Post-Game Talk: DC Capitals @ Peg Jets: Real Slim Ovi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
3 games in 4 nights on a Western road trip. Just happy they got 2 points. They obviously were out of gas late in the period. Can't blame them too much for that.

Oh, I'm pleased. Don't get me wrong. I expected them to be dead at the end of the trip and some nights you need your goalie to steal you the game. It just wasn't the easiest game to watch.

Worried about Williams. And was hoping for more from Eller.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Scheifle acting like a *****.

Caps celebrating the win with time still left on the clock makes for cranky Jets.

Anyway....how many more of these games do we have to live thru before we can watch them choke in the playoffs again. Sooner or later Johansson is going to quit scoring and then there will be nothing to watch. Just Ov scoring and Holtby not letting them score. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Caps celebrating the win with time still left on the clock makes for cranky Jets.

Anyway....how many more of these games do we have to live thru before we can watch them choke in the playoffs again. Sooner or later Johansson is going to quit scoring and then there will be nothing to watch. Just Ov scoring and Holtby not letting them score. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

it was sad to watch that the caps didn't match the jets intensity (hi bad playoffs memories) and got extremely lucky. i rather want them be unlucky now and work through it than again failed in the spring time.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
No team was going to withstand the unearthly fury of the unstoppable goal scoring juggernaut, Joe Hanson.
8475149.jpg

I guess we played like trash again, good job at least winning.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
No team was going to withstand the unearthly fury of the unstoppable goal scoring juggernaut, Joe Hanson.
8475149.jpg

I guess we played like trash again, good job at least winning.

Again? We haven't played like trash all season. Even the games we lost, we were probably the better team in all of them.

The fact of the matter is that this team is dead tired. Three games in four nights is tough. Three games in four nights in three different time zones is even tougher. The fact that they won all three of those games should mean something to all of us.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We were great all night, the shot counts do not accurately describe the game. Lots of outside, low scoring chance shots from Peg because we kept them to the outside.

The first goal against Holtby wasn't terrible, probably would have like to have it back. The second one he made a terrible poke check attempt and it cost us a goal. Meh efforts by Carlson and Orpik also noted but Holtby can't go for that poke check and get smoked like that...lol

Awesome way for the boys to respond and still pull out the win with 30 seconds left after giving up a 2-0 lead.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

It's not that we win, it's how we win.

Last year was the latest proof that the way we win games was unsustainable.... basically coast, hope for PPGs through 2, and then try just hard enough in 3. We are the kings of winning games without fully trying.

It appears to me that our offense is very similar to last year, we have just subtracted the hitting. Of course, Trotz missed most of camp as did most of our top players. Which I actually speculated may have been a good thing, to get players exposed to a new vision, and try to modernize our offense. Only most of the top players weren't there, so here we are.

When we can pass crisp on the tape at speed consistently, from breakout through a scoring chance, then some of us will stop finding faults in otherwise glorious regular season victories, and MJ scoring binges.

Post of the month candidate: the unearthly fury of the unstoppable goal scoring juggernaut, Joe Hanson.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Beagle :bow:
Joe Hanson :bow:

43 saves for Holtby :bow:

play a meh game since the beginning of the season, but still 4th in the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last year was the latest proof that the way we win games was unsustainable.... basically coast, hope for PPGs through 2, and then try just hard enough in 3. We are the kings of winning games without fully trying. .[/I]

I watched the game last night. I didn't see coasting and waiting on a couple of ppg's.
I saw a team win three straight games on a west coast swing.

Oh and winning in the playoffs, not how they are playing is the important thing in the end.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
One game where they still maintained structure but looked tired is fine, especially since it was the end of the western Canada road trip.

If it becomes a pattern I will be worried.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I watched the game last night. I didn't see coasting and waiting on a couple of ppg's.
I saw a team win three straight games on a west coast swing.

Oh and winning in the playoffs, not how they are playing is the important thing in the end.

I only watched half the game. We did just barely enough to win, and we were lucky that we won with 4 potting a goal at the end.

The only hit I saw was when Nick shouldered someone down unexpected. Joe B and Locker made it sound like a monster hit. He barely hit the guy, he was just not expecting it. I didn't see any blocked shots, Holts was eating the pucks.

Coasting means not giving their all, which always used to include hitting. The game is changing rapidly to - if you don't see someone loafing on a backcheck, it was a full effort.

Recent cup winners have set the bar on winning in the playoffs. I don't see us in any of those teams. Maybe Boston? We are far too easy to play against.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Easy to play against? How could they be not with so much finesse euros?

Also. I was a big time Hanson fan before it became mainstream :P lol

Who have been laughing off Johansson as future Zetta-lite?!

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
After playing these up-and-coming young teams like Oilers and Jets, it's scary how they have improved from last season and their improvement came mostly because their young guns have got experience. This season is truly our last season to jump to the last car of the leaving train. If we don't win this season, then we won't win for long time for sure as the NHL is evolving and we don't have enough horses to survive in the new NHL. My two cents.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
After playing these up-and-coming young teams like Oilers and Jets, it's scary how they have improved from last season and their improvement came mostly because their young guns have got experience. This season is truly our last season to jump to the last car of the leaving train. If we don't win this season, then we won't win for long time for sure as the NHL is evolving and we don't have enough horses to survive in the new NHL. My two cents.

Yep, we will be relegated to the mediocre class of the NHL sooner or later, until we draft another superstar. Unfortunately, even with a player as great as Ovechkin we have been unable to win. We're never going to get a player better than Ovi. If we lose again, we will have completely wasted the prime of a generational player.

No pressure :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Regardless of it being a 3-in-4 game, the consistent theme so far this season in their losses and when outplayed is them having trouble with speed. Again. They ought to know that this is their fundamental obstacle so we'll see what (if anything) they come up with the rest of the way to counter it. My guess is it's just keeping it very, very simple but it still comes down to decision-making and being better in the neutral zone. That can't ultimately be masked by a pure paint-by-numbers approach. They need more pace themselves and so far they appear to be the same structure-based, grind-it-out team. It's good to have a strength I guess but when Trotz said they can win every way a team wants to play I still don't really like their chances against speed. They can win the way they play but it's less likely than it could be with smarter execution.

I thought it was a bit curious that Schmidt was on the ice 4-on-4 for the first goal against. Sure, he can skate but to me he's still the weak link on the defense (rather than Orlov, who can at least hold his own physically).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought it was a bit curious that Schmidt was on the ice 4-on-4 for the first goal against. Sure, he can skate but to me he's still the weak link on the defense (rather than Orlov, who can at least hold his own physically).

Pretty clear that he is giving young players more minutes and more responsibilities early in the season. That said, Schmidt played a lot of 4 on 4 last season. Last night was nothing new

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It was less that he was playing 4-on-4 than him being out there in that game situation. Like I said, he skates fine and manages the puck better than Orlov typically but when it comes to actually defending he's their weakest option. He's easily their least physical defenseman in a group that otherwise can more than hold their own.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
TOI is distributed throughout the lineup more evenly now. They are letting everyone play while trying some things too.

Some guys are clearly more in game shape now and some (Eller and Williams in particular) are still not (those didn't have World Cup preparation btw).

Ovis looking heavy but its nothing new imho. Lets be reality. He's old already. Nice that he's working on redirections and his board game. Will need that.

Also, hard to expect him going 100% physically now when he needs to peak at May. 7 months from now ffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There will always be excuses. 3 in 4. Early season rust/fitness. Mid-season doldrums. Late season fatigue. etc etc

Winning teams don't have excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad