Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm starting to think that in the league's quest to turn the NHL into the NBA, they are over-doing the post game suspensions, thinking that's the answer to compensate for their push to take player's justice (fighting) out of the game for these incidents.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Wow, what a stand up guy. He questioned the league, their process and motives without turning it into a bitching war. Definitely more restraint than I would have had.

Reading between the lines, the league is going to suspend him regardless of any counterargument (because they can) because they are feeling pressure to do so (from the media).

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Garbage suspension considering his lack of history. However I’m not shocked by it as the DOPS has always been inconsistent to say the least.

“Next man up”

Major double standard going on.

Dreger was on NHL network last night and admitted the same. Saying Backus himself has taken, as bad of hits this year without any suspensions issued.:shakehead

Reactions: Thrive

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Corey Perry was suspended before for an elbow on Claude Giroux.He also got Jason Zucker. This year he laid a good blindside elbow to head of Chris Letang but not a peep by League and he has a history for it.Was fact Parros and Perry teammates so long playing into that decision?
I understand the desire to put ex-players into positions that make decisions since they are familiar with the game. Unfortunately there is too much politics and bias in the league office for that to result in fair and consistent decisions. The NHL needs to get its act together and make suspensions automatic. It doesn't take an ex-player or rocket scientist to watch a replay and see if there is a hit to the head. Bring in an outsider to run DoPS and make decisions. I don't think many people have major objection to suspending hits to the head. The main contention is when DoPS picks and chooses who to suspend, ignoring the same group of bad actors, while throwing the book at certain players and teams. Shit is beyond stale. Throw all player histories out the window and start from scratch. Make a simple set of rules for suspension. First offense for a hit to the head -- x games suspension, second offense -- x games suspension, etc. No exceptions. None. The NHL and its enforcement of rules both on and off the ice is an absolute inconsistent mess.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Corey Perry was suspended before for an elbow on Claude Giroux.He also got Jason Zucker. This year he laid a good blindside elbow to head of Chris Letang but not a peep by League and he has a history for it.Was fact Parros and Perry teammates so long playing into that decision?

I'm not a fan of recently former players being involved in this fashion. They are people, they have their biases.

Parros is allegedly an intelligent individual but that doesn't mean he should be qualified for this role (he doesn't appear to be).

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm not a fan of recently former players being involved in this fashion. They are people, they have their biases.

Parros is allegedly an intelligent individual but that doesn't mean he should be qualified for this role (he doesn't appear to be).

Nothing’s changed since Shanahan then Quintal and now Parros. The same stuff keeps happening. Fans get outraged the NHL goes deaf and nothing changes.

Actually, it’s getting worse

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the answer is all head shots get penalties in games (like for high sticking). Make them double minors, if there is injury 5 and a game.

Then they should suspend based on number of prior offense and not how injured the player was (eg 1st time is 1 game, 2nd is 2 etc).

The headshot prior history can come into play if there is a different offense (eg boarding, knee on knee) but those aren’t used for head shot priors (except maybe boardings since those can be head injuries).

Somehow the real inconsistency seems to lie more in which hits get reviews and phone calls than what the actual consequence is.

Also, in case of suspected head shot I would like to see them real time reviewable. College hockey does this with head shots.

I just think a stricter on ice in the game catching and punishing head shots will make more of a difference than this whole spin the wheel of Justice post game crap.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Pretty bad he has no support from Bruins brass.Crickets .Said he cannot appeal it and mentioned 2400 hits never an issue Glad he at least got to let that out.Suttle shot at League
You have 0 proof of this. Just because they haven't said anything publicly doesn't mean they don't support him.

I'm confident that the team from the top down supports him 100%.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
didnt holden get blindsided in the same game??
I dont remember the play well enough. dont know if there was head contact or not.
I cant find a replay on the hit.

Reactions: Thrive
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad