Speculation: David Savard to Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure if I would like to trade Savard to the Leafs.. that might just put them over the top, I'd rather see them fail again 🤣
With their goaltending it will not put them over the top.

I highly doubt it was David Savard.

Much more likely it was Jordan Harris or Jonathan Kovacevic.

If the offer is the Leafs 1st round pick for Savard, I would pass. If the offer required retention as well, that would be a really lousy offer. And I have less than zero interest in Nick Robertson, so I don't see what the Leafs could add that would make it enticing.

Retaining for two years on a defensemen that is valuable to the Canadiens, and all they get is a late 1st round pick?

Not interested.
Can't see Harris being of any interest. Kovacevic could be if they are going to cheap out.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
If they get offered a 1st for Savard at 50% they'll take it

Hughes has said he didn't want to trade him so unless they give him a 1st straight up he ain't coughing him up. In addition if they want retention that'll cost extra.

I am talking about a potential David Savard to the leafs trade.
A trade that seems to be supported by both fan bases.

Actually a lot of us Habs fans would rather keep Savard 'til Trade Deadline next year. We got a lot of young kids that need mentoring and we have too few RD.

...it is believed the Habs are willing to retain 50% on Savard's contract for a better deal).

Who says so? No way does Hughes do that unless there's a big extra. He'd be our last retention spot and would be a spot for 2 years. We'd be unable to retain on Pearson/Allen/Harris/...

Much more likely it was Jordan Harris or Jonathan Kovacevic.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on to trade Kovacevic. He's the perfect bottom pair RD. He's young'ish, cheap, big and fairly physical. I mean, we've got Guhle playing on the Right side because of a lack of RD. I personally would still want Mailloux to start in Laval next season, will Barron be ready next season? and Reinbacher definitely needs some seasoning in the AHL as well.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Hughes has said he didn't want to trade him so unless they give him a 1st straight up he ain't coughing him up. In addition if they want retention that'll cost extra.

Actually a lot of us Habs fans would rather keep Savard 'til Trade Deadline next year. We got a lot of young kids that need mentoring and we have too few RD.

Who says so? No way does Hughes do that unless there's a big extra. He'd be our last retention spot and would be a spot for 2 years. We'd be unable to retain on Pearson/Allen/Harris/...

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on to trade Kovacevic. He's the perfect bottom pair RD. He's young'ish, cheap, big and fairly physical. I mean, we've got Guhle playing on the Right side because of a lack of RD. I personally would still want Mailloux to start in Laval next season, will Barron be ready next season? and Reinbacher definitely needs some seasoning in the AHL as well.
I think a 1st rounder pretty much means all other considerations go out the window. Why retain on Pearson to get a 4th or Allen to get a 3d when a 1st rounder is available ? But absent that, I'm good with keeping Savard as a mentor for the kids.

Agreed on Kovasevic. Unless a team is paying a premium for an extra season at ELC-type salary, he needs to be kept.

Reactions: CDN24

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not sure if I would like to trade Savard to the Leafs.. that might just put them over the top, I'd rather see them fail again 🤣
Habs keep winning might in their best interest to trade Savard for first. Going to ruin their draft position. Need weaken team.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Anybody see his goal last night, anybody that can beat Saros cleanly (okay somewhat cleanly) from centre ice has to be worth a ton. I think that has to be the luckiest or unluckiest (depending on your sweater color) bounce off the glass I have ever seen.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Anybody see his goal last night, anybody that can beat Saros cleanly (okay somewhat cleanly) from centre ice has to be worth a ton. I think that has to be the luckiest or unluckiest (depending on your sweater color) bounce off the glass I have ever seen.
Beauty snipe.

Reactions: CDN24

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy, but as a Leaf fan, considerign the market, if you can't pry Larsson or Borgen out of Seattle, and the Blues aren't interested in moving Parayko; then David Savard wouldn't be the worst option.

Get him at 50% retention for next year. Do something like Toronto's 1st this year, a prospect of lesser excitement, for Savard at 50% and maybe a 2nd rounder in 2025.

That being said, it would also give me a lot of pause, given that I get the sense he'd much rather stay in Montreal.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Call me crazy, but as a Leaf fan, considerign the market, if you can't pry Larsson or Borgen out of Seattle, and the Blues aren't interested in moving Parayko; then David Savard wouldn't be the worst option.

Get him at 50% retention for next year. Do something like Toronto's 1st this year, a prospect of lesser excitement, for Savard at 50% and maybe a 2nd rounder in 2025.

That being said, it would also give me a lot of pause, given that I get the sense he'd much rather stay in Montreal.
easy pass ur late first 1st and our high 2nd wont be that far apart and we're retaining for 2 years

we can easily get a better offer for Savard and if not we're better off keeping him for our youngsters and he wants to stay

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
To a division rival... im not sure, unless its a bigger haul... :D
The Habs and Leafs are division rivals in history only. Each team has very different goals over the next 1.5 seasons. I don't think Savard on the Leafs impacts the Habs goals as a team in the least. If the Leafs have the best offer the Habs take it.
In fact taking a 1st away from the Leafs and adding it to the Habs is probably better for the Habs goals by hopefully getting a player 3 years from now when the Habs might be a competitive team and making the Leafs a little weaker.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The ass gm has been following them around. It's been mentioned by Friedman on 32 thoughts that Treiliving as inquired about Savard, along with any d that might be available and then some

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Would be interesting if there was a trade since Habs would be facing Savard the next day. Leafs and Habs play Saturday :laugh:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
easy pass ur late first 1st and our high 2nd wont be that far apart and we're retaining for 2 years

we can easily get a better offer for Savard and if not we're better off keeping him for our youngsters and he wants to stay
The 2nd will probably be a mid 2nd and it could be Pittsburgh's or the worst of the 2 2nds.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The Habs and Leafs are division rivals in history only. Each team has very different goals over the next 1.5 seasons. I don't think Savard on the Leafs impacts the Habs goals as a team in the least. If the Leafs have the best offer the Habs take it.
In fact taking a 1st away from the Leafs and adding it to the Habs is probably better for the Habs goals by hopefully getting a player 3 years from now when the Habs might be a competitive team and making the Leafs a little weaker.
Exactly. Savard is valuable to the Habs as a mentor and because he wants to stay with them. But if the Leafs made an offer too good to pass up it makes sense to move him there.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
If I were the Leafs, I'd be more worried that Brad is talking to MTL about Anderson. He's always been a big fan of his from what I've read over the years.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't see Savard being traded to be honest, we need veterans back for next season. He is a leader and loved in the room from what we hear, so the only way he goes is for a massive overpayment which every fan base doesn't want to do! So close this!

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
They get Savard for 2 runs hypothetically. Plus I think calgary strung Toronto along with no intention of dealing with them. I could see these reasons being why it could happen
Exactly this, could see our 1st for savard. Wouldn’t love it , is he still a top 4 guy?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’d be so gun shy about giving up a 1st round pick, or anything else of value, when in the past none of that helped them. Why would Savard suddenly put them over the top and make them go on a run? Too risky giving up valuable assets right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad