David Clarkson Discussion Thread. Part V

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Nice assumptions made of me as a person there. Kind of sad that you can't argue without making it personal.

I take exception to a third liner taking up a lot of the cap for sure, that doesn't mean I go around blaming him for it when it's not his fault. As I said before, Clarkson played the same game he does now to earn himself that contract. He is not responsible for making sure that GMs evaluate that game correctly, he is just responsible for playing that way afterwards as well. That's where his responsibility ends.

Now Nonis on the other hand did an awful move and should have known better. Both because he actually sought out Clarkson as if that's what this team needs, and because of the contract given out.

I'm pleased with Clarkson as a player this year. I'm not pleased with him as an asset, due to the contract.

Now I care about winning, and I care about the team winning which is why I'm not happy with some of the moves and direction this team has taken.
I won't, however, start resorting to resenting people for things out of their control and calling them names on an online messaging board, for reasons I find pretty obvious.

a.) who was called names?

b.) If you are okay with David Clarkson sucking up 5.25M of cap per year and "happy" with his play..then Im sorry you dont care about winning.

Seems we have a reading comprehension issue here.

hockeyfanz*

Seems we have a reading comprehension issue here.

Oh thanks for chiming in with your two cents. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is if you are happy with Clarkson as a player, then you don't care about winning.

Some people dont seem to see a co-relation between salary and performance. Carry on though with your "reading comprehension" knocks. They are super creative and intelligent.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oh thanks for chiming in with your two cents. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is if you are happy with Clarkson as a player, then you don't care about winning.

Some people dont seem to see a co-relation between salary and performance. Carry on though with your "reading comprehension" knocks. They are super creative and intelligent.

You're half right. But it's not nearly as creative as coming up with a retort to something that wasn't said as if it was. :)

hockeyfanz*

You're half right. But it's not nearly as creative as coming up with a retort to something that wasn't said as if it was. :)

Perhaps people in glass houses..should take reading comprehension courses.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
The point is completely overlooked...again by Mr Duke. No surprise. Of COURSE the agent and player will negotiate the highest possible salary. DUH!!

Who in gawds name is arguing this point? Who?

hockeyfanz said:
Its not give me as much money as I can milk you for and then not be able to earn it.

This seems to infer that players should only take money that they feel is fair for the services they provide, rather than swing for the fences for financial security in a high-risk industry.

Enough people have had their way with you on this, I really have no interest in providing my opinion and having it changed by you again.

Fancy how you're always right yet you're always in the minority around here. You must fancy yourself a modern day Galileo.

I'd love to throw a line about reading and math comprehension...cause that schtick never gets old...or do you watch the games?

If you take the big money...understand there is responsibility which accompanies that. That's the point. Throw in that the fact that its a hard cap and you are no longer just screwing the organization (which I couldn't care less because MLSE is money grubbing corporation).

More importantly you screw over the fans starving for a any semblance of a successful franchise.

Don't you ever stop?

Perhaps the issue here isn't reading comprehension, but rather a lack of writing fluency.

Do I ever stop what? Wearing pigtails and crying into my cereal? Apparently not. :laugh:

hockeyfanz*

This seems to infer that players should only take money that they feel is fair for the services they provide, rather than swing for the fences for financial security in a high-risk industry.

Enough people have had their way with you on this, I really have no interest in providing my opinion and having it changed by you again.

Fancy how you're always right yet you're always in the minority around here. You must fancy yourself a modern day Galileo.

Perhaps the issue here isn't reading comprehension, but rather a lack of writing fluency.

Do I ever stop what? Wearing pigtails and crying into my cereal? Apparently not. :laugh:

You simply dont seem to understand basic concepts.

David Clarkson can ask for 10M per year its his perogative.

Dave Nonis can pay him 10M per year..its his perogative.

Joe Fan can be sick to their stomachs over this horrendous incompetence and boo Clarkson every time he touches the puck. Chant fire Nonis if he wants. Its his perogative.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The point is completely overlooked...again by Mr Duke. No surprise. Of COURSE the agent and player will negotiate the highest possible salary. DUH!!

Who in gawds name is arguing this point? Who?

I'd love to throw a line about reading and math comprehension...cause that schtick never gets old...or do you watch the games?

If you take the big money...understand there is responsibility which accompanies that. That's the point. Throw in that the fact that its a hard cap and you are no longer just screwing the organization (which I couldn't care less because MLSE is money grubbing corporation).

More importantly you screw over the fans starving for a any semblance of a successful franchise.

Don't you ever stop?

with a great contract comes great responsibility from game 1 to it's end.

so far, year 1 was utterly unearned.

now the bar is set so low, at least not totaly useless.

still a long long long way to go before he earns that contract from my POV.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You simply dont seem to understand basic concepts.

David Clarkson can ask for 10M per year its his perogative.

Dave Nonis can pay him 10M per year..its his perogative.

Joe Fan can be sick to their stomachs over this horrendous incompetence and boo Clarkson every time he touches the puck. Chant fire Nonis if he wants. Its his perogative.

Thats it in a nutshell.

Prerogative*.

And that wasn't the initial conversation but yay I'm glad it's over.

---------

Clarkson with another solid game tonight. Involved physically and offensively. If he had played like this from Game 1 last season he'd be loved around here. I feel the hole has been dug too deep, however, for him to completely crawl out of it.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Clarkson is playing great, and has been all season. One of our most consistent players and a model of work ethic and team playing. That's worth an extra 1.5 mil in my books.

bzer

Jan 31, 2009
Regardless of the up-and-down season thus far, Clarkson has been very impressive and playing like the guy we paid him to. Is he a 5.25M? Maybe not but he's definitely playing like a 4M+

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
with a great contract comes great responsibility from game 1 to it's end.

so far, year 1 was utterly unearned.

now the bar is set so low, at least not totaly useless.

still a long long long way to go before he earns that contract from my POV.

Good then because he has a long time left to do it.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
As one of his harshest critics last year, he hasn't left me with all too much to criticize so far this season. We all know he'll never live up to his contract, but I really can't help but admire his very strong work-ethic and character. He really did not like getting torn up by the media last season..

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
if he can keep up this play for the next couple seasons he'll be worth his contract with the cap going up... hes been a pleasure to watch honestly

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
Maybe a thread should be set up for people to cry about Clarksons contract and another one to actually talk about how well he has actually been playing so far?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe a thread should be set up for people to cry about Clarksons contract and another one to actually talk about how well he has actually been playing so far?

Fans really shouldn't be complaining about Clarkson as he is playing now like what was expected of him.

Clarkson has been among Leafs better more effective players this year. When he gets his cage off he should have even more success as he claims he looses the puck in his feet because of it.

Tyler Biggs*

Clarkson's line has been the best on the Leafs as far as hard work and consistency. Hopefully they will be infectious and get the others going.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
He was definitely involved in a couple good plays yesterday but the one I liked was where he drove to the net hard and took his defender with him. Then he put the D-man through the net! Good strong move with some attitude, gotta love it. Leafs have needed that for a long time and it's great to see some real grit again.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Man all these compliments about Clarkson. Some posters must be in the burn unit. Clarkson is a gritty type player that teams hate to play against. Hope he keeps it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad