Line Combos: Defense Pairings

• Thread starter Boom Boom Geoffrion*
  • Start date

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
bumping this up after the play of Staal and DZ on the 2nd pair.This is the first time in a long time I have seen DZ on the Right side with Staal making a big difference in a game.

If it continues it's awesome as the top 4 players on D will get the top minutes. What does this do to a potential trade target by the deadline?

Do they go for a Lefty shot for LD and keep Stralman on the 3rd pair?

I just think it's a matter of time till Bickel, Eminger or Gilroy is replaced with a vet UFA rental. Can Bickel even play LD? I know Eminger an Gilroy can

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
If the Girardi-McDonagh pair could add some offense like the DZ-Staal, we would be in a pretty good shape. A 6th defenseman that Tortorella plays more than 8 minutes would be nice to have, though. He clearly doesn't trust Bickel or Eminger enough..

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If the Girardi-McDonagh pair could add some offense like the DZ-Staal, we would be in a pretty good shape. A 6th defenseman that Tortorella plays more than 8 minutes would be nice to have, though. He clearly doesn't trust Bickel or Eminger enough..

I remember seeing Gilroy on LD in CT so I imagine he may get a look soon although Eminger has been fine, waaaay better than Bickel

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why did we sign Eminger and Gilroy if Torts is not playing them (for more than 4 minutes a game in the case of Eminger)?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Now that MDZ seems to be settling in at RD next to Staal, Sather needs to get a LD to pair with Stralman that Tortorella can trust for more than 4 minutes a night in playing time.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
mcd/mdz staal/girardi get it done. mdz needs to wake up mcdonagh

Why? The Staal/MDZ pairing just had a sensational game, and look better each time out. And, we have already seen McD and Girardi perform well together. We now have two pairings that include our four best D-men, that can play 23-25 minutes and night. Why break that up?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Short memory.

Considering this post was from before this season I won't include this short season. The team was better defensively with McDonagh-Girardi as the pair and that's with a shell of Staal's former self playing until the playoffs or no Staal at all.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

MDZ's play this year makes me smile. He's been physical, smart, reliable, and created his fair share of offense. So happy with the way he's evolving.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Best top 4 in the league?

Stralman is perfect for the 3rd pair, and I suppose Bickel or Emminger will do.

One thing we haven't seen that much is the Rangers play with the lead. I have a feeling if we go up 1 or 2 goals, we'll see much more balanced time and rotation from Torts.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Best top 4 in the league?

Stralman is perfect for the 3rd pair, and I suppose Bickel or Emminger will do.

One thing we haven't seen that much is the Rangers play with the lead. I have a feeling if we go up 1 or 2 goals, we'll see much more balanced time and rotation from Torts.

But apparently those 2 don't do it for Torts. He's gonna burn out the top-4 in no time at this rate. We need a defenseman who the coaching staff trusts more than 4 minutes a game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Staal and MDZ looked great together last game. Girardi and McDonagh have struggled but it would be amiss to disregard how well they played together last season. I'd keep those two pairs intact. They could really use a bruiser to play with Stralman.

Drewbackatu*

As wonderful a job as Girardi's done on the right-side over the last few years, I'd like to see Torts flirt around with the idea of moving McDonagh there and have Marc as his partner. I think it's time to allow our best 2 dmen to opportunity to play together.

Staal-McDonagh
MDZ-Girardi
Bickel/Stralman/Eminger

Give McDonagh the green-light and have him try and expand his offensive game. He's skilled enough to play both sides, imo, although I honestly don't ever recall him playing there throughout his career. I think Marc and Ryan will bring out the best in eachother.

Allowing MDZ to play on the left side with a stay-at-home dmen like Danny G would allow to open up his offensive game as well. I like the physicality this second pair would possess. I don't like MDZ on the third pair, and I don't like his play on the right side.

Third pair is a work in progress. Had Sauer been healthy, I think things would be a little more black/white. Stralman was one of our most underrated dmen last season, but I don't think he's a bona fide top-4. Slot him down to the third pair. Give him more PP time.

Do you guys feel Staal-McDonagh and MDZ-Girardi as our top-4 would suffice, or be an improvement over what other alternatives we have?

Agree. I would rather have Staal play with McDonagh and Girardi with MDZ as well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad