OT: Dave Van Horne calls it a career

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He of the dulcet tones brightened many a summer. How spoiled we’ve been in Montreal with so many amazing talents calling games from different sports.

Would love to read your memories. What a class act.

Tribute show on TSN690 today, with Kenny Singleton coming on at 6PM. Dave himself will be on Tuesday’s show and will be taking questions from fans.

Well-deserved, Dave. Thank-you for all you’ve done. Please be well. :)

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He of the dulcet tones brightened many a summer. How spoiled we’ve been in Montreal with so many amazing talents calling games from different sports.

Would love to read your memories. What a class act.

Tribute show on TSN690 today, with Kenny Singleton coming on at 6PM. Dave himself will be on Tuesday’s show and will be taking questions from fans.

Well-deserved, Dave. Thank-you for all you’ve done. Please be well. :)

The voice of the Expos,for me anyways. Well spoken and always kind with us, as were most of the Expos organization. They should name a street after him:thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The voice of the Expos,for me anyways. Well spoken and always kind with us, as were most of the Expos organization. They should name a street after him:thumbu:

For me he was simply the voice of summer. There was something soothing and relaxing about spending an afternoon in the yard while listening to DVH.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
One the best ever. Great voice, great cadence, and knew when to shut up and let Duke or Kenny talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Part of my childhood listening to him and Duke Snider. Van Horne was awesome. A real pro. You can see in the Dennis Martinez clip, he knew when to talk and he knew when not to. He had a perfect voice and demeanor for calling baseball games. His induction in the Hall of Fame was well deserved.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks pal, that call will be in my head until the day I die.

You're welcome, my friend. I just replayed it thanks to you while some fool was peeling onions near my TV set.

Part of my childhood listening to him and Duke Snider. Van Horne was awesome. A real pro. You can see in the Dennis Martinez clip, he knew when to talk and he knew when not to. He had a perfect voice and demeanor for calling baseball games. His induction in the Hall of Fame was well deserved.

I still remember Duke Snider doing commercials for "Color Television Shop on Wheels" during radio broadcasts.

Elliot Price on 690 now and Ken Singleton coming up.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What a trip down memory lane with Ken Singleton getting interviewed right now on 690.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I became a fan & student of the game because of Vin Scully / Joe Garagiola on NBC Saturday afternoons and Dave & Duke the rest of the week.

And yet, of all the players those legendary broadcasters drew your attention towards, you defied them all and chose one Sal Butera, a back up catcher as I recall, as your user name. :sarcasm:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And yet, of all the players those legendary broadcasters drew your attention towards, you defied them all and chose one Sal Butera, a back up catcher as I recall, as your user name. :sarcasm:
Not only a backup catcher, he couldn’t hit his own weight and had no arm for a defensive catcher, but he had ka-rac-tear… ahh life after Gary Carter! LOL

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I spent countless hours listening to the Expos games on the radio with my dad growing up, so he was definitely one of THE voices of my childhood. My dad is 70 now and had a major health scare a couple years back so these memories of old summer evenings on the patio with him and the radio have taken an even bigger importance for me. I'll always be thankful for those and to Dave Van Horne, he always made me feel like I was ''there'', living the moment with him and my dad. Baseball is still something of a sentimental thing for me, even to this day.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wasn’t lucky to enough to have sport fan parents but I had a bike, a mitt, a bat and a baseball I used to stitch whenever the seams would give out.

I spent my summers at Jarry Park playing pick up games until supper time and sometimes, until sundown. And whenever I got home, I knew that the cherry on top of my cake was putting on Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider.

I’d sometimes listen to them in my backyard. We had this 60-watt bulb sticking out from atop the back door and that was all the lighting we had and needed. It didn’t even have a fixture but no one cared. We just sat there (chatting, playing board games, cards) my brothers and a few friends from the neighborhood and listened to Dave and Duke.

And no one ever said that they’d rather do something else or be anywhere else. It was our own little bubble of happiness and I always look upon it fondly, especially when I think of Dave Van Horne.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wasn’t lucky to enough to have sport fan parents but I had a bike, a mitt, a bat and a baseball I used to stitch whenever the seams would give out.

I spent my summers at Jarry Park playing pick up games until supper time and sometimes, until sundown. And whenever I got home, I knew that the cherry on top of my cake was putting on Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider.

I’d sometimes listen to them in my backyard. We had this 60-watt bulb sticking out from atop the back door and that was all the lighting we had and needed. It didn’t even have a fixture but no one cared. We just sat there (chatting, playing board games, cards) my brothers and a few friends from the neighborhood and listened to Dave and Duke.

And no one ever said that they’d rather do something else or be anywhere else. It was our own little bubble of happiness and I always look upon it fondly, especially when I think of Dave Van Horne.
That's one of the best things about the game, it really doesn't take much of anything outside of an open space somewhere, an old mitt, a bat and a baseball. Me and my buddies would play catch pretty much every day around the block if the weather was anywhere close to decent, it was such a spontaneous thing. Literally EVERYONE had a mitt and a ball at the ready.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
It’s a crying shame Dave Van Horne never saw Les Expos win the National League Pennant (no thanks to Rick Monday). Dave’s broadcasts along with colour man Duke Snyder were classics. Le Parc Jarry exuded such an idyllic atmosphere.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's one of the best things about the game, it really doesn't take much of anything outside of an open space somewhere, an old mitt, a bat and a baseball. Me and my buddies would play catch pretty much every day around the block if the weather was anywhere close to decent, it was such a spontaneous thing. Literally EVERYONE had a mitt and a ball at the ready.

In my neighborhood, there were two constants. Every block featured garage bands. And most kids played baseball.

You reminded me that whenever we wouldn’t be at the park or when the weather looked iffy, we’d play catch on the sidewalk or in the street. I wonder how many cars we unintentionally scraped and damaged, lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s a crying shame Dave Van Horne never saw Les Expos win the National League Pennant (no thanks to Rick Monday). Dave’s broadcasts along with colour man Duke Snyder were classics. Le Parc Jarry exuded such an idyllic atmosphere.

There was that public pool just outside the right field fence. A few Expos and visiting players hit home runs that left Jarry Park and landed in that pool.

I scratched one off my easy to do list last summer and spent several hours cooling off in that very pool. I ended up striking up a conversation with a parent who was playing catch with her kid in the pool, using a foam ball. I noticed that she grew tired of playing so I offered to take over and she let me.

She told me her kid was playing in a league that held its games at Jarry. I’m looking to donate all my unused equipment to the baseball association that runs that league.

I also discovered the old backstop that my friends and I used to hold our pick up games. To my surprise, it had never been renovated. It’s as if time had stood still in that little diamond now overtaken by weeds and pigeons.

Reactions: angusyoung

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As a guy growing up in western Canada, my memories of Dave Van Horne are on tsn when he did national games with Gary carter doing the colour.​

He had a great voice for baseball. I wasn't even that much of a baseball fan, but he still somehow drew me in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad