Speculation: David Savard to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I’d be so gun shy about giving up a 1st round pick, or anything else of value, when in the past none of that helped them. Why would Savard suddenly put them over the top and make them go on a run? Too risky giving up valuable assets right now.
Savard is needed to mentor the young players. Habs players were already complaining about the departure of Monahan . They are not going to do it again with Savard. Comeback same time next year.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Savard is needed to mentor the young players. Habs players were already complaining about the departure of Monahan . They are not going to do it again with Savard. Comeback same time next year.
Agreed. Zero incentive to trade Savard with one more year on his contract. If we trade him, it is under our terms and not a desperation move to salvage a return on him. If Leafs want him, it'll cost them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

That’s fine, keep him then. I don’t want assets going out the door, to only lose in the 1st or 2nd round again.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Funny how MTL and TOR fans are reluctant to trade with another. Both franchises haven t won a cup in 30+ years …

(I am a MTL fan and I would trade Savard to TOR in a hardbeat for the right deal as I would to any other franchise)

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It would be a VERY Leafs move to trade a 1st for a declining 33 year old who was a bottom pairing dman on a Cup winning team at age ~30, and expect him to be a top pairing guy at his age to make us contenders now

Reactions: TMLegend

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Funny how MTL and TOR fans are reluctant to trade with another. Both franchises haven t won a cup in 30+ years …

(I am a MTL fan and I would trade Savard to TOR in a hardbeat for the right deal as I would to any other franchise)
Doesn't have anything to do with that. I just don't think Savard is very good.

If we're burning a first round pick send it to Calgary for Hanifin and get a legitimate defensemen, even if it's only a rental.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Kovacevic, Harris and Evans potentially but Savard definitely makes the most sense.

Honestly why not Kovacevic? Probably cheaper. More expandable from Montreal's pov and he's BIG

Right after the Rempe hit on Lyubushkin, they might want some extra depth.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I’d be so gun shy about giving up a 1st round pick, or anything else of value, when in the past none of that helped them. Why would Savard suddenly put them over the top and make them go on a run? Too risky giving up valuable assets right now.
I'd agree. It's time for the Leafs org to look at these big crontact guys dead in the eye and tell them to perform to their contract when it counts. If they don't lead the Leafs then none of these peripheral players mean a damn thing.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Honestly why not Kovacevic? Probably cheaper. More expandable from Montreal's pov and he's BIG

Right after the Rempe hit on Lyubushkin, they might want some extra depth.
A little bit big for nothing tbh. Definitely cheaper and literally dirt cheap in terms of salary but I already felt like Toronto aimed too low with Lyubushkin, it would be kind of a joke if they made another trade and it was just a 3rd pairing D. Ideally you'd want Savard as a #5 but he's capable of playing in the top 4 and this season he's genuinely playing his best hockey in years

Personally I just don't think Kovacevic will return enough to make him worth dealing, I think he has a spot on the team next year and I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him again for cheap, unless a team wants to fork up a 2nd rounder or better I'd rather hang onto him

If we're burning a first round pick send it to Calgary for Hanifin and get a legitimate defensemen, even if it's only a rental.
You're happy including at least one of Minten or Cowan for that rental as well? Because it certainly doesn't stop with a 1st for Hanifin

Reactions: CDN24

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Leafs have 144k in space right now......................no matter who they want to add, it's going to be tight.
Not sure any Dman moves the needle enough to get out of the 1st round.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
It would be a VERY Leafs move to trade a 1st for a declining 33 year old who was a bottom pairing dman on a Cup winning team at age ~30, and expect him to be a top pairing guy at his age to make us contenders now
Not to pile on here, but that 1st rounder would also likely end up being an NHL player with 1.5 ppg against the Leafs for the rest of their career.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal

lol such a terrible post

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I'm fine with Savard the player but not at the cost of a 1st rd pick

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly this, could see our 1st for savard. Wouldn’t love it , is he still a top 4 guy?

He's looked solid on the the 2nd pairing, I'd say he's more of a 4/5 than a 3/4. But he eats pucks and is good on the PK, isn't scared to get physical, is big, and shoots right.

He's what the leafs need interms of style but I think they need someone who is more of a 2/3 than a 4/5.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Leafs have 144k in space right now......................no matter who they want to add, it's going to be tight.
Not sure any Dman moves the needle enough to get out of the 1st round.
They have more. Klingberg is on LTIR. I think Savard would be a great fit for them personnally.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
They have more. Klingberg is on LTIR. I think Savard would be a great fit for them personnally.
He would but if I was the Habs I would just keep him. Plus, rarely do they ever made trades with the leafs. As a leaf fan yes he good defensively but it's up to Montreal which why would they help the leafs out?

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
He would but if I was the Habs I would just keep him. Plus, rarely do they ever made trades with the leafs. As a leaf fan yes he good defensively but it's up to Montreal which why would they help the leafs out?
1st rounder

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

As a Habs fan I don‘t care about helping the Leafs, I care about helping the Habs ;) if the offer is enticing enough for the Habs it helps the Leafs now, the Habs later, it s a win-win.

If the Leafs get Savard for two playoffs run for a 1st and a 3rd it is a great deal. That 1st is not going to help them in the next 3/4years anyway. Now they can think that Savard is not enough to help them win and that is fully fair.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
A little bit big for nothing tbh. Definitely cheaper and literally dirt cheap in terms of salary but I already felt like Toronto aimed too low with Lyubushkin, it would be kind of a joke if they made another trade and it was just a 3rd pairing D. Ideally you'd want Savard as a #5 but he's capable of playing in the top 4 and this season he's genuinely playing his best hockey in years

Personally I just don't think Kovacevic will return enough to make him worth dealing, I think he has a spot on the team next year and I wouldn't be opposed to resigning him again for cheap, unless a team wants to fork up a 2nd rounder or better I'd rather hang onto him

You're happy including at least one of Minten or Cowan for that rental as well? Because it certainly doesn't stop with a 1st for Hanifin

Yeah its a small add, depends what the Leafs want from their rentals. Id be curious to see the actual numbers, but pretty sure that nice complimentary pieces help more in the playoffs than big pieces who might disrupt team balance/chemistry on the ice.

Not only that, but Kovacevic being dirt cheap salary wise would enable toronto to add potentially more.

But I get it, they dont have a big name D beside Rielly. Goaltending is spotty. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad