Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
If I'm a GM in the cap era, I'm not giving 6m to my RW3.

Are you guys?

This again is not a Backes problem, it's a bit more a Sweeney one.

Reactions: Estlin

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm sure they didn't sign him intending him to be their RW3

So that's the very problem then.

If you follow the dominos, the dominos look very bad here for Sweeney.

Trade Reilly Smith and Savard to open cap space for Beleskey, obtain Hayes
Sign Backes to RW2 for 6m
Buy out Hayes
Trade assets to lose half of Beleskey and to obtain Nash for RW2 because you don't feel comfortable with Backes there, lose Spooner and 1st rounder

I don't care what you want to say about the drafting which has been pretty good. That sequence is awful.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Hoping for a big playoff performance from him,the fact Bruins would rather go with Nash at Center on first line is pretty telling of his play.

It's been clear that they're not totally comfortable with him at center for whatever reason. It's not an indictment on his play because he's been playing relatively well and he's producing just fine.

Edit- just to put the numbers out there... So far this year he's producing at around a 50 point pace. For his career his 82 game average has been around 51 points (if you want to just count his time in STL, it's 52 points). For his career he's averaged 18:02 TOI/game (18:15 in STL). This year he's averaged 15:52 TOI/game.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It's been clear that they're not totally comfortable with him at center for whatever reason. It's not an indictment on his play because he's been playing relatively well and he's producing just fine.

I would also add that calling him 3rd liner is probably not quite right here, as that line gets a lot of minutes; Backes plays less than a minute less average than Krejci, more than DeBrusk, more than Spooner when he was here. He's 2/3 line wing that takes defensive zone starts, and does 2nd unit PP time.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Too much black and white here

Folks,do you want the Bruins to win a cup? If yes, then having Backes is important not just because he plays 3rd line Rw, but because he can play center, on any line, provides size, grit, leadership, and scoring ability

The playoffs are a war of attrition and it's incredibly important to have guys like Backes on your team. If we're talking cap, maybe he's overpaid by 1 million, but that 4 million in dead space should get your ire. Not Backes and his contract

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
My favorite play of last night was Backes going cross ice and blasting I believes an unsuspecting Hornqvist into the boards as he was getting off

Yup, nailed him.

McAvoy and Backes are quite close it seems. That was a nice little touch for his friend.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
My favorite play of last night was Backes going cross ice and blasting I believes an unsuspecting Hornqvist into the boards as he was getting off
It was beautiful.

I love Backes.

I swear you’d think he kicked someone’s dog the way people rail on him.

He’s been night and day since he came back from surgery.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was beautiful.

I love Backes.

I swear you’d think he kicked someone’s dog the way people rail on him.

He’s been night and day since he came back from surgery.

I get people not liking the contract, I`m not crazy pumped about it either but he`s worth as much as someone is willing to pay him I guess. That said, I have little problem with Backes, he was never a big point producer in St. Louis, he was a steady guy who`ll bang/crash and be a good locker room guy. What`s he got this year? Almost 30 pts in 45 games after enduring major surgery which he came back long before I think anyone anticipated? This guy is crazy, love his passion to play and I would wager if we were to talk to Butch about his value to the team we`d be hearing about how much he loves having him on the team.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I get people not liking the contract, I`m not crazy pumped about it either but he`s worth as much as someone is willing to pay him I guess. That said, I have little problem with Backes, he was never a big point producer in St. Louis, he was a steady guy who`ll bang/crash and be a good locker room guy. What`s he got this year? Almost 30 pts in 45 games after enduring major surgery which he came back long before I think anyone anticipated? This guy is crazy, love his passion to play and I would wager if we were to talk to Butch about his value to the team we`d be hearing about how much he loves having him on the team.
He’s getting the same crap Kelly got around here.

The fact he left St. Louis was a coup by the Bruins.

You’re right about asking Butch about his value to the team.

All you need to know is that Backes spoke with Bergeron before signing here.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Guys if the Backes contract is why Nash can't be resigned, would you be bummed?

Again this is not a Backes issue. It's a bit of a Sweeney one. The plan was never for a 6m RW3. So to keep Nash we're going to need to get creative. And man we gotta keep Nash.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I look at how he fits what he does and and don't focus as much on his contract but I do know

The last 2 years it's $4 M in cash so a moveable contract

That said I think he will be fine

You need guys like him otherwise you have a collection of talent sitting in a row boat like Edmonton and Arizona with one paddle

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Again this is not a Backes issue. It's a bit of a Sweeney one. The plan was never for a 6m RW3. So to keep Nash we're going to need to get creative. And man we gotta keep Nash.
If Nash wants to stay, they will find a way to make it work. They did with Pasta and Marchand.

BTW, Phil Kessel makes $10 mil to be a 3rd line RW.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Again, that 4 million in dead cap space would be worthy of blame, not Backes or his contract. In that regard, Sweeney is worthy of blame for the Hayes and Beleskey portions of that dead cap space.

This isn't a Backes issue. The guy is playing impressively for his age, post guy surgery. I'm glad to have him here. I remember him being one of the only good parts of the Ottawa series and I can't wait to see how he does this time around

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Backes, like Krejci, is scoring at roughly the same rate he has for his whole career, only he's playing 2-3 fewer minutes than normal. Again, like Krejci, I'm not sure what exactly the problem is

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The problem is simply that at some point, something has to give. The first casualty of the cap is Riley Nash. He's gone for sure. And he should go get 3.5m somewhere because he really deserves it. You might be able to add Khudobin to that list too. Don't think I'd blame him for going somewhere to get paid. We can survive losing one or 2 of those 4th liners if they want a bit more money too. But the fact is that Riley Nash is one of our better contracts today.

Where the rubber really hits the road is the year Carlo, Charlie and Heinen all need new deals. That's 2019-2020. We'll still have 3m in dead money, the core players will all still be on contract outside of McQuaid. Only thing that comes to mind is Seattle will be plucking players by then and maybe we expose someone that couldn't pass on.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The problem is simply that at some point, something has to give. The first casualty of the cap is Riley Nash. He's gone for sure. And he should go get 3.5m somewhere because he really deserves it. You might be able to add Khudobin to that list too. Don't think I'd blame him for going somewhere to get paid. We can survive losing one or 2 of those 4th liners if they want a bit more money too. But the fact is that Riley Nash is one of our better contracts today.

Where the rubber really hits the road is the year Carlo, Charlie and Heinen all need new deals. That's 2019-2020. We'll still have 3m in dead money, the core players will all still be on contract outside of McQuaid. Only thing that comes to mind is Seattle will be plucking players by then and maybe we expose someone that couldn't pass on.

Seattle isn't expected to begin play until the season after (2020-21).

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Right, but what I mean is you probably have to shape your roster the year before in anticipation of your protection list. Or at least I'd be. Also I heard yesterday they shaved a year off that prediction by pre-selling those 25,000 theoretical season tickets.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Right, but what I mean is you probably have to shape your roster the year before in anticipation of your protection list. Or at least I'd be. Also I heard yesterday they shaved a year off that prediction by pre-selling those 25,000 theoretical season tickets.

I thought (and I could be wrong) that Leiwike said yesterday the arena won't be ready until the fall of 2020.

Bruins don't need to do too much to shape their protection list. Like most teams, they will lose a good player, it's inevitable.

But it's projected they won't need to protect Backes or Krejci (would no longer have NMCs), Miller and Krug will be UFAs, Chara too.

They need to avoid having Rick Nash on a NMC at that time, or else they will give Seattle one more good young player to pick from.

Overall the Bruins are set-up pretty good for potential expansion as it stands today.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much

The problem is, if you are being sincere and (to quote you) "Again this is not a Backes issue. It's a bit of a Sweeney one" then take this to the Sweeney thread.

Getting "Backes" on track, a leader and a solid teammate is someone who has the backs of the people he goes into the trenches with. That hit on Hornqvist sent a very clear message.
As others have rightfully said last nights game showed something special is happening here, much like that Dallas game so many years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad