DDT: 2007 NHL Entry Draft 7PM EDT RDS, TSN, NHLN.. Part II

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
7 years ago. It really puts things in perspective.

I can remember jumping into the roof of my buddy's room when we drafted Pacioretty. Very very pumped we got McDonagh as well.

How did you feel when mtl gave mcdonagh away?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How did you feel when mtl gave mcdonagh away?

I was at work. Finishing cleaning up for the day and my mom came in told me they had traded Higgins for Gomez. I was absolutely pissed. Higgins was my favorite player on the team at the time and I felt that we shouldn't be giving up anything to take on Gomez as I hated him as a player, his contract was terrible and none of his attributes brought anything to the team that addressed a glaring need.

When I got home and found out that McDonagh had been added to the deal. I was stunned. There were no words. I stared blankly at the HFboards screen, hoping, just hoping that the report was wrong and that it was hopeful thinking on the Rangers side.

We should be the team getting back the blue chip prospect to have the Rangers wash their hands of yet another free agent mistake. Instead, we gave up the best two players in the deal. Took back the highest salary player who ended up being a burden for almost the entirety of his contract. An on and off ice distraction.

Watching him dominate the league and dominate us in the play-offs is just a horrific reminder of why you never give up on blue chip prospects so early in their development. The staff thought he had a poor WJC. I didn't think so. I thought he was left out to dry by lack of better partners on that WJC squad. Overblown that he had trouble against John Tavares. He doesn't now.

Gainey lost it that day. That single trade has had the most negative impact on the franchise since Rejean Houle. It's the trade, that if we don't win the cup with the core of Subban/Price.. will be the one we reflect on for years as what could have been.

hf27

Jan 29, 2013
I was at work. Finishing cleaning up for the day and my mom came in told me they had traded Higgins for Gomez. I was absolutely pissed. Higgins was my favorite player on the team at the time and I felt that we shouldn't be giving up anything to take on Gomez as I hated him as a player, his contract was terrible and none of his attributes brought anything to the team that addressed a glaring need.

When I got home and found out that McDonagh had been added to the deal. I was stunned. There were no words. I stared blankly at the HFboards screen, hoping, just hoping that the report was wrong and that it was hopeful thinking on the Rangers side.

We should be the team getting back the blue chip prospect to have the Rangers wash their hands of yet another free agent mistake. Instead, we gave up the best two players in the deal. Took back the highest salary player who ended up being a burden for almost the entirety of his contract. An on and off ice distraction.

Watching him dominate the league and dominate us in the play-offs is just a horrific reminder of why you never give up on blue chip prospects so early in their development. The staff thought he had a poor WJC. I didn't think so. I thought he was left out to dry by lack of better partners on that WJC squad. Overblown that he had trouble against John Tavares. He doesn't now.

Gainey lost it that day. That single trade has had the most negative impact on the franchise since Rejean Houle. It's the trade, that if we don't win the cup with the core of Subban/Price.. will be the one we reflect on for years as what could have been.

Agreed! Extreme disappointment at the trade when it happened and even today. Suppose one can say we got Galchenyuk a few years later from the fall out of the trade. If/when mtl win's the cup, Galchenyuk has to play a significant role.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yeah. I honestly had no idea who he is. I didn't know he was black. I didn't know if he was a defenseman :laugh:

Safe to say, I know who he is now.

i didnt know who he was, but i saw his draft interview where he cracked that joke, i knew he was ready for primetime,...then i saw his offseason ice pylon drill thing and it just blew me away, was a insta fan

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Absolutely. Which is what I was doing before becoming a PRO wannabe scout. ;)

My Subban comment was made ENTIRELY based on reports. I don't remember really watching him. My Price comments was solely based on the fact that at the time, I thought we needed more talented players than a talented goalie. And in the end, if we would have ended up with a pairing of Kopitar-Quick, instead of Price-Latendresse, I'm not sure it would have been THAT bad. But then I went it and wondered about Timmins credentials...well that was dumb. I matured over the years even if I still believe that for the sake of a board, you stil need people with strong opinions. I have no idea how people would love to continually read "When, we can't say ****, we will see in 4 years". Over and over again. Nobody would read that. So what I choose to do is to actually watch prospects all year long live, TV and Net, so that at least I know what I'm talking about. And if Timmins choose a player I have no idea who he is, well while I won't be able to say that he sucks.....I still will be able to say that based on MY viewings, I would have love to pick this or that player. Just like I really wondered about the Erik Nystrom pick and go for other players though nobody really played in the league so far but some will while we're about to let go Nystrom. Yet, I was also thrilled to see the Sullivan pick as I loved the profile he had for a 7th rounder and yet....that also will not be working out. But they are just 7th rounders, I know.

Agreed with everything you've posted here. I don't follow the prospects as much as I would like. Any information that can be spread to these parts from more informed posters like yourself is appreciated. I read the reports and listen to posters here, ie Grant/Yourself and others and kind of just go with the flow. I have full trust in Timmins, as I truly think he's the absolute best in the business. Every now and then I may not like a pick as the one or two guys I did follow get passed over, but it's more just personal preference because I know a bit more about them.

I, like you wasn't too fond of the PRice selection at the time just because in general, I don't feel goaltenders should be drafted with 1st round selections, more a difference in philosophy than the player himself.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Agreed! Extreme disappointment at the trade when it happened and even today. Suppose one can say we got Galchenyuk a few years later from the fall out of the trade. If/when mtl win's the cup, Galchenyuk has to play a significant role.

So if Montreal wins a cup and Galchenyuk doesn't play an important role, I take it you won't be pleased? :sarcasm:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Here is the thread...

Enjoy.;)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=156288

And Whitesnake, here it is:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=3166825&postcount=102

It's funny when you think about it...

Our 3 best players: Price, Subban and Pacioretty all received mainly negative comments when they got drafted.

Some posts are so cringe worthy even with the benefit of hindsight. "the next Brashear"
laqXDyo.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad