Line Combos: Defense Pairings

• Thread starter Boom Boom Geoffrion*
  • Start date

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

As wonderful a job as Girardi's done on the right-side over the last few years, I'd like to see Torts flirt around with the idea of moving McDonagh there and have Marc as his partner. I think it's time to allow our best 2 dmen to opportunity to play together.

Staal-McDonagh
MDZ-Girardi
Bickel/Stralman/Eminger

Give McDonagh the green-light and have him try and expand his offensive game. He's skilled enough to play both sides, imo, although I honestly don't ever recall him playing there throughout his career. I think Marc and Ryan will bring out the best in eachother.

Allowing MDZ to play on the left side with a stay-at-home dmen like Danny G would allow to open up his offensive game as well. I like the physicality this second pair would possess. I don't like MDZ on the third pair, and I don't like his play on the right side.

Third pair is a work in progress. Had Sauer been healthy, I think things would be a little more black/white. Stralman was one of our most underrated dmen last season, but I don't think he's a bona fide top-4. Slot him down to the third pair. Give him more PP time.

Do you guys feel Staal-McDonagh and MDZ-Girardi as our top-4 would suffice, or be an improvement over what other alternatives we have?

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
As wonderful a job as Girardi's done on the right-side over the last few years, I'd like to see Torts flirt around with the idea of moving McDonagh there and have Marc as his partner. I think it's time to allow our best 2 dmen to opportunity to play together.

Staal-McDonagh
MDZ-Girardi
Bickel/Stralman/Eminger

Give McDonagh the green-light and have him try and expand his offensive game. He's skilled enough to play both sides, imo, although I honestly don't ever recall him playing there throughout his career. I think Marc and Ryan will bring out the best in eachother.

Allowing MDZ to play on the left side with a stay-at-home dmen like Danny G would allow to open up his offensive game as well. I like the physicality this second pair would possess. I don't like MDZ on the third pair, and I don't like his play on the right side.

Third pair is a work in progress. Had Sauer been healthy, I think things would be a little more black/white. Stralman was one of our most underrated dmen last season, but I don't think he's a bona fide top-4. Slot him down to the third pair. Give him more PP time.

Do you guys feel Staal-McDonagh and MDZ-Girardi as our top-4 would suffice, or be an improvement over what other alternatives we have?

I'm hesitant to break up McD - Girardi but you do offer some good points here.

How about putting MDZ and Staal together on the 2nd pair, and have Staal play the right side. That way he can play shutdown D on the right, and DZ can open up his offensive game from his natural position on the left. And we don't have to break up McD-Girardi.

This leaves some problems for the 3rd pairing though (who plays the left?)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
McDoangh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Eminger/Bickel

McDonagh-Girardi was one of the leagues best tandems last year. I would not break them up. Having Staal paired with Stralman allows Anton to bring more offense from the back-end. Hope they can figure out a way to bring in a legit #6 RD so they can role 3 pairings consistently.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
good points but if it aint broke......... this team was first in the East so just go back to what worked
McD, Girardi
Staal, Stralman
DZ, Bickel
Gilroy, Eminger

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eminger is leaps and bounds superior to Bickel, but he has been known to be a slow starter, or at the very least he as last year in camp. So we'll see.

Going to wait on official signing of Gilly before penciling him in, although he s a good kid, and i'd be happy to have him back as a utility player. Still think he'd be better as a forward.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I'm hesitant to break up McD - Girardi but you do offer some good points here.

If for some reason it doesn't work you can always change it.

good points but if it aint broke......... this team was first in the East so just go back to what worked
McD, Girardi
Staal, Stralman
DZ, Bickel
Gilroy, Eminger

Just because something worked last season doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Eminger is leaps and bounds superior to Bickel, but he has been known to be a slow starter, or at the very least he as last year in camp. So we'll see.

Going to wait on official signing of Gilly before penciling him in, although he s a good kid, and i'd be happy to have him back as a utility player. Still think he'd be better as a forward.

I've defended Gilroy long enough. Kid never put on weight, never improved his strength, and never expanded his defensive game like I thought he would. I've given up on him, personally.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

He can replace Bickel as the spare F/D.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Leave it as is. Late in game. move MDZ and Staal together. Acquire RD to replace eminger/bickel at deadline. McIlrath takes over 6 spot next season hopefully.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
with a normal camp, i would have said move staal to the right so he can play with MDZ. but there is no time to waste and let him adjust. keep things as they are...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would rather have Bickel over Gilroy any day of the week. Bickel keeps the game simple and will go through a wall for his teammates. Gilroy is soft. Saying that, if the Rangers can't add another defenseman they need to sign Gilroy. There will be injuries. Besides McIlrath, they have no one in the AHL who can be called up and play even 8 minutes a night.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah that's why I'd like to keep both Gilroy and Bickel. Gilroy has always sucked, but I'd rather have him playing a handful of mediocre minutes in a pinch than overextending our already taxed defense.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Leave it as is. Late in game. move MDZ and Staal together. Acquire RD to replace eminger/bickel at deadline. McIlrath takes over 6 spot next season hopefully.

MDZ looked awful on the right side. McDonagh has good hands. Good head. Good wheels. Abrasive, choppy passes are dealt with ease. Has terrific leg-work and would make that transition very easily imo.

Much rather have Bickel as the spare D. If they want to experiment with Gilroy up front, fine, but he's a nightmare on defense.

Something tells me he won't have that edge that Torts likes regardless of where he plays. I think this board is too rough on Bickel. I'd take him over Gilroy as well, and I strongly used to believe Gilroy was a future top-4 dmen. Bickel's only going to get better with more games under his belt. He turned 26 a few months ago and finally got some experience with the big league.

I would rather have Bickel over Gilroy any day of the week. Bickel keeps the game simple and will go through a wall for his teammates. Gilroy is soft. Saying that, if the Rangers can't add another defenseman they need to sign Gilroy. There will be injuries. Besides McIlrath, they have no one in the AHL who can be called up and play even 8 minutes a night.

I don't mind him as a #7-8. That's all he's proven to be thus far in his career. Having the option to slide him into a line-up he's familiar with, along with a coaching staff he's played for should help him. Bickel's the better option though. Easily.

with a normal camp, i would have said move staal to the right so he can play with MDZ. but there is no time to waste and let him adjust. keep things as they are...

I thought of Staal making that move instead of McDonagh or MDZ. I think McD would make that transition the easiest though.

I just think Staal-McDonagh would be a ****ing nightmare to play against. Staal's smarter, faster, and just a better player than Girardi. I think MDZ and Danny would be a fantastic 2nd pair as well, especially together.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I thought of Staal making that move instead of McDonagh or MDZ. I think McD would make that transition the easiest though.

I just think Staal-McDonagh would be a ****ing nightmare to play against. Staal's smarter, faster, and just a better player than Girardi. I think MDZ and Danny would be a fantastic 2nd pair as well, especially together.

i think any combo of those 4 would be good and both staal and mcdonagh are good enough to move to the right side if given a normal camp and preseason. the rush to start the season will make it harder...

main reason i'd move staal over mcdonagh is that you would be keeping mcdonagh/girardi together and have some stability there. your plan would mean 3 new pairs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This defense sure could use one more link at the end. Bickel/Eminger/Gilroy is a collective black hole. Im confident this will be addressed.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
As of right now, my preference is:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-Eminger
Bickel
--
Gilroy

I think people forget that Eminger was rounding into solid (for a 3rd pairing Dman) form prior to his injury.

Obviously if you can trade for a 1-year 3rd pairing guy for minimal cost you do it. As others have pointed out, it doesn't hurt to have backup, especially in a shortened season - just look how many guys got injured in the NBA's short season.

nyr33

Aug 12, 2008
Girardi and del zotto were awful together but i do want to get dz top 4 minutes. Maybe reunite staal and girardi and play dz with mcd?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Everything is fine the way it is. Given no individual
Drops off in defensive play, what we had last season works and we just need to work on the 6th man.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good as thread as any to ask ... Does Redden count against the cap this year? If so, does he get a longer look in training camp or will he go straight to the AHL??

Thx guys!

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

agree 100%...Take Bickel all day over Gilroy.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
agree 100%...Take Bickel all day over Gilroy.

I'm telling ya Gilroy is going to drive me nuts if he gets constant playing time. I really hope either Bickel or Eminger get time. I imagine vs. Flyers, Devils, Isles its Bickel and when less fights will occur its Eminger. Sounds dumb but its likely how it goes.

only good thing about Gilroy is the Coach and most players know him so he has the system down in a shortened season

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Stralman
Staal-Eminger

Pretty much what we had last year, but with Eminger replacing Bickel.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Stralman
Staal-Eminger

Pretty much what we had last year, but with Eminger replacing Bickel.

Flip Del Zotto and Staal. Staal is not going to play on the third pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad