Confirmed with Link: DeBoer the new Sharks head coach (officially official)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Don't really follow the Devils much but I have heard that Henrique, Merrill and Severson did very well under him?

Just feels like since Larsson didn't flourish under him people make him out to be bad with all the young players.

That's a valid point. For some reason, DeBoer handled Larsson and Josefson very oddly. After he was hired by the Devils, some Florida posters had warned us that some of their youngsters (Kulikov off the top of my head) also got weird treatment at times.

The vets in New Jersey seemed to like/respect DeBoer though. So that could bode well for the Sharks if the goal is to light a fire for a roster that isn't far off. When DeBoer took over the Devils, we were coming off a gong show year (Parise got hurt, a bunch of D went down early) but were only one year removed from winning the division. With everybody back and some tweaks, we made the Finals that first year. Sharks could bounce back like they did in 2003 to 2004.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I want to see Wilson make improvements on the d to see what this guy can do with an adequate lineup. He didn't have much in either nj or fla.

...and he did bring the Devils to he Finals, which is something a bunch of people on this board are obsessed with. I am not happy about this hire, if it holds true, but the sky isn't falling...

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Pete Deboer is a damn good coach. You should all be happy.

The guy will probably bring in Dave Barr for either your Powerplay, or Penalty Kill, and he was extremely successful at both with NJ.

Deboers system was extremely frustrating when we had the personnel to execute it. The forwards hard on the forecheck, the defense picking great times to pinch.

Adam Larsson was the big negative in Deboers NJ day. What Devils fans won't tell you is that Deboer really helped Adam Larssons defensive game a ton.

Seriously, I'm very happy for you guys. Congrats!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've heard this before, but this is based on what exactly? Because he wasn't happy with Larrson and didn't play him when he didn't perform?

His Florida stint is a big tell. Those teams were almost entirely made up of players in the development process and they didn't really take any positive steps. He's had a few successes in New Jersey but the same issues crop up. I didn't say he's completely incapable of developing players. He's just not good at it as his coaching history shows.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I posted this on the general board. Pros and cons with Deboer:

Pros:
- A sound tactician who will implement a thorough, multi-phased system. Even Jagr stated that the Devils puck pursuit oriented system on both sides of the ice was complex. Breakouts, assignments, etc.
- commands respect in locker-room

Cons:
- Holds grudges against players who's play style & demeanor he differs with (see Larsson, Tedenby and others)
- Plays favorites with role players who follow his orders to a 'T'
- Stubborn in bucking from his philosophy when it doesn't work
- if this sharks team does not have the proper conditioning, DeBoer will burn them out with his aggressive system. It's very taxing and an older devils team simply burnt out as the season went along.

So the Sharks fired McLellan only to hire...McLellan 2.0 :sarcasm:

As I said his offensive system isn't very different from what McLellan used and personally I was hoping for a 180 from the D&C heavy forecheck system.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
- commands respect in locker-room
- if this sharks team does not have the proper conditioning, DeBoer will burn them out with his aggressive system. It's very taxing and an older devils team simply burnt out as the season went along.

Need to ensure that there is respect in/out of lockerroom. And I think that might start with a new captain (Pavelski, me thinks).

Sharks have been into conditioning for more than a decade. Even have a training camp award for best conditioned. (Pavelski has usually won it.)

:shakehead

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Henrique was different. Zajac got hurt and we had no centers so deboer stuck him on a line with kovalchuk and parise. Merrill earned his trust pretty quick and severson flourished under everyone. Guys like gelinas and larsson, Boucher would make one mistake and would be banished. He's not as bad as he seems but he's not great either. It's more or less his personell decisions leaning on old veterans than giving the younger guy an extended role

K, fair enough. But let's face it , almost every coach in the NHL opts their vets over their youngsters unless their GM's give them no other options but to play their youngsters.
Why hasn't for example Babcock earned a similar reputation when he kept playing Cleary and Bertuzzi over Nyquist,Tatar, Helm and championed the approach 'tie goes to the vet' ? :)

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Who is the young shark player most likely to end up in DeBoer's doghouse? Because it will happen. Pete will banish a young player for making a bad turnover at center ice.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I promise you're not gonna like this.

Even if you like it for one year or in the beginning.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Can't wait to see how this guy's pro-cess compares to the last guy's.

Sort of simillar. Deboer will be more aggressive with the Swarm, might even make Brown and Scott look respectable assuming they are capable of doing what he tells them to do. He also is more creative on entries.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Veteran guys will be given a long leash, especially those of the defensive persuasion. Zajac would make many boneheaded mistakes and he would never be taken to task for it. In fact, I think DeBoer benched him only once after a terrible period of play. The biggest problem with DeBoer is that he creates two classes of players and that could lead to problems down the line.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I hope it's not true. Given all the hate for GM Doug Wilson these days, feels like DW is trolling us.

"I can do anything I want because I have Hasso Plattner in my back pocket. Don't believe me? Here's Peter Deboer for your head coach. Bwahahahaha." :shakehead

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Veteran guys will be given a long leash, especially those of the defensive persuasion. Zajac would make many boneheaded mistakes and he would never be taken to task for it. In fact, I think DeBoer benched him only once after a terrible period of play. The biggest problem with DeBoer is that he creates two classes of players and that could lead to problems down the line.

This is already a problem in the locker room, I am glad DW wants to hire someone that will compound that issue.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This is already a problem in the locker room, I am glad DW wants to hire someone that will compound that issue.

You would hope that Robinson would act as a conduit so as to get Deboer acquainted with the DOs and DONTS learned from last year.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ Robinson is moving to Florida to be part of scouting/development

He's basically retired from coaching

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00