Speculation: de Haan signs for??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Another "comparable" to de Haan:

Brian Dumoulin's asking for $4.35 million on a 1 year deal in arbitration. Pens offered $1.9 million on a 1 year deal. I wonder if de Haan's "ask" is similar to Dumoulin's.

Yikes. I can't imagine a player so offensively deficient getting that kinda cash in arbitration. I'd walk away from that **** for sure if he got it.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
He's easily worth 4-4.5 million. That offer from Snow is insulting.

1) It's Snow
2) It's an opening "offer"

Still if he tried to lock him up long term at that AAV, I catch your drift. I mean Pelech got 1.6 with limited experience. DeHaan with over 300 games experience and passing the eye test, he should get just about 4, which is what I think he's worth + signing and maybe performance bonuses

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's a negotiation tactic, not really an offer.

I mean yes, technically it's an offer, but players are always going to ask for 1-1.5M per more than what they are worth, so teams combat that by offering 1-1.5M per less than what they are worth. The arbitrator usually picks a number right in the middle of the two offers, and NYI didn't protect de Haan in the expansion draft so the arbitrator may end up picking a number closer to the Islanders' offer as opposed to de Haan's ask (if it gets to that point).

I think de Haan gets signed long term at around 4M per still, but wouldn't be surprised if Snow gets him at around 3.75M per either based off of these numbers. He plays hardball almost too much.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean yes, technically it's an offer, but players are always going to ask for 1-1.5M per more than what they are worth, so teams combat that by offering 1-1.5M per less than what they are worth. The arbitrator usually picks a number right in the middle of the two offers, and NYI didn't protect de Haan in the expansion draft so the arbitrator may end up picking a number closer to the Islanders' offer as opposed to de Haan's ask (if it gets to that point).

I think de Haan gets signed long term at around 4M per still, but wouldn't be surprised if Snow gets him at around 3.75M per either based off of these numbers. He plays hardball almost too much.

Also, keep in mind that the offer the Isles submitted to the arbitrator likely isn't the offer they've been presenting to De Haan's camp during negotiations. It's probably about $1 million to $1.5 million lower than what they're probably offering in negotiation in order to keep the final arbitrator's decision lower.

In negotiations, chances are the Isles are offering $3 million or there abouts and De Haan's camp is probably asking for $4.5 million. So both sides "exaggerated" their bids in arbitration so that the final settlement would fall closer to a reasonable number for either side.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Agree with the bolded. DeHaan seems like a guy who cares about stuff like this and this low ball offer may get in the way of getting a long term deal done. He seemed to be legitimately put off by the Islanders not protecting him. I could see Snow's offer here getting CdH's back up and insulted. Ultimately they still may get a deal done, but this seems like a pretty drastic under bid in arbitration - more so than we are used to seeing. If the Isles offered $2.9m, I could understand it.

I hope they get a deal done in the $4m - $4.25m AAV range.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if the arbitrator selects 4.5 as the salary is it just for 1 season or does either side have ability via the arbitrator process to make it 2 ?

anyone get the sense that snows ego is ******** from calvins comments after the world cup or that cdh took isles to arb. ?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
if the arbitrator selects 4.5 as the salary is it just for 1 season or does either side have ability via the arbitrator process to make it 2 ?

anyone get the sense that snows ego is ******** from calvins comments after the world cup or that cdh took isles to arb. ?

If the player elects to file for arbitration, the team gets to select the number of years (either 1 or 2). If the team takes it to arbitration, then the player selects the number of years (either 1 or 2).

I believe it was De Haan who elected to go to arbitration, so it'll be up to the Isles to submit the number of years the settlement will be for.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Agree with the bolded. DeHaan seems like a guy who cares about stuff like this and this low ball offer may get in the way of getting a long term deal done. He seemed to be legitimately put off by the Islanders not protecting him. I could see Snow's offer here getting CdH's back up and insulted. Ultimately they still may get a deal done, but this seems like a pretty drastic under bid in arbitration - more so than we are used to seeing. If the Isles offered $2.9m, I could understand it.

Nothing is routine or easy with Garth. IMO 1.9 is an offensive offer from Snow. Even double that offer is below market value. I see a big discrepancy between player and team. Maybe CdH isn't long for the island? They do love Toews.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

for all we know (as usual) Snow offered $3 long term, and CDH was firm at $5. then Snow decided to lowball, since CDH was highballing.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
His qualifying offer was at 2.5 million I think I recall, which snow did extend to dehaan. The number to the arbitrator is obviously just a negotiating number, and certainly isn't what the longer term extension offers would have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad