Decade of Darkness YT Documentary (last part up!)

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I thought it was a very well-done documentary; informative, unflinching, but not inflammatory or crass. Just a straightforward reminder of how far this team has come.

Reactions: Coffey

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
lol I think people put too many emotions into those years
The doc is well done, goes through the highs and the lows (and it's only part 1... the real lows start in part 2!)

Nice to relive our shootout of Gagner/Nilsson/Horcoff going 10-1 in 2008 I think haha
I remember Cogliano tripping over the blue line during one of his shootout attempts during that era. It was back then when I realized there was no such thing as rock bottom. With fools in charge things can always get worse.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watching Ottawa and Buffalo I am ever the more thankful for the McDavid lottery win.
And even with that it took years for this team to become competitive.

Small markets in non-destination cities have it a LOT harder than I think anyone realizes imo.

There's often things said about something in the water. There's a lot of factors and some we probably aren't even aware of.

1. General Free agent tax to come North for even mediocre type players.
2. NHL players tend to not play well under pressure.
3. Does winter depress them?
4. Management pressure to win makes them f*** up more often?
5. Taxes are higher without any benefits. New York city is f***ing New York city..taxes are ok if the City or climate makes up for it.

Nobody knows for certain but I don't think it can be denied just by the results. Draw a heat map of stanley cup winners on the North American map over the last 30 years. All the best G.M's, scouts, etc just happen to come from the southern states with some eastern seaboard sprinkled in? It's not a coincidence.

The one thing that is completely within the organizations control that has been bottom half of the league for the past 30 years is drafting and developing. You can't be a non destination city and suck at drafting and developing. I still think we suck at it.
Alberta is the destination province now. The province is owning interprovincial migration and also seeing a lot of immigration.

For a lot of players it would make sense living here if they had more fiscal sense. For hockey players specifically it makes sense post hockey. here in Canada any player that wants to can have a post career hockey related career. Either in media, endorsements, spokesperson etc. All the players have to unpack is their persona and they have a job here for life. In US hockey players are nothing relative to the other sports and unless you're Gretz or Lemieux you are forgotten in days the moment you retire.

Its about whether one has the foresight to be set for life or just look at the now. I would rather raise a family here as well. Agreeing to be here is setting yourself up for life. I'm sure Manhattan is sexier but look at the exorbitant cost of living.

The player pressure thing is mostly internet. Avoid that and you don't even see most of it. In the rink you have to be a pretty bad player, or playing really bad tohear the catcalls. Doesn't happen often either. Focus is a corollary of fame and fame is of money. Seems odd to accept the one and disregard the other.

That said if I was an owner in Canada, or GM I would isolate players from media. Certainly from media scrums. Rather than question answer format I would just have availabilities of players to speak to anything they would want to. Maybe some prior written questions (maybe from fans instead) and just respond to the ones you want to. "The Pissy Drai" thing is inexcusable, its crossing a line and credentials should be ripped at that point. Players remember that kind of crap. But its easy to prevent it. Sather protected Mess, Fuhr, Coffey from the media dicks. More of this needs to occur now.

Finally there are star Canadian players that have been dissing Canada, and looking off Canada for decades. That may work individually, on a selfish basis but it comes at the cost of hockey in this country being unseated by Soccer, Basketball, Golf, Baseball etc. Players may not realize an ethical responsibility to support hockey in Canada, perhaps by choosing to play more in Canada, and prevent the devolution of hockey in this country relative to other sports. Many more decades of the same behavior and hockey will be distant to other sports in the country. Its already happening.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Colorado are not necessarily cold but there not sunbelt or coastal. Though some the cities are bigger markets than Edmonton, and yes all are warmer overall, but those teams have won almost half of the cups since 2000.

And this old man has yelled at 1000 clouds...
_2yqMV.gif
One of the harder things to understand in the DOD is some of the orgs that were the "Have" markets. I can see Detroit, Chicago, but it was always kind of bizarre that Dallas and Colorado had deep hockey pockets. I guess owner based and willingness to spend is connected. Presumably if Katz had been an owner and willing to spend we would not have had the sparse player payroll here.

I never totally understood how Dallas and Colorado had such huge player draw. Or that they even still do.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I remember Cogliano tripping over the blue line during one of his shootout attempts during that era. It was back then when I realized there was no such thing as rock bottom. With fools in charge things can always get worse.
But scalper tickets cost 20bucks back then so there was a tradeoff of sorts and it was still NHL hockey and as bad as the Oilers were chances were you'd see one good team.

Take a peak now and tickets to todays game, even minimum price,were going near 200bucks/ticket. That was just as of Sunday. As of today some normality and the ticket prices have dropped to 100 but still way overpriced. I mean this is Tuesday and Detroit as an opponent. One of the most boring clubs in the league.

Without a third gallery tier and so much premium priced seating this arena was always going to be expensive to go to. Add the Arena ticket levy to that and its worse. Last game I went to was at Rexall. Ive even turned down free tickets to the new arena. Been to other events there but just don't care for it. I like older hockey barns with atmosphere. Not the glamor palaces of today.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
But scalper tickets cost 20bucks back then so there was a tradeoff of sorts and it was still NHL hockey and as bad as the Oilers were chances were you'd see one good team.

Take a peak now and tickets to todays game, even minimum price,were going near 200bucks/ticket. That was just as of Sunday. As of today some normality and the ticket prices have dropped to 100 but still way overpriced. I mean this is Tuesday and Detroit as an opponent. One of the most boring clubs in the league.

Without a third gallery tier and so much premium priced seating this arena was always going to be expensive to go to. Add the Arena ticket levy to that and its worse. Last game I went to was at Rexall. Ive even turned down free tickets to the new arena. Been to other events there but just don't care for it. I like older hockey barns with atmosphere. Not the glamor palaces of today.
1 .This blasphemy towards the Red Wings will not be tolerated.

2. Taking a leak in a trough standing beside Minnesota North Star coach/exec Glen Sonmor in 1983 at the Saskatoon Arena (not the Current one, but the one that the Bentley brothers played in in the 1930s). The list of players that skated in that barn is HHOF worthy. Now it had atmosphere. Think Edmonton Gardens, saw some games there too, they were cut from the same cloth.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Perhaps not the correct thread, but just wanted to vent something that is different today compared to the DoD. Back then, the team was so bad that I never expected them to win. I watched the games and was happy just to see them score! If they won, holy hell! Amazing!

Today, I expect a win. I'm not even that happy with a win since it should be a given. A goal is nice, but it does not feel like a small victory.

What am I trying to say here? It's easier for me to cheer for an underdog? That the games are not as exciting since there's not much to win? Todays games bore me?

I'm sorry, I would be happy if they won the cup. Everything else feels like a failure. A truth that makes it less enjoyable being a fan.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Perhaps not the correct thread, but just wanted to vent something that is different today compared to the DoD. Back then, the team was so bad that I never expected them to win. I watched the games and was happy just to see them score! If they won, holy hell! Amazing!

Today, I expect a win. I'm not even that happy with a win since it should be a given. A goal is nice, but it does not feel like a small victory.

What am I trying to say here? It's easier for me to cheer for an underdog? That the games are not as exciting since there's not much to win? Todays games bore me?

I'm sorry, I would be happy if they won the cup. Everything else feels like a failure. A truth that makes it less enjoyable being a fan.
Late 90s were my favorite. Underdog team.

If we won a round in the Playoffs it felt like a Stanley Cup. Effort was never questioned.

Roster was always solid, but very little high-end talent. Always had a borderline 1st line and 3 third lines.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Late 90s were my favorite. Underdog team.

If we won a round in the Playoffs it felt like a Stanley Cup. Effort was never questioned.

Roster was always solid, but very little high-end talent. Always had a borderline 1st line and 3 third lines.
Seems like a perfect balance from an underdog-supporter-perspective! ;)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I remember watchin Oil Change. Looking back now.....that was just f***ing embarrassing as a fan

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I blame just being too busy to enjoy Oilers hockey. Family and work just so much right now.

Unlike many on here tho I dont have a cup or bust mentality. I am lucky enough to remember them and how glorious it was. Its extremely hard to win in todays NHL salary world. I am very happy when the Oilers make the playoffs because its so damn hard. Very happy when the Oilers can win via a unprobeable comeback or holding a lead.

The decade of darkness made me appreciate what I call the Ryan Smith years. All effort no skill and no real chance at a cup was very tough after so many great teams.

The decade of darkness is what makes this team and even the 2016 team very enjoyable.

With Holland at the helm I also think its very unreasonable in a salary cap world to expect the Oilers to win. His cap mismanagement has to be one of the worst in the leagues. Along with just some just awful moves like Brown this year.

We are very lucky to be out of the decade of darkness and while I have not watched the documentary, probably wont either because my PTSD is bad enough as it is, its likely very good for younger fans to watch and realize just how lucky we really are right now.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I blame just being too busy to enjoy Oilers hockey. Family and work just so much right now.

Unlike many on here tho I dont have a cup or bust mentality. I am lucky enough to remember them and how glorious it was. Its extremely hard to win in todays NHL salary world. I am very happy when the Oilers make the playoffs because its so damn hard. Very happy when the Oilers can win via a unprobeable comeback or holding a lead.

The decade of darkness made me appreciate what I call the Ryan Smith years. All effort no skill and no real chance at a cup was very tough after so many great teams.

The decade of darkness is what makes this team and even the 2016 team very enjoyable.

With Holland at the helm I also think its very unreasonable in a salary cap world to expect the Oilers to win. His cap mismanagement has to be one of the worst in the leagues. Along with just some just awful moves like Brown this year.

We are very lucky to be out of the decade of darkness and while I have not watched the documentary, probably wont either because my PTSD is bad enough as it is, its likely very good for younger fans to watch and realize just how lucky we really are right now.

I was 13 when they won the last one. Old enough to remember but too young and innocent to understand and appreciate how special what we had was.

Reactions: Aerchon

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Insane amount of research, media collecting and editing on these...
I know people expect it to be a lot of "THESE DUDES SUCKED" over and over
But like you said, dude has done his homework on all the stats/trades and even mentions the positives.

Reactions: snag

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I know people expect it to be a lot of "THESE DUDES SUCKED" over and over
But like you said, dude has done his homework on all the stats/trades and even mentions the positives.

I actually felt a lot of sympathy for the players. Just living their dream, while being fortunate enough to collect a paycheque....getting booed by your "fans" and torn to shreds by everyone...and none of them ever given the opportunity to succeed (unless they got traded out).

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I actually felt a lot of sympathy for the players. Just living their dream, while being fortunate enough to collect a paycheque....getting booed by your "fans" and torn to shreds by everyone...and none of them ever given the opportunity to succeed (unless they got traded out).
Watching that scene in the recent episode where they got booed walking back to the dressing room was rough.
When I was younger I was like "YA TAKE THAT IDIOTS!" now I'm like "oooof that must have been tough".

Also forgot how much of a spaz Fasth was. But it came back to me lol

Reactions: alanschu and snag

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Reminds me that I really enjoyed the Oil Change series even though there wasn't a whole lot of change happening at that time (in terms of team performance!)

When I was younger I was like "YA TAKE THAT IDIOTS!" now I'm like "oooof that must have been tough"

The thing I always remind myself of is that it's very unlikely that any of these pro athletes need to hear for me about how much the team is struggling XD

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Watching that scene in the recent episode where they got booed walking back to the dressing room was rough.
When I was younger I was like "YA TAKE THAT IDIOTS!" now I'm like "oooof that must have been tough".

Also forgot how much of a spaz Fasth was. But it came back to me lol
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad