David Desharnais: New Role Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Yeah he's been doing alright but it won't last. He's no AHLer but he's not a very good NHLer.

I don't see why it wouldn't last, well maybe not at the same rate but I think he will have a very good production for a third role by the end of the season.. He's playing on the third line, which rarely gets tough opposition. He doesn't take his role for granted and plays much better than when he was with Pacioretty.

I think playing with Pacioretty, despite having one of the best LW in the league, was not ideal for DD. First, he gets tough opposition and also, I think playing with Pacioretty made him too predictable to point he loses creativity. He was always looking for Pacioretty. At least now, he can use both of his wingers equally.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
And someone also said DD should have been an olympian for Team Canada in Sotchi. These are extremes opinion.

When Eller plays well, people when mention it, because when he's on, he's on. Eller also have his share of "haters". In the playoffs, I doubt people were praising Eller's game for no reason.

It's true that DD doesn't get praised as much as he should when he does well but I don't think a lot people would hate on him. I admit this season that I was a fan of DD's game in his new and thought he was our best and most consistent forward so far this season. I think most reasonable fan can admit something close to that.

Point is, I wouldn't discredit what was said in the GDT about Eller in last year playoffs. I know the GDT gets very emotional sometimes but the posts in the GDT are live-time posts and when people says in the elimination game that Eller deserve to play on the first line or says that he is one of the best forward in the playoffs, should have some kind of truth in it.

To be fair, I was referring to last year only. There's been extremes on both sides but the over optimist extreme isn't quite as prominent.

Still, Eller has always been considered the "untapped potential guy" and DD the "overused stopgap"(I'm being nice with my words on that one)

The general mantra was Eller deserves a chance and people responded to the underdog. It's normal.

It's a little different but regardless. Like I said, DD played like he was outmatched. We can sit and talk about if Eller was truly a beast or not based on GDTs but I hardly care. Fact is I think he did his job adequately and DD did not. I feel that's why people praised Eller and not DD during that time. Yes, some of DDs good plays were overlooked but the general picture was he didn't do his job. Not from a lack of effort but just not in sync or outmatched.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Natey was also a mod at one point and he thought DD deserved place in Team Canada in Sotchi.

A mod's opinion is still just an opinion, its not better than anyone here.

Do you even know what a mod does? :laugh:
No... no I didn't. I explained myself multiple times. He never deserved a spot. He didn't improve like I was hoping (I still over exaggerated), but he became Max's running buddy. His spot was fairly secure with one of the league's top scorer loving playing with him. He became less hungry and he was never the player he was in the AHL. The player you're starting to see this year is the player I thought could improve to the point where he was a legitimate top player. I don't think, given his age, I see that anymore - but I definitely could see him having his best season yet this year - even better than his 60 point year (and that doesn't mean points, it just means overall play).

I'm a positive thinker. I like to think our players will end up amazing. Sue me for believing. :)

And being a mod means nothing as far as opinions go. Whitesnake, for example, has never been a mod. And he's been my favourite poster on HF for years.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A ton of knee jerk reaction posts for some reason.
Simply pose a valid question about possible BIG game vulnerability.
Sheeeesh.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Hey look guys, Eller is being given a chance with arguably our most talented offensive player! Surely it's DD that's the issue, taking away all of Eller's opportunities.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I don't see why it wouldn't last, well maybe not at the same rate but I think he will have a very good production for a third role by the end of the season.. He's playing on the third line, which rarely gets tough opposition. He doesn't take his role for granted and plays much better than when he was with Pacioretty.

I think playing with Pacioretty, despite having one of the best LW in the league, was not ideal for DD. First, he gets tough opposition and also, I think playing with Pacioretty made him too predictable to point he loses creativity. He was always looking for Pacioretty. At least now, he can use both of his wingers equally.

That bold part is one of the greatest fallacies on these boards. There is no such thing as weak opposition at the NHL level. Even playing mostly against 3 lines means you're playing against very capable 2-way players, which should make scoring that much tougher.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
That bold part is one of the greatest fallacies on these boards. There is no such thing as weak opposition at the NHL level. Even playing mostly against 3 lines means you're playing against very capable 2-way players, which should make scoring that much tougher.

Not to mention Therrien doesn't match up the lines, he's literally KNOWN for doing that.

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
Not to mention Therrien doesn't match up the lines, he's literally KNOWN for doing that.

To be honest, while Therrien might not do it, the opponent coach might. Like trying to shut down the top two lines.

Still, there is no easy opposing line in the NHL. They are all competent players.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
To be honest, while Therrien might not do it, the opponent coach might. Like trying to shut down the top two lines.

Still, there is no easy opposing line in the NHL. They are all competent players.

Competent sure. Skilled, sure...but the level of talent between the 1st line and 4th line is significant. As is the gap between the first pairing D's and 3rd.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Hey look, another game where DD leads all forwards in icetime and we lose the game. Every game we lost DD lead the team in icetime. Disgusting. Be right back. Going to barf.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Hey look, another game where DD leads all forwards in icetime and we lose the game. Every game we lost DD lead the team in icetime. Disgusting. Be right back. Going to barf.

I dont agree with it but Pleks and Pacioretty have beem useless lately so its not surprising.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

He was the best forward on the team tonight.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

And last I checked he wasn't on the ice for overtime, so I guess you can't blame him like you undoubtedly did when they lost to Edmonton.

I also recall the habs having a winning record last year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I dont agree with it but Pleks and Pacioretty have beem useless lately so its not surprising.

Not a good enough reason to play DD close to 19 minutes.
We were all happy when he was down around 12-13 minutes.
He was more effective.

MT is slowly but surely reverting to his old ways.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

He was more effective.

How about the guys you all hoped and dreamed would dominate given new roles start actually doing something on the ice.

DD played 19 minutes and was instrumental to the goal they scored, and he wasn't on the ice when the three-p's did jack**** and lost a minute into OT.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How about the guys you all hoped and dreamed would dominate given new roles start actually doing something on the ice.

DD played 19 minutes and was instrumental to the goal they scored, and he wasn't on the ice when the three-p's did jack**** and lost a minute into OT.

Chucky's line and the fourth line were both effective tonight with not nearly enough ice time.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

DD does not have any GWG his entire career as a hab. This is what happens when you put all your eggs into the DD basket. You get burnt.

David Desharnais #1C in Therrien's heart... again. Stanley Cup here we come. :yo:

Wahhh but I don't understand... why you say DD #1C in Therrein heart? When we get bounced from the playoffs a few more times maybe then people will finally catch on.

I'm out.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He was more effective.

Rather him reward for good play then continually put out guys playing poorly simply cause they are the top line.

Over a long haul i agree with you, the game in itself you ride hot players

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
DD played well. He was very dangerous but it goes both ways. If DD is playing big minutes it's one of two reasons:

The coach is misusing him: Bad strategy which may lead to a loss

OR

He's actually playing the best: Which is a red flag and may lead to a loss

I think it was #2 tonight.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
DD played well. He was very dangerous but it goes both ways. If DD is playing big minutes it's one of two reasons:

OR

I think so too.

I dont think he was the best hab, i think gallagher should have been double shifted at times but DD and imo Galchenyuk were the best centers tonight

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

OR

Either option illustrates the point that if you're relying on Desharnais to win you the game, you've already lost.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Patches probably wish he was playing on the third line with DD. Or that DD was playing on the first line with him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Either option illustrates the point that if you're relying on Desharnais to win you the game, you've already lost.

Pretty much.

I would say it's different circumstance than other years. Other years if you were playing DD a lot you were for sure playing Pacioretty a lot.

This year we've seen Flash get more TOI than Pacioretty some games. That is pretty much a no no. That's a 3rd line, a good one but a 3rd line nonetheless.

Not saying Max was good tonight but just thinking that line is a bad line to have play that many minutes given the wingers aren't quite as good.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Patches probably wish he was playing on the third line with DD. Or that DD was playing on the first line with him.

I'm sure he does. Life not so easy for poor patches now that he has to face the league's top opposition and not getting the easy matchups.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm sure he does. Life not so easy for poor patches now that he has to face the league's top opposition and not getting the easy matchups.

Max always faced tough matchups. What do you think people did? Avoid him?

The coach tried to make it favorable by giving more OZS shifts in consequence and letting him get the upper hand. Now there's less of that.

Of course, to counter balance it he received a more complete center(Plekanec over DD) and a better RW(Gallagher over Weise/PAP and sometimes Gallagher as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad