Injury Report: Dave Bolland

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Bolland played 39 games, check out who was our #2 guy taking draws in the playoffs. Madden wasnt even 3rd in number of draws in the playoffs

Madden couldn't skate and was very worn by the later part of the 2010 season, his faceoff effectiveness dropped too, but some of that was because of who he was on the ice with imo. Madden was not very valuable by the time Bolland returned to the lineup. Sharp's faceoff statistics are skewed a bit because he was seldom on the dot against the better faceoff men compared to Bolland and Toews.

Bolland took more draws, and he pretty much sucked at them. Toews was and is still awesome obviously. After having to watch Burish take draws against good centers in 2009, I actually was happy with the marginal upgrade Bolland brought to the dot because he could actually skate into position quickly after a loss.

I was a little surprised to hear Foley become openly critical of Bolland's struggles at the dot without glossing it over with as much as he normally does last night. If the Hawks didn't have him line up with 12 million in cap space on the wings in a puck possession system, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about his faceoff problems.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
One thing is clear, if we don't improve our face-offs, we are going to lose a game someday.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He had Ryan Johnson and Jon Madden and Bolland still took the lions share of the draws. Mayers and Sharp both are better are the dot and still out goes Bolland.

John Madden was the go to guy and took more F/O than Bolland when both were here, sorry.

Bolland played 39 games, check out who was our #2 guy taking draws in the playoffs. Madden wasnt even 3rd in number of draws in the playoffs

As I said, when both were available, Madden took more draws (per game) When Bolland was hurt or Madden was gassed is outside of that window.

Madden physically capable and Bolland healthy in the line up, Madden was the guy.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
As I said, when both were available, Madden took more draws (per game) When Bolland was hurt or Madden was gassed is outside of that window.

Madden physically capable and Bolland healthy in the line up, Madden was the guy.

So Madden wasn't healthy all playoffs right? Got it.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think some believe they just are not as crucial as you do, not that they are not important.

Right. No one is saying concede all faceoffs. Just that you don't trade assets so you can get a guy who wins 52% of his faceoffs instead of 48%.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Right. No one is saying concede all faceoffs. Just that you don't trade assets so you can get a guy who wins 52% of his faceoffs instead of 48%.

If we acqured a 4th line C, it wouldn't cost much in terms of assets and he'd bring more than just faceoff prowess. If they would just pick up a good defensive forward that is exceptional on faceoffs for the 4th line and to help with the PK when need be, everyone would be happy and the results would show. Remember how awesome it was to have Toews and Johnson? As close to guaranteed possesion as you can get on demand.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
If we acqured a 4th line C, it wouldn't cost much in terms of assets and he'd bring more than just faceoff prowess. If they would just pick up a good defensive forward that is exceptional on faceoffs for the 4th line and to help with the PK when need be, everyone would be happy and the results would show. Remember how awesome it was to have Toews and Johnson? As close to guaranteed possesion as you can get on demand.

Mayers won 56% of his draws last season (558 attempts)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Mayers won 56% of his draws last season (558 attempts)

That's fine if he keeps taking draws. The bigger issue is 2C and I just want a playmaker there. If he isn't that great at faceoffs, what can you do. If we aren't getting a 2C, we still need to acquire a C for depth purposes.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
That's fine if he keeps taking draws. The bigger issue is 2C and I just want a playmaker there. If he isn't that great at faceoffs, what can you do. If we aren't getting a 2C, we still need to acquire a C for depth purposes.

I agree a 2nd line center thats a playmaker would be ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad