Decade of Darkness YT Documentary (last part up!)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I personally refer to the "Thirteen Years of Thirst", which are 2006-07 through 2018-19. (There was only a short blip in there, which was 2016-17, when the club made the playoffs but then suffered a spirit-destroying loss in round two. Then, another two wasted seasons after that -- thanks, Chiarelli.)

I feel like the current "version" of the club sort of started mid-way through 2019-20. In other words, at the exactly moment the 2020's began....

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Didn’t watch the video…yet.

I was part of a group that bought two pairs of season seats, all during the d.o.d.

Only thing I’m gonna say is for those who complain about our power play, the decade of darkness special teams were something else.

The oilers would be lucky to gain entry in the offensive zone, nor retain or gain the puck back, let alone set something up and gawd forbid get a shot on net.

Was so bad I wanted them to just decline the penalty.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Why would anyone want to relive that shitshow
I think things like this can bring some perspective to life (or sports life).

Always remember how bad we were to really cherish what we are watching now (cup or no cup in the end). Things can always be much worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coffey

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
I think things like this can bring some perception to life (or sports life).

Always remember how bad we were to really cherish what we are watching now (cup or no cup in the end). Things can always be much worse.
Agreed, I watched it after it came up in my suggested yesterday and was going to post it here. As it was interesting, lots of things I kind of forgot about to some degree or just repressed.

Reactions: Coffey

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There will be a time to revisit the dark days. Maybe when we hoist Lord Stanley. But I don’t need PTSD right now.

• Love
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Enough mental health issues in Edmonton right now without having to relive that.

That is designed for people in Toronto or Calgary to watch so it can brighten their spirits
lol I think people put too many emotions into those years
The doc is well done, goes through the highs and the lows (and it's only part 1... the real lows start in part 2!)

Nice to relive our shootout of Gagner/Nilsson/Horcoff going 10-1 in 2008 I think haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That was the worst. A terrible hockey team my entire prime fun years.

Boooooo
Approximately 92-96 felt like the worst. If only because it came after the ultimate high, and was the ultimate low. In a few short years we went from the best team in the world to a team people didnt' even want to see. The plus I guess was tickets were cheap and Jason Arnott was good for awhile. I challenge anybody to look at the 93, 94, lineups and say that wasn't the worst Oilers team of alltime. Oh f*** they were bad.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Watching Ottawa and Buffalo I am ever the more thankful for the McDavid lottery win.
And even with that it took years for this team to become competitive.

Small markets in non-destination cities have it a LOT harder than I think anyone realizes imo.

There's often things said about something in the water. There's a lot of factors and some we probably aren't even aware of.

1. General Free agent tax to come North for even mediocre type players.
2. NHL players tend to not play well under pressure.
3. Does winter depress them?
4. Management pressure to win makes them f*** up more often?
5. Taxes are higher without any benefits. New York city is f***ing New York city..taxes are ok if the City or climate makes up for it.

Nobody knows for certain but I don't think it can be denied just by the results. Draw a heat map of stanley cup winners on the North American map over the last 30 years. All the best G.M's, scouts, etc just happen to come from the southern states with some eastern seaboard sprinkled in? It's not a coincidence.

The one thing that is completely within the organizations control that has been bottom half of the league for the past 30 years is drafting and developing. You can't be a non destination city and suck at drafting and developing. I still think we suck at it.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Watching Ottawa and Buffalo I am ever the more thankful for the McDavid lottery win.
And even with that it took years for this team to become competitive.

Small markets in non-destination cities have it a LOT harder than I think anyone realizes imo.

There's often things said about something in the water. There's a lot of factors and some we probably aren't even aware of.

1. General Free agent tax to come North for even mediocre type players.
2. NHL players tend to not play well under pressure.
3. Does winter depress them?
4. Management pressure to win makes them f*** up more often?
5. Taxes are higher without any benefits. New York city is f***ing New York city..taxes are ok if the City or climate makes up for it.

Nobody knows for certain but I don't think it can be denied just by the results. Draw a heat map of stanley cup winners on the North American map over the last 30 years. All the best G.M's, scouts, etc just happen to come from the southern states with some eastern seaboard sprinkled in? It's not a coincidence.

The one thing that is completely within the organizations control that has been bottom half of the league for the past 30 years is drafting and developing. You can't be a non destination city and suck at drafting and developing. I still think we suck at it.

Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Colorado are not necessarily cold but there not sunbelt or coastal. Though some the cities are bigger markets than Edmonton, and yes all are warmer overall, but those teams have won almost half of the cups since 2000.

And this old man has yelled at 1000 clouds...
_2yqMV.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4