GDT: Dec. 30 • Group A • Canada 5, Slovakia 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Samuel Baroš should start between the pipes, from what I heard in news. I don't like it at all.

You got to be kidding? I get that they want to save Sabol for "more winnable" game against Czech on Tuesday, but come on. Not a fan of this decision, Canada CAN be beaten, Czech's showed that and I do think the Slovaks are a better team than Czech.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Fucale will be solid enough for the win. Biggest question is whether Sutter manages the bench well. Guys like Leier and Petan (among others) need reduced roles at this point.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You got to be kidding? I get that they want to save Sabol for "more winnable" game against Czech on Tuesday, but come on. Not a fan of this decision, Canada CAN be beaten, Czech's showed that and I do think the Slovaks are a better team than Czech.
Ironically, the Czechs also used their backup. Maybe yours will give an equally inspiring performance.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Fucale will be solid enough for the win. Biggest question is whether Sutter manages the bench well. Guys like Leier and Petan (among others) need reduced roles at this point.

Put McDavid Reinhart and Drouin together for the first period and the game is pretty much over.

It's shocking that Team Canada is loaded with grinders while there is only few skilled finesse guys.

You should fix the lines as follows:

McDavid-Drouin-Reinhart: a deadly combo for the rest of the tournament
Lazar-Petan-Anderson
Hudon-Horvat-Mantha
Rychel-Laughton-Gauthier

The 1st line scores at will; the second and third line chip in some secondary scoring.
4th line is what it is - and should shut down the 1st line of the opposition.

Okay, make these changes, coach, and good things start to happen.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Canada better watch out Martin Reway. Slovakia is a one line team so if we can shut down the Reway line, Canada should be fine.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
after beating by Czechs, Canada is going to show different performance. I expect many scored goals from them. Hope Slovakia will show something too.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm afraid that the seed of doubt has already been planted in the minds of the young and inexperienced Canadians, they will play cautious which will lead to mistakes and the outcome being very much in doubt late in the 3rd. 50/50 this game can go either way.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
I'm afraid that the seed of doubt has already been planted in the minds of the young and inexperienced Canadians,

this doesnt sound like Canadiens to me. I dont expect they will have 2 bad games in a row.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well Team Canada ought to be awfully fired up. Came away pretty impressed with Slovakia when they played USA, so they better bring a better game than last time out. Those top two lines on Slovakia can do damage. I don't think Paterson was strong but he seems to have taken an awful lot of blame like so often happens to goalies even though his teammates were poor. Guessing they practiced face-offs and in zone coverage a lot yesterday.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I'm afraid that the seed of doubt has already been planted in the minds of the young and inexperienced Canadians, they will play cautious which will lead to mistakes and the outcome being very much in doubt late in the 3rd. 50/50 this game can go either way.

In that case this will be a battle of two great hockey minds: Drouin and Reway - who both lead and inspire their ranks by superior touch and self-confidence.

Oct 15, 2008

I think so too. Canada could lose the next two quite easily. They could also win the next two fairly easily. It will be interesting to see how they respond. Again, decisions on who they took and who they left off the team should be questioned. They need to ditch the current format/way they pick the team. They need a dedicated full time coach for this tourney. No more club team fill ins.

Also Fred Brathwaite should be thrown under a bus and then burned in a fire. So tired of goaltending letting this team down.

Oct 15, 2008

You couldnt be more off. Fucale is shaky at best. And Sutter needs to get guys like Petan and Leier going, they need to be contributing, not sitting on the bench. Should have taken Leipsic and put all three together on a line. Also leaving Nurse off the team in favour of Pelech and Bigras is a debacle of monumental proportions.

Bob Nicholson should be tied to a horse and dragged through a cactus patch.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
You couldnt be more off. Fucale is shaky at best. And Sutter needs to get guys like Petan and Leier going, they need to be contributing, not sitting on the bench. Should have taken Leipsic and put all three together on a line. Also leaving Nurse off the team in favour of Pelech and Bigras is a debacle of monumental proportions.

Bob Nicholson should be tied to a horse and dragged through a cactus patch.

Agreed. Canada made so many bad roster decisions this year. Nurse was the worst, but there was also:

Jarry and Comrie left off for Paterson and Fucale, also no 3rd goalie brought over.
Emile Poirier was left off was a big one for me too

There also needed to be a mechanism for McDavid to basically make him the 13th forward/PP weapon. Right now he's being depended on way too much and the pressure is clearly getting to him. In the last game, Sutter should have kept playing him OR committed to the benching and NOT put him in the all important shootout.

They left Beauvillier, Connor Brown, and Verhaege all off too

BluPuk*

To be brutally honest, I can't believe these two goalies are the best we have in the entire country. I have seen Fucale play and he was not as good as Paterson is. The Slovaks are better than the Czechs (we just made them look good). If we win this game, it won't be played in our end, and that's a big if....

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
oh well...canadian fans already jinxed this one by saying its an "easy win", but as we can see Czech against Germany, there isnt "easy win"...first period will be crucial...if and there is big IF Svk will survive then we will see another great game like SVK-USA with third period blowout in favor of Canada...7:3 (Dano, Reway, Kolena for SVK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad