Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
I can't be the only one seeing players get behind him every game?
He has the tools to become the best Dman in Laval and he does show flashes of it but I don't think he is there yet.
Seen that as well. Definitely not the best Dman on the team yet but I can see why he was so coveted at the draft, great skater, Physical, extremely competitive with a bomb of a shot and an excellent first pass. Some positioning mistakes as you have mentioned though. A full year in the AHL will definitely serve him well unless he comes into camp and smokes the competition to make it for opening night.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can't be the only one seeing players get behind him every game?
He has the tools to become the best Dman in Laval and he does show flashes of it but I don't think he is there yet.

Yeah that's been more of a result of positioning. It's not like they are blowing by him or whatever. He's just positioned too high in the neutral zone sometimes. That's probably a big ice adjustment

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
His American rinks adaptation could get worse before it get better.

Overthinking it and whatnot. Schedule is also crazy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Redux91

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Yeah, the likeness to the Brisbois seems apt. He may have 'earned' it but he got waaaaay more hate than he should have. Montreal literally had no one else so they threw him to the wolves and he, for the "most" part, soldiered on. Just like Brisbois, I hold no hate, nor animosity towards Matheson. Actually, that goes for D. Desharnai as well. Given roles they didn't have the skills for because there were no others for the jobs (or in DD's case, because management was dumb as bricks). Your modern-day sacrificial offerings...
I feel Matheson is our new Petry. Guy that can skate and has good offensive instincts, not great in his own end and is asked to play too high in the lineup. That said, I prefer Matheson. There’s an excitement that picks up when he gets going

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah that's been more of a result of positioning. It's not like they are blowing by him or whatever. He's just positioned too high in the neutral zone sometimes. That's probably a big ice adjustment
That happened to him quite a few times in the Swiss League though. More so in his rough patches though.

I think you’re right about it being a positioning thing though

Reactions: montreal and Rapala

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I am not sure, he will be sent to Laval next season. I bet he will be just too good in the training camp and they will keep him with the Habs. He is just way smarter than any other RHD except Savard.

• Wow
Reactions: Don D

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Definitely a thing where I started to question his D but I feel like WTK hit it with his positioning. I’m sure he’ll figure out when to be aggressive and what not to be
Agreed.
He's trying to play to his strengths all the time which can end up biting you.
However he would have never scored that beauty if he was reticent or timid.
Just like knowing when to jump knowing when to use that power gap control move is critical.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am not sure, he will be sent to Laval next season. I bet he will be just too good in the training camp and they will keep him with the Habs. He is just way smarter than any other RHD except Savard.

That's a possibility but it would most certainly require trades. Habs defensemen are all under contract for next season as well and Habs are not gonna risk losing Barron on waivers before giving him an extended look. So without trades or injuries on the Habs back end, Reinbacher is gonna start the season in Laval pretty much no matter his progress over the summer. That's just the reality. Habs are probably gonna try to move at least one defenseman but it takes two to tango and it might even take more than one trade to open a slot for Reinbacher.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I feel Matheson is our new Petry. Guy that can skate and has good offensive instincts, not great in his own end and is asked to play too high in the lineup. That said, I prefer Matheson. There’s an excitement that picks up when he gets going
Yes, there is a high probability that the puck will end up in the net. We just don't know which net.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Yeah a spot at the right side next year will be battled between Barron, Reinbacher and Mailloux. Fully expect Reinbacher to take it
I hope not. Give him time unless we feel his play is ahead of Mailloux.

He could become significantly better than Markov but too early to say. Greater ceiling, similar floor.
whooo. I did not see many Dmen coming in the NHL with floor similar to Markov. He was one of the most under estimated Dmen in Habs history IMHO.

Reactions: Don D

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

whooo. I did not see many Dmen coming in the NHL with floor similar to Markov. He was one of the most under estimated Dmen in Habs history IMHO.
Physically he’ll probably be better than Markov. We’ll see how close he comes mentally.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I just have no doubt he'll be awesome defensively. It's just clear that the kid will have the skating, the smarts to handle himself defensively. And to be able to make great first passes....

For me...it's all about the offensive part of the game. I'd be stunned if he reaches Dobson's numbers. Maybe more McAvoy's offense? Or Hanifin?

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

I think it is likely he is ahead of Mailloux at this point. Seeing them both on the same ice is eye opening. Mailloux is impactful at the AHL level and will eventually be impactful at the NHL level, but he makes more mistakes than Reinbacher and handles the puck more, which doesn't translate as quickly on NHL ice. Reinbacher, you could slide into your NHL lineup today and he would do fine because he moved the puck quickly and plays a simple game.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I just have no doubt he'll be awesome defensively. It's just clear that the kid will have the skating, the smarts to handle himself defensively. And to be able to make great first passes....

For me...it's all about the offensive part of the game. I'd be stunned if he reaches Dobson's numbers. Maybe more McAvoy's offense? Or Hanifin?
His offensive upside is definitely an open ended question.

I thought it probably 30-40 points (depending on deployment) but with that goal he scored in his first game, you can’t help but wonder if there’s more

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hey - if he's a sound defensive player who is a big minute eater with hamrlik level offensive production (I mean the mid 30's hamrlik), I'll be perfectly happy.

Anything more is gravy.

Reactions: Zilo44

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Big fan of him so far in 6 AHL games. I understand now why Habs scouts are high on him. That's a really huge piece for the rebuild.

Complete and strong two-way D, his offensive is very good aswell.
I saw it in the preseason. I know it's preseason, but the puck poise he had was extremely noticeable. He's a cornerstone piece.

Guhle-Reinbacher
Hutson-Mailloux - though that may be too much riverboat gambler in one pairing
Xhekaj-Harris
Struble

Bottom three are interchangeable and Struble may very well work his way upward. While it's unlikely they all stick around together, it's a level of youthful and impactful depth we haven't had at the position since the days of Desjardins, Schneider, Brisebois, Haller, Odelein, etc.

Reactions: bopeep

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
They wont rush Reinbacher, they are going to play him in every situations in Laval, including PP, before he gets a long look with the Habs, nothing hurry anyway, Savard is still here for another season and they will likely try Mailloux at some point. Im expecting the kid to spend the next season in Laval with maybe some short callups here and there.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hope the idiots that sent this vile messages to him feel like absolute pos for doing it

Full interview

That has always been so off to me. Why would people attack his family instead of the Habs management? I hope it's nobody from around here. I've never seen this around here cause really it makes no sense. Some of us were mainly pissed at the Habs, not at the kid or his family. He was my third pick. I had Bedard, Michnicov and then Reinbacher.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad