OT: Dave Van Horne calls it a career

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
For me he was simply the voice of summer. There was something soothing and relaxing about spending an afternoon in the yard while listening to DVH.

By the pool right,by the pool right? in the famous banana hammock:jk:

pI8mVhw.gif

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Part of my childhood listening to him and Duke Snider. Van Horne was awesome. A real pro. You can see in the Dennis Martinez clip, he knew when to talk and he knew when not to. He had a perfect voice and demeanor for calling baseball games. His induction in the Hall of Fame was well deserved.

Didn't realize he was in HOF,good for him. Hoping to go back to Cooperstown again someday and bring the mrs,huge baseball fan,albeit Japanese baseball but sure she would appreciate it nonetheless.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There was that public pool just outside the right field fence. A few Expos and visiting players hit home runs that left Jarry Park and landed in that pool.

I scratched one off my easy to do list last summer and spent several hours cooling off in that very pool. I ended up striking up a conversation with a parent who was playing catch with her kid in the pool, using a foam ball. I noticed that she grew tired of playing so I offered to take over and she let me.

She told me her kid was playing in a league that held its games at Jarry. I’m looking to donate all my unused equipment to the baseball association that runs that league.

I also discovered the old backstop that my friends and I used to hold our pick up games. To my surprise, it had never been renovated. It’s as if time had stood still in that little diamond now overtaken by weeds and pigeons.

Sad that baseball really petered out overall in Quebec. We had some great rivalries throughout Quebec and actually had more brawls in baseball than hockey,who'd of thought:amazed:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He of the dulcet tones brightened many a summer. How spoiled we’ve been in Montreal with so many amazing talents calling games from different sports.

Would love to read your memories. What a class act.

Tribute show on TSN690 today, with Kenny Singleton coming on at 6PM. Dave himself will be on Tuesday’s show and will be taking questions from fans.

Well-deserved, Dave. Thank-you for all you’ve done. Please be well. :)

Loved this guy calling ball games!!!!
Will always remember, El Presidente, El Perfecto!!!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I remember Dave's original broadcasting partner, Russ Taylor. Taylor passed away in the 70s and Duke Snider took over. Both Snider and Singleton were terrific in their roles, great players with a really good sense of humour. But Dave was the man. I always knew he was good, but as I got older and heard other broadcasters I realized how exceptional he really was. So many afternoons listening to them on radio while playing ball with my brother or best friend, and later while driving. The sound of summer....

• Dave's wife died (don't remember when) and he still called the game that night.
• Re-watched the "El Presidente... El Perfecto" clip. I remember hearing the game live, but forgot that the Expos were in LA. Classy ovation by the Dodgers fans.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Used to play against his son in youth baseball. Sr. wouldn't show up much, probably too busy, and parents didn't in those days. You'd jump on your bike and get yourself to the game.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Here's an entire game from Jarry Park played on May 10th, 1969, barely a month into the Expos' existence. DVH had called minor league games in Virginia for about 3 years prior to getting the Expos gig but as you can hear, he came fully formed. He was as good in May of 69 as he was in October of 81 or July of 91.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad