Montreal
here

nhldraft.jpg

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
And we are back...

The man went for contact on his picks. He bunted.

An homerun is two things: Taking a risk to swing and miss, and instant points. Neither pick is really risky, and neither is NHL ready.

A single is more safe, but you don't score any points with singles. You need many singles.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Gainey and Timmins were so happy on stage with the first pick. With Pacioretti they didn't seem very happy. Did GG ***** them out and take away their mojo?

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
And we are back...

The man went for contact on his picks. He bunted.

An homerun is two things: Taking a risk to swing and miss, and instant points. Neither pick is really risky, and neither is NHL ready.

A single is more safe, but you don't score any points with singles. You need many singles.

The only potential homerun I saw was Cherepanov. I'm loving the first pick and the comments we heard from poeple in the know.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
I think Timmins meant he was going for a player he thought would become a force by "homerun", not necessarily immediately.

But I have no idea what to think of these picks. I know Timmins is good and he probably had very good reasons for his picks, but they certainly lack the 'wow' factor.

supertzar

Aug 2, 2005
Connecticut
I guess with the "homerun" talk I was looking for a goal scorer like Cherepanov or Esposito (obviously there's the debate on him). But at the same time, I realize the organization needed defensive depth.

Like many others, I wanted some kind or future star offensive forward, to SCORE GOALS, something I believe we need. But again, as others pointed out, this isn't a star filled draft.

In the end I'm not angry with the picks, and I'm not jumping out of my seat either. Hopefully it works out. Maybe we'll find offensive through UFA/trades?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

This is kinda what I was thinking. Interesting that they had the names on both jerseys as if they were the two "homerun" targets. I see "strong two-way players" as second round picks. I think we could have traded down to get him and in the process move up in the second, but hey.

I am satisfied with the picks, but I don't see how you could call them homeruns.

Nobak

Jul 30, 2005
Eklund kind of dropped the ball about Montreal and Esposito, did he?

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Nothing sexy with the picks today. Not even exotic names.

But you know what? Timmins has a wicked track record so people can b**** all they want.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don't know enough of Pacioretty . The Hockey News has him compared to Erik Cole. If that's the case, we don't have similar players in our system.

That being said, I can't help feeling somewhat let down. Espo was risky but the possibility of pure offense in our system would of been fun to follow.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
Montreal seems to have completely given up on the "flashy scorer" type of player.

Pascal

Sep 19, 2005
Montreal
I like the first pick in McDonagh. Haven't read much on Pacioretty though. He didn't seem happy at all.

I would have loved the habs to pick Cherepanov.. the team lacks excitement, speed, and explosiveness. I'm surprised they passed on Backlund with the 22nd pick, we need Centres real bad.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I'm extremely happy with McDonagh, he was my pick at 12. At 22, I would have picked Sweatt, but I am happy with Pacioretty. If we get one of Sweatt/Tyrell/Legein/Aliu with the 42nd, I will cream my pants. Ok not actually.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
36. Max Pacioretty LW

A late ‘88 birth date with good size who played in the USHL and put up over a point per game. He is called a true power forward. In other words, a guy who should hit, score and go to the net hard to distract the goalie and battle for rebounds. He fits that profile better than any other prospect in the draft and could go much higher than this. Some faint concerns about his hockey sense.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
How many time have you seen them play? Or talk to him?

No, I'm not complaining abou them either. I'm quite confident in the Habs staff..

Just from what I had heard from those two guys, they seemed like guys that are pretty much sure fire NHL guys who have limited top-end potential(hopefully I'm wrong on that front).

Again, I'm happy with our picks and have high expectations of them, but I'm nevertheless surprised after the way theyh were talking about hitting a homerun.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I like the first pick in McDonagh. Haven't read much on Pacioretty though. He didn't seem happy at all.

I would have loved the habs to pick Cherepanov.. the team lacks excitement, speed, and explosiveness. I'm surprised they passed on Backlund with the 22nd pick, we need Centres real bad.

I bet his injured knee scared them off.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
I guess with the "homerun" talk I was looking for a goal scorer like Cherepanov or Esposito (obviously there's the debate on him). But at the same time, I realize the organization needed defensive depth.

Like many others, I wanted some kind or future star offensive forward, to SCORE GOALS, something I believe we need. But again, as others pointed out, this isn't a star filled draft.

In the end I'm not angry with the picks, and I'm not jumping out of my seat either. Hopefully it works out. Maybe we'll find offensive through UFA/trades?

Outside of the top end talent I don't think it was really available. Most people in this draft seems to be really safe two-way players. Cherepanov and Espo both had issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad