nowhere near the top 6. They are both GARBAGE defensively.

I can echo the sentiments a few posts above me...

how the hell are these clowns on the team, and we're considered Cup favorites? Not with those 3 jokes...

You're telling me McIlrath isn't ready to at least compete for a spot?? He's better than Bickel and Gilroy right now, defensively.

Eminger should be the number six defenseman. He was playing very well last year prior to his injury. McIlrath is nowhere near ready. He just his pro career a week or two ago and is very raw. I wouldn't be surprised if he needed two seasons in Hartford.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
because the best D pairing the year before was staal and giradi

So? Staal-Girardi wasn't any better than McDonagh-Girardi currently is. Staal works fine with Stralman. There's no reason to mess with a good thing there.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
So we've established that Girardi can play with either McD or Staal and be a great pairing?

Anyways, I'd like:

McD-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
DZ-Eminger

Was hoping for a better #6 than Eminger though.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
gilroy is a nightmare defensively and shoots the puck like a female. awful.

eminger gets a lot of flack here but he skates pretty well and is a better defenseman than bickel.

stralman is a no brainer. he played top minutes last season and looked the part.

girardi mcd

staal stral

mdz eminger

you go to war with this

and yes...... i have returned :nod:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So? Staal-Girardi wasn't any better than McDonagh-Girardi currently is. Staal works fine with Stralman. There's no reason to mess with a good thing there.

Staal might work fine with Stralman. McDonagh might work better. Given that we know that McD-Girardi isn't better than Staal-Girardi, why not determine this by who works better with Stralman?

We don't really know.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Staal might work fine with Stralman. McDonagh might work better. Given that we know that McD-Girardi isn't better than Staal-Girardi, why not determine this by who works better with Stralman?

We don't really know.

I'm not sure McD-Girardi isn't better than Staal-Girardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad