Post-Game Talk: DC v TB @ 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Do people still want to leave Eller unprotected at expansion draft? Always thought that was a huge mistake in thought process. C's typically make the team. I can't see the team wanting to lose him.

Resign Oshie:
Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom. Burakovsky, Johansson, Eller, Oshie.

Sorry Wilson, Beagle, Connolly. But that core of 7 forwards will keep the Caps offense in synch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It is impressive how difficult it is to find a player with a similar game to another that we all know. We all know hundreds of players and yet we struggle to find a consensus on a comparable.

When I think of Nylander I think of a 20G 60A non physical player first and foremost. When I think of Eller, the first thought is his physical game and the skill that does not quite match.

I think of Eller closer to Bobby Gould than a Nylander, and that is not a negative against Eller at all.

again, I did say bigger and stronger. I am speaking only of his puck handling and skating skills. he changes directions in very tight spaces, like the corners, with the puck and maintains control. His possession ability is tight spaces with opposing players is what I am talking about.

That's all I am talking about. Bobby Gould was pretty much a blunt instrument.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sorry but puck handling, Nylander is in a different class.

Changing directions etc, I will have to watch for that more.

LOL @ Blunt instrument. We call them bottom 6ers.

Name the movie: Do you think you can dissect me with this blunt little tool?

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Do people still want to leave Eller unprotected at expansion draft? Always thought that was a huge mistake in thought process. C's typically make the team. I can't see the team wanting to lose him.

Resign Oshie:
Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom. Burakovsky, Johansson, Eller, Oshie.

Sorry Wilson, Beagle, Connolly. But that core of 7 forwards will keep the Caps offense in synch.

Oshie isn't going to be signed until after the expansion draft. There is 0 reason to do otherwise. That enables another off that list of forwards and that should be Wilson.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Have the lambs stopped screaming?

giphy.gif

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They don't need to worry about forward being taken in the expansion draft unless they seriously plan to trade Grubauer before the draft.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Eller reminds me of Ulf Dahlen. Decent amount of skill and play-making ability, but a surprising amount of strength on puck, strong board play and grinding capability

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie isn't going to be signed until after the expansion draft. There is 0 reason to do otherwise. That enables another off that list of forwards and that should be Wilson.

Well, there is reason to do otherwise. Las Vegas will have a few days window to sign unprotected UFA's before the actual UFA period, and who knows what they might throw at players to get a marquee name. Could be anything.

It's also dangerous to let a player get that close to FA status. You then can have bidding wars develop. You may keep the player, but at a higher cost. Which this year, the Caps cannot afford.

So if they want to keep Oshie, it absolutely makes sense to do it now. As soon as possible. Not after the expansion draft. Unless they have a "wink wink" from TJ and his agent, and it's "done but not done", then it's foolish to wait.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Eller and Beagle are win now players one season away from UFA. Not sure why McPhee would want either of them. Particularly when Schmidt and Grubauer who can be multiyear fixtures are available.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eller and Beagle are win now players one season away from UFA. Not sure why McPhee would want either of them. Particularly when Schmidt and Grubauer who can be multiyear fixtures are available.

Because as a GM getting a second chance in a new market that values shiny, splashy, risky plays he's probably going to need to have an exciting, competition-ready team rather than multiple 3-5 year plans under a tolerant owner like Leonsis.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Your Wilson bias colours you here Tex. I'm not letting my Beagle bias do the same. Caps want to "win now" in Ovy's window, you keep the stud 3C (possession wise, defense, PK, and even scoring). Not to mentioned you just dumped 2 2nds to get him, probably because he has that extra year on his contract.

You don't keep the "I hope he will be more than a 3rd liner" winger over that 3C. Even if he's Tom Wilson. You just can't.

Maybe they keep both and lose Oshie. We will see.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Because as a GM getting a second chance in a new market that values shiny, splashy, risky plays he's probably going to need to have an exciting, competition-ready team rather than multiple 3-5 year plans under a tolerant owner like Leonsis.

Not sure Vegas is ready for the excitement of Beagle & Eller.

There is no way the Caps should be protecting Beagle. Eller is more debatable, subject to continued success of the 3rd line...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Eller can center a scoring line. He would be top 6 C for Vegas, as I can't imagine they will have 2 better C's than him on the roster next year. Maybe they trade for one and sign a Ribeiro type so he'd be a 3C. But... they'd be thrilled with him as their 3C

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And, worst case, he could sell any pending UFAs at the deadline for a premium and stockpile picks. I doubt he'd pick either over Grubauer, Schmidt, Wilson or Connolly since they could be pieces for a few years but with some teams that may be the smarter value play ultimately.

Vegas will need to make deals after the expansion draft to further rebalance and consolidate their roster so pending UFAs could be valuable trade pieces for win-now clubs as well. It's not just about acquiring players for next season's roster and beyond via expansion but amassing assets that position them best in a multitude of ways. Adding 30 pretty much waiver-eligible players will force them to be creative in how best to set up that roster next fall. Add in their ability to take on assets not to select a player or take on cap dumps and it's a pretty fascinating blank slate. There are so many variables at play beyond just building an expansion team's identity and quickly building up a core.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure Vegas is ready for the excitement of Beagle & Eller.

There is no way the Caps should be protecting Beagle. Eller is more debatable, subject to continued success of the 3rd line...

You can't keep Wilson over Eller. I know we love our wingers here in Capsland, but you keep the C over the W everytime. Eller can play 2C. Maybe Wilson can play top 6W. Either way, you
Have to keep Eller.

And I love Beagle, but I wouldn't see GMGM taking him. He's sure take Eller

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Lars Eller is shiny and splashy?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Lars Eller is shiny and splashy?

You talked yourself in a circle, tex. You said Eller is "win now" and I said McPhee and Vegas will be in win-now mode right out of the gate. That town is not going to market a boring loser team that's rebuilding every 3-5 years. Didn't I already say this?

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Well, there is reason to do otherwise. Las Vegas will have a few days window to sign unprotected UFA's before the actual UFA period, and who knows what they might throw at players to get a marquee name. Could be anything.

It's also dangerous to let a player get that close to FA status. You then can have bidding wars develop. You may keep the player, but at a higher cost. Which this year, the Caps cannot afford.

So if they want to keep Oshie, it absolutely makes sense to do it now. As soon as possible. Not after the expansion draft. Unless they have a "wink wink" from TJ and his agent, and it's "done but not done", then it's foolish to wait.

Maybe I misunderstood how the rules are set up. I'm was understanding there will be some time between the expansion draft and the start of the ufa period where teams can still talk to their own ufa's. If Oshie is intent on going to the market then it doesn't matter. If he wants to stay then he'll sign anyway.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe I misunderstood how the rules are set up. I'm was understanding there will be some time between the expansion draft and the start of the ufa period where teams can still talk to their own ufa's. If Oshie is intent on going to the market then it doesn't matter. If he wants to stay then he'll sign anyway.

http://sinbin.vegas/curious-role-ufas-expansion-draft/

That's one piece, above.

If Oshie want to resign with us...but we wait until this late in the game? He may say "screw it, let's see what the market thinks I'm worth". Which means 5-6m a year may be 6-7m a year.

Is that worth Tom Wilson? And the added cost we won't have to give? Heck, Wilson may not even get chosen even if available....versus Schmidt or Grubauer. So why risk Oshie for what may be an unnecessary gamble?

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You talked yourself in a circle, tex. You said Eller is "win now" and I said McPhee and Vegas will be in win-now mode right out of the gate. That town is not going to market a boring loser team that's rebuilding every 3-5 years. Didn't I already say this?

I asked a straight question. Is Lars Eller a splashy shiny get? The average hockey fan has never heard of him. Not that he is a bad player. And sure. I you think he wants to win now, Eller is a better choice than Schmidt. Shiny, splashy is famous, big name imo.

We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad