Post-Game Talk: DC Capitals @ Peg Jets: Real Slim Ovi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Haven't beaten a team with a current winning record (NYI, COL, FLA, VAN, CGY, WPG)
Lost to the only teams they played that are currently above .500 (PIT, NYR, EDM)

So they're juicing their stats against struggling teams and coming up short against the class of the league.
What a suprise. As if we won the PT last year by beating up bad teams and losing to anyone decent.

Regarding Orlov vs Schmidt, in the long term Orlov will improve his 1 on 1/2 on 1 defense, while Schmidt will continue to get exposed as just not strong enough. When we don't have the last chance, the teams will just target the defenseman who can't contain their strongest forwards.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What a suprise. As if we won the PT last year by beating up bad teams and losing to anyone decent.

Actually we did start out pretty much the same way last year and it was discussed here. We beat the teams we were supposed to beat and managed to pick off a few better teams but frequently got beaten (sometimes badly like vs SJ).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I was relatively tepid in my analysis last year during the hot start because their losses were coming against the good teams they faced. We'll see how the rest of this year goes.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If we beat Winnipeg again at home we will have the 2nd best record in the league with our only regulation losses to Pitt and a very hot Oilers team. While they have definitely shown areas that can be worked on, its hard to complain too much IMO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I hope they get blanked in the regular season by Rangers and Penguins. Maybe that gives them more motivation to make changes before it is way too late.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Ok let's cherrypick stats

14th in the NHL in goals for average
Haven't beaten a team with a current winning record (NYI, COL, FLA, VAN, CGY, WPG)
Lost to the only teams they played that are currently above .500 (PIT, NYR, EDM)

So they're juicing their stats against struggling teams and coming up short against the class of the league.

DOOM.

I was cherry picking stats for a cherry picked problem. That goals for ranking will go up, tons of teams with unsustainable scoring numbers right now. Two of those teams we beat will be playoff teams this year, and we dominated Pit and Nyr save for one period. That's a problem, but it's an easier fix than something more fundamental.

And again, WE'RE NINE GAMES IN.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I was cherry picking stats for a cherry picked problem. That goals for ranking will go up, tons of teams with unsustainable scoring numbers right now. Two of those teams we beat will be playoff teams this year, and we dominated Pit and Nyr save for one period. That's a problem, but it's an easier fix than something more fundamental.

And again, WE'RE NINE GAMES IN.

And we've seen it before, however many games in. Hell, we saw the exact same thing last year. And now we're seeing 2 goal leads blown as well as sloppy mid-game play followed by a flurry at the end. Same old story. I'm not going to delude myself into thinking this group of guys has learned their lesson after years of bad habits just because we have a few wins against bad teams in October.

They need to PROVE IT.

Jun 15, 2007
To have a sports curse you need to have been previously successful. The Caps are just run of the mill incompetent.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
In another 66 years? :(

We're not even the worst in the NHL, the Blues and the Leafs have been waiting for 50 years now. Maybe our curse will end in 66 years when we draft Alexander Ovechkin IV with the first overall pick of the 2080 draft :dunno:

To have a sports curse you need to have been previously successful. The Caps are just run of the mill incompetent.

I never thought of it like that. That's harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad