Player Discussion: David Jiricek, 6th Overall, 2022 Draft

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’m confused. Jiricek is the one who has no patience and is seemingly trying to pressure his way onto the NHL team. And I’m pretty sure there weren’t any calls to look to move him until he (or his agent) made the NHL/AHL thing public.

It’s not about anybody feeling bad and nobody is attacking Jiricek as a human being.

But, as a top 10 pick, maybe he should be a bit better at some things and better than an undrafted player.

The POINT is he is nowhere good enough at this point to be “demanding” NHL icetime.
You make it sound like he "demanded" NHL icetime. Basically this shit is why NHLers dont have personalities. People claim they want to see it in the NHL but if someone expresses it you get this nonsense. Nemec to start the year was disappointed and upset that he didnt make the big team, where is the fake outrage there? Also Jiricek vocally expressed what I guarentee many players feel/felt, if you dont think confidence bleeding over into ego is not a major trait in athletes you are sorely mistaken.

Your 2nd point has nothing to do with anything. I used an undersized undrafted defenseman playing in a tougher era that was better than most defenders at the time and you are acting like it never happens. You are also comparing a 25 year old and a 20 year old, none of us even knew who Blankenburg was 5 years ago almost like some development happened in that time.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I haven't been impressed with Jiricek. I never really loved the pick but it was the consensus BPA so I was fine with it. So many posters were claiming he's legit so I kinda of just believed it. This year wasn't great for him. Really just too slow footspeed wise and hasn't impressed offensively either.

Obviously it's still early but the entitlement/attitude issues are another concern. I'm sure there's blame to go around with that so I won't harp on it too much but damn you would think he'd be a whole lot better if he's that confident he deserves a spot.

If sub 6 foot Nick Blankenburg plays better defense than you, you might need to look at yourself.
I agree that I don't think he had a very good year. Sophmore slump is my hope and that he goes into the off season recognizing he has work to do and a plan for the CBJ organization on what is needed in the off season. The only thing I will point out is that Blankenburg plays a very different game and is 5 years older with a lot more experience. I don't think his size matters but his fight in his dog is strong.

By all accounts (could just be CBJ fluff) he was very coachable in the AHL and did not, apparently, have an attitude issue at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad