TSN: David Legwand

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Very interesting...

Are you touting Alexander Radulov as a Nashville Predators success story?

And THIS was the type of response I had initially feared, and the very reason I post as little as I do.

It's clear that everybody else who responded to me didn't feel as though I was patronizing them, and clearly that wasn't my intention. But then, you read what you wanted to read.

If it did nothing else, I do hope that by expressing your righteous indignation, you felt at least a little bit of happiness.

Keep posting. I like what you have to say. It's good to get outside perspectives.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
If it did nothing else, I do hope that by expressing your righteous indignation, you felt at least a little bit of happiness.
Keep posting if you want I guess, but you are are trying to stir things up and make it personal with this kind of attitude.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN

There could be a bit of a 'big fish in a small pond' thing going on here as well. There's no other team in the NHL that Legwand could join and still be as appreciated as he is in Nashville.

Now, I'm not a fan of any team, so don't take the following as a biased dig on the hockey club... but you have to admit that playing an incredibly boring defensive brand of hockey & losing hockey, is a terrible combination to attract offensively talented hockey players. Boring hockey can be sold to a city and free agents as long as it wins (see New Jersey), but if it's not culminating in strong playoff showings... well, would you want to play in that type of system?

I have to wonder how Barry Trotz still has a job with the team. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but wouldn't it behoove the organization to give another coach, with a new (dare I say, exciting?) system a shot? You know, give the non-die-hards a reason to tune in for a change? I'm not saying they can't wait until the season is over, but it would be nice if something was done from the top on down before Filip Forsberg has lost the will to live.

Trotz gotten close to losing his job a few times and i have read or listened to an interview somewhere that he knew it was coming but something happened and he ended up turning it around and keeping his job. IMO the win at home against Chicago and the small winning streak this year after that win is why he is still here now. Well, that and the injury excuse that always comes into play with the Predators.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Trotz gotten close to losing his job a few times and i have read or listened to an interview somewhere that he knew it was coming but something happened and he ended up turning it around and keeping his job. IMO the win at home against Chicago and the small winning streak this year after that win is why he is still here now. Well, that and the injury excuse that always comes into play with the Predators.

Years ago Leipold was a game away from telling Poile to fire Trotz but then they beat the Red Wings I believe and Leipold decided to keep him.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think the team has a lot of the media in its hands. Most of the local MSM aren't knowledgeable enough to be critical, even if they wanted to. The team threatens to yank credentials for bloggers who post content too negative--essentially using the blogs as propaganda machines.

Poile and Trotz have been "pretty good" for the Predators, and have done a lot with a little at times. They've also done a little with a lot a few times. In most markets, I think there would have been a change a few times, but Trotz has a long leash with Poile, and Poile has a long leash with admittedly-not-hockey-savvy ownership.

Look at Willie and all the sportscasters in town. They never call out the staff or GM. I don't think I've ever heard any of them say that Trotz should be replaced. Really? Come on, it hasn't crossed any of their minds that he may be part of the problem? At some point someone needs to grow a pair and say this on air. Heck, if I had time during a talk show segment I'd call in and say it and then call them out when say, wait a minute Glenn, Trotz has done a fine job. Then I'd let them have it. Sometimes you have to stop being nice and polite around here, even if it is the "culture" but players have changed, the results or lack thereof haven't. Time to bring in a new team of people. I say let Fenton take over with Housley in charge behind the bench.

hoosierpred

Apr 4, 2008
I found this and thought it was interesting. What do you think?

McKenzie: "David Legwand of the Nashville Predators is not Thornton, but he is an effective member of the Predators and the first person ever taken by them in the entry draft many years ago. He's an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year and is looking for a new deal but there have been no negotiations thus far. He's a guy that wants to get locked up in Nashville but nothing's happened thus far."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438137

I think that if we let sentimentality dictate what contracts we hand out then we have big problems.

I would trade him right now, when his value is at it's highest. If no takers, i would make a relatively low offer for next year.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I think that if we let sentimentality dictate what contracts we hand out then we have big problems.

I would trade him right now, when his value is at it's highest. If no takers, i would make a relatively low offer for next year.

If you sign Leggy - and I personally am OK with that - you have to not sign Spaling this year and you have to be committed to letting Fish go next, IMHO.

We have to open some actual playing time for a couple kids and we need to shake-loose the cash from Cullen and one of the other contracts to sign a FA next year.

Not sure the fanbase can wait all the way until next year to see that happen, though, so there would be merit in not signing Leggy this year and starting to open up roster spots and dollars, at least from the fanbase perspective.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you sign Leggy - and I personally am OK with that - you have to not sign Spaling this year and you have to be committed to letting Fish go next, IMHO.

We have to open some actual playing time for a couple kids and we need to shake-loose the cash from Cullen and one of the other contracts to sign a FA next year.

Not sure the fanbase can wait all the way until next year to see that happen, though, so there would be merit in not signing Leggy this year and starting to open up roster spots and dollars, at least from the fanbase perspective.

Depends though. If we cut ties with Legwand, do we really anticipate being able to bring in a 40-50 point center at the same price point? Do we anticipate being able to bring in somebody better? Spaling can handle the bottom 6 duties, but underwhelming though his production may be to some, Legwand is still a guy that's going to boast 40+ points a season, which I'm not sure a player like Spaling can be counted on to replicate.

I generally agree with you in regards to clearing some roster space though. I'd like to see us ship Cullen before the start of next season, if possible.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Its not unanimous but there seems to be a consensus now that a bad finish this year probably means Trotz goes (meaning we Internet 'experts' think he goes). I am hoping for Armageddon Apocalypse and we clean it out top, middle and bottom. As such, if Leggy wants to come back for modest $$$, fine. But honestly, he's older and comfortable here and I'm not sure thats a good thing. Otherwise the doomsday Tsunami carries him along too (had enough end times metaphors?).

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
This is pretty hilarious. Last time Legwand had a spurt like this , it was a contract year and he quickly wanted an extension. His production immediately dipped the rest of the year, and he never came close to reaching that pace the NEXT 7 YEARS.

Then he has another great start to a contract year, and all the sudden he wants a contract extension ASAP.

Poile fell for it once;, good for him for not caving to a rare Legwand spurt. I guarantee Legwand wasn't wanting some cheap deal.

I don't know his stats the past 10 games or so games, but I assume not near what they were to start the year.

Signing Legwand to an complacent, comfortable, retirement contract is a horrible idea. He'll coast the whole way to retirement.

Fisher/Horqnvist need to be the veteran leaders at forward on this rebuilding team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
This is pretty hilarious. Last time Legwand had a spurt like this , it was a contract year and he quickly wanted an extension. His production immediately dipped the rest of the year, and he never came close to reaching that pace the NEXT 7 YEARS.

Then he has another great start to a contract year, and all the sudden he wants a contract extension ASAP.

Poile fell for it once;, good for him for not caving to a rare Legwand spurt. I guarantee Legwand wasn't wanting some cheap deal.

I don't know his stats the past 10 games or so games, but I assume not near what they were to start the year.

Signing Legwand to an complacent, comfortable, retirement contract is a horrible idea. He'll coast the whole way to retirement.

Fisher/Horqnvist need to be the veteran leaders at forward on this rebuilding team.

lol, Fisher, as if he's not paid the same to be a lesser version of Legwand. The only thing Mike Fisher has that Legwand doesn't--is that you don't have some weird years-long grudge against him.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
lol, Fisher, as if he's not paid the same to be a lesser version of Legwand. The only thing Mike Fisher has that Legwand doesn't--is that you don't have some weird years-long grudge against him.
Fisher brings it every shift. And I think he's overpaid a bit himself.

In the 6 years since Legwand signed his last extension(his prime), he's yet to match production levels. And effort level (unless you count playoffs). If you want to call that a grudge, fine, I call it disappointment. Also when he signed that extension he was our highest paid player, and maxed out our internal budget for the next 2-3 years.

And he's the only player Poile has publicly called out his disappointment in. Not surprised Poile hasn't jumped to re-sign him on a rare scoring spurt.

But I think your post is more an attempt to de-rail than anything.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
agree. fisher ain't no better. fisher, legwand, hornqvist, wilson ect are why this team struggles. no consistent offense and never ES

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
Meh, they're almost the same player. I'd personally take Fisher over Legwand. But the problem isn't one over the other. It's that we have both of them and are counting on them to lead an offense. That's the main problem.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Meh, they're almost the same player. I'd personally take Fisher over Legwand. But the problem isn't one over the other. It's that we have both of them and are counting on them to lead an offense. That's the main problem.

Throw Spaling in there as well, basically another Legwand\Fisher clone. They all fit the Trotz mold perfectly though--he uses centers as a third defenseman, for better or worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad