Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Backes might be the Bruin I'd be happiest for if the Bruins win the Cup. I could even see Bergeron letting Chara hand it to Backes first.

I think Backes has been a great fit. Hard to see a lot of former NHL captains who would be willing to come in and play on the third or fourth line. He does that and seems to be great with the young kids. And then all the health issues he's had to deal with this year have been crazy.

I'm a fan.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Backes might be the Bruin I'd be happiest for if the Bruins win the Cup. I could even see Bergeron letting Chara hand it to Backes first.

I think Backes has been a great fit. Hard to see a lot of former NHL captains who would be willing to come in and play on the third or fourth line. He does that and seems to be great with the young kids. And then all the health issues he's had to deal with this year have been crazy.

I'm a fan.

I think Backes struggles during the regular season where the close checking/physical game is less prevalent and the focus is more on speed. He showed where and why he was signed in game one. Thought he was one of the best B`s out there in the series vs Ottawa and he was, hands down, the Blues best performer the year before.

Can`t help but pull for this guy

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He’s playing on adrenaline and heart now. The legs were totally dead last night. He battled on the wall and around the net but damn that money is looking rough already. Overall i have liked his play, but if he’s gonna fade out down the stretch it does the team no good. Hopefully it’s just taking him an extra game or two to recover and he’s good to go Thursday.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just seems gassed for whatever reason. Had a hard time keeping up and still takes too long to shoot. I'm not sure if the Leafs just got good matchups out there vs him, but he looked old last night.

I thought all of the old guys looked, well, old last night. Rick Nash looked like he was skating in quicksand, just a terrible first step, couldn't get to any loose pucks. Krejci with bad turnovers and weak plays (likely due to fatigue). Backes essentially dumped the puck into the zone every time, could never get going and carry it. Even St. Patrice didn't look quite up to his normal excellent self.

3rd high paced game in 5 nights.

Ironically the only old guy who I thought had a good game was 41-year old Chara.

The 2 day break should help.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I thought all of the old guys looked, well, old last night. Rick Nash looked like he was skating in quicksand, just a terrible first step, couldn't get to any loose pucks. Krejci with bad turnovers and weak plays (likely due to fatigue). Backes essentially dumped the puck into the zone every time, could never get going and carry it. Even St. Patrice didn't look quite up to his normal excellent self.

3rd high paced game in 5 nights.

Ironically the only old guy who I thought had a good game was 41-year old Chara.

The 2 day break should help.

Well that's the thing I guess. Backes and Krejci make a LOAD of money. They have to contribute offensively when the top line isn't immortal.

Reactions: Estlin

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Just seems gassed for whatever reason. Had a hard time keeping up and still takes too long to shoot. I'm not sure if the Leafs just got good matchups out there vs him, but he looked old last night.

That's why I assumed he was hurt or just his conditioning is off. Just looked a step behind every play, and the ones he got to push the tempo he bobbled a lot.

Reactions: FanSince72

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Really shocked there hasn't been a post in this thread after last night :laugh:

I cant count how many times hes been set up in the slot and has been unable to finish the play in the playoffs this year. Not just last night. It has happened in various other games in this playoff run.

They're going to need depth scoring going forward and hes definitely a guy I cant help but look at.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Tough part is the dude is all heart and the contract is bad. I think most people are in agreement. Where I hope he steps up is hitting. This Tampa team is laying the wood to our young players. We need some push back.

Reactions: JCRO

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Tough part is the dude is all heart and the contract is bad. I think most people are in agreement. Where I hope he steps up is hitting. This Tampa team is laying the wood to our young players. We need some push back.

I'm with you. TB was running around a bit last night, notably McDonagh, and I was looking for Backes to get more engaged. He's obviously a step behind the play and that seems like it's getting worse by the game, so we need the guy who looks for big hits and starts scrums all over the ice. He's done it, but he needs to do it more if the rest of his game is going to be a non-factor.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Aging player getting exposed for losing a step against younger, faster teams? You don't say? He's been okay playing, but hasn't buried enough of his chances, along with his entire line. I'd personally move Nash down, because I really liked how they played together that one game in the Toronto series. I also think Heinen has looked lost most of this playoff run.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Really shocked there hasn't been a post in this thread after last night :laugh:

I cant count how many times hes been set up in the slot and has been unable to finish the play in the playoffs this year. Not just last night. It has happened in various other games in this playoff run.

They're going to need depth scoring going forward and hes definitely a guy I cant help but look at.

I don't think he can deliver. I believe he w-a-n-t-s to deliver, but don't think he c-a-n.

Beleskey
Backes
Nash61

killing us

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
my favorite thing about this fanbase is how we always complain about the team not hitting while at the same time complaining when the guys who are physical don't score a goal per game

the contract isn't that bad. if you compare it to guys renewing their contracts with teams of course its not great value. thats how just about every UFA contract goes with players switching teams. you're not going to get great players via UFA anymore. if it was good value the original team would keep them. you get role players, depth, etc. you mix that with your own renewals and ELC's

also it seems fairly obvious he is nursing something. either something new or lingering. his physicality and energy has slowed down the last week or so

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
my favorite thing about this fanbase is how we always complain about the team not hitting while at the same time complaining when the guys who are physical don't score a goal per game

the contract isn't that bad. if you compare it to guys renewing their contracts with teams of course its not great value. thats how just about every UFA contract goes with players switching teams. you're not going to get great players via UFA anymore. if it was good value the original team would keep them. you get role players, depth, etc. you mix that with your own renewals and ELC's

also it seems fairly obvious he is nursing something. either something new or lingering. his physicality and energy has slowed down the last week or so

Solid post. Well said.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I think calling the contract "not that bad" is mostly people being dishonest with themselves. Backes wasn't paid 6m to be a bit tough and struggle on line 3 without ever being reliable enough to play C again. This was not a wise move and Sweeney knows that.

But again when we come back to dudes leaving it all on the ice and leading by example, he's still the guy. So let's take what we can get out of it and find a way to win. I think he can make everyone else feel a few inches taller if he gets real nasty.

Reactions: Estlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad