Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Don D

Oct 15, 2017
He could become significantly better than Markov but too early to say. Greater ceiling, similar floor.
"Better than the General"? Wow!!

I hope not. Give him time unless we feel his play is ahead of Mailloux.

whooo. I did not see many Dmen coming in the NHL with floor similar to Markov. He was one of the most under estimated Dmen in Habs history IMHO.
Good comments!

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The right side is weak. Add to this fact that many signs point to 2025-2026 being the start of the playoff contention period, they will not wait the start of that season to introduce 64 to the NHL. He will start in Laval and join the big club somewhere in the last quarter on next season.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He needs to be on Laval's powerplay unit sooner than later. He's better than Barron and Mailloux already.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw it in the preseason. I know it's preseason, but the puck poise he had was extremely noticeable. He's a cornerstone piece.

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Mailloux - though that may be too much riverboat gambler in one pairing
Xhekaj-Harris
Struble

Bottom three are interchangeable and Struble may very well work his way upward. While it's unlikely they all stick around together, it's a level of youthful and impactful depth we haven't had at the position since the days of Desjardins, Schneider, Brisebois, Haller, Odelein, etc.

Will be interesting to see who takes the quarterback position from Matheson over the next 2 seasons. When Matheson's contract is up and he is age 32, Hutson will be 22.

Knowing what I know today, I'd pair Hutson with Reinbacher.... when they are both fully developed and can be trusted in a top 4D role.

Add Engstrom to your list.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
"Better than the General"? Wow!!

Good comments!
It's possible Rein or Ghule become overall better than Marky. Marky was good but he wasn't 100% in my book. Neidermeyer was a better D in my book. Sydor in his best years and Doughty are ahead of Marky. People here tends to overhype Mayky "the General".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's possible Rein or Ghule become overall better than Marky. Marky was good but he wasn't 100% in my book. Neidermeyer was a better D in my book. Sydor in his best years and Doughty are ahead of Marky. People here tends to overhype Mayky "the General".

I don't think most Habs fans would have rated Markov ahead of Niedermeyer or Doughty. However, Markov was our best D man for a few decades now (Argument with Subban and Weber).

Can Reinbacher or Guhle become better? Hard to say today

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That has always been so off to me. Why would people attack his family instead of the Habs management? I hope it's nobody from around here. I've never seen this around here cause really it makes no sense. Some of us were mainly pissed at the Habs, not at the kid or his family. He was my third pick. I had Bedard, Michnicov and then Reinbacher.
It's so bad it should remain buried and never again see the light of day anywhere including HFHabs.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I don't think most Habs fans would have rated Markov ahead of Niedermeyer or Doughty. However, Markov was our best D man for a few decades now. Can Reinbacher or Guhle become better? Hard to say today
Hard to say. We are in a forum where many people try to find comparatives, etc.
To compare eras, Mtl is actually building a strong defense squad similar to the big 3 era (they are trying hard) or let's say the mid 80's when we had Chelios, aging Robinson, Ludwig, Green and Lalor. At the time, with the help of Smith, Naslund, Lemieux, Richer, Corson, Gainey, Mcphee, Carbo and of course Roy (St-Pat, lol), it helped to win that '86 Cup no one saw coming.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard to say. We are in a forum where many people try to find comparatives, etc.
To compare eras, Mtl is actually building a strong defense squad similar to the big 3 era (they are trying hard) or let's say the mid 80's when we had Chelios, aging Robinson, Ludwig, Green and Lalor. At the time, with the help of Smith, Naslund, Lemieux, Richer, Corson, Gainey, Mcphee, Carbo and of course Roy (St-Pat, lol), it helped to win that '86 Cup no one saw coming.

I like the Dobson comparable. Fresh in our minds and I do think they play similar styles.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wonder how much time he will take to developp a slap-shot ala Weber. One year?
The slapshot on the power play is overrated and very few teams use it as a principle weapon anymore.
I'm not saying it's not great to have that in your arsenal but I'm just as good and maybe prefer a heavy wrist shot or snap shot with traffic in front.
The ability to see open players move the puck quickly and accurately (both ways) with deception has far more value IMO.
Actually I hated our PP when the main focus was getting Weber set up for his one timer.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
That has always been so off to me. Why would people attack his family instead of the Habs management? I hope it's nobody from around here. I've never seen this around here cause really it makes no sense. Some of us were mainly pissed at the Habs, not at the kid or his family. He was my third pick. I had Bedard, Michnicov and then Reinbacher.
Every mentally unstable weirdo has access to the internet. Stay off twitter folk, it’s a cesspool of whatever floats in porta-potties.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The right side is weak. Add to this fact that many signs point to 2025-2026 being the start of the playoff contention period, they will not wait the start of that season to introduce 64 to the NHL. He will start in Laval and join the big club somewhere in the last quarter on next season.
I'm a huge advocate for getting the key parts parts on our Main Team as soon as they are ready and can be accommodated.
I'm pretty sure I've said it more than once we are in a rebuild we need to start rebuilding.
The toughest job Kent Hughes faces now is knowing where to blow holes to make it happen.
For me the returns are negligible I put more value in getting as close to competitive as possible.
Next season is the last season we can give players a free pass we need to take advantage of that.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

The people who go through this type of behavior are usually the ones who see YouTube clips of one prospect and get emotionally attached to them, ignore other prospects and freak out if the guy they like isn't picked.

We have lots of great posters in the draft thread who watch a lot of the prospects play, I don't have enough time to watch the prospects play so I always find that thread valuable to learn about prospects. I'll admit I was hoping for Michkov last year but reading poster's reports on guys like Reinbacher/Leonard etc prior to last year's draft put me at ease that we'd still get a very good prospect if we didn't take Michkov.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Deux dépisteurs professionnels de la LNH que nous avons consultés au sujet du jeu de Reinbacher ont été extrêmement impressionnés par sa capacité à déplacer la rondelle et à prendre des décisions rapides. – Arpon Basu

Reactions: Goldenhands

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Markov was ahead of sydor. Being behind doughty and neidermayer is no slight. Those guys are or will be hall of famers.

Markov was very good though and if any of these dmen are of the caliber of Markov, we should consider ourselves lucky because we will have a true #1 dman.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
That's a possibility but it would most certainly require trades. Habs defensemen are all under contract for next season as well and Habs are not gonna risk losing Barron on waivers before giving him an extended look. So without trades or injuries on the Habs back end, Reinbacher is gonna start the season in Laval pretty much no matter his progress over the summer. That's just the reality. Habs are probably gonna try to move at least one defenseman but it takes two to tango and it might even take more than one trade to open a slot for Reinbacher.
I expect Kovacevic and Harris trade in the offseason, but maybe I am wrong. Reinbacher might have the same NHL route as Simon Nemec. Devils send him in his D+2 season to AHL, but once Hamiltom got injured, they called him up and since then he is just too good to not play in NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I expect Kovacevic and Harris trade in the offseason, but maybe I am wrong. Reinbacher might have the same NHL route as Simon Nemec. Devils send him in his D+2 season to AHL, but once Hamiltom got injured, they called him up and since then he is just too good to not play in NHL.

I expect them to make trades as well but I'm not sure they're willing to go out of their way to clear spots for waiver eligible guys just for the sake of it. If they wanna get appropriate returns in deals then Reinbacher and especially Mailloux might have to wait for their chance with the big club. Which doesn't even necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I expect them to make trades as well but I'm not sure they're willing to go out of their way to clear spots for waiver eligible guys just for the sake of it. If they wanna get appropriate returns in deals then Reinbacher and especially Mailloux might have to wait for their chance with the big club. Which doesn't even necessarily have to be a bad thing.
Agree, they will not push hard to trade away guys. I just believe that trade value of both Kovacevic and Harris will be at peak this summer. Their cheap contracts are just too valuable and teams will appreciate some cheap reliable D to fit their salary structure.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agree, they will not push hard to trade away guys. I just believe that trade value of both Kovacevic and Harris will be at peak this summer. Their cheap contracts are just too valuable and teams will appreciate some cheap reliable D to fit their salary structure.

Agreed. Might as well be deadline deals though. A good season and more of a track record, more experience could increase their value.

Everything is possible. If the Habs go out of their way and force a deal I feel like it may be happening at the draft. If there's a prospect available they feel like would be great value at that particular point the Habs may be tempted to sacrifice a defenseman they wouldn't otherwise move at this point in order to make a pick they're comfortable with. Apart from the draft I feel like it will depend on the offers available if and when the Habs are gonna trade away defensemen. They're gonna try to maximize returns. May depend on Barron's play as well since he's most certainly gonna get a chance out of camp.

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Markov never looked like the primary star, but everything went downhill when he wasn't there. He made everyone on his team better, he really was the general on the ice. His actual skills were very good, but he tended to think the game well enough that he didn't need to do much out of the ordinary. Every now and then he'd make an impressive move, or wire a shot when the time was right, and he could have done it more often, but he almost always chose the correct low risk play.

It's really hard to evaluate his ceiling because he was so very effective without having to push or take chances. I'm not sure he was top 5 or even top 10 in the league depending on how you categorize, but he was the one of the best #2 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad