Darling

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Oh no doubt about it, we'd be giving up something nice to get a guy like Raanta anyway though. If we could do Darling + Goat for Raanta I'd do it in a second, the question is if Zona would.
As Blackhawks fan, I could say that Darling clearly outplayed Raanta for backup goalie position first (then Raanta and Nielson were both shipped out) and was considered for the starter position in place of Crawford according to rumours. Then Crawford invoked his NMC and said GFY so Hawks had to ship Darling since they could not afford him anymore.
He carried Blackhawks team in Crawford absence/injuries for the last 2 years including epic wins in playoffs against Nashville. No Darling, no 2015 cup.
I was really rooting for him to succeed and carry Carolina to playoffs but like others, do not understand what is going on. Chicago defence was/is trash last couple of years and he did outstanding job with highlight saves, and now apparently he is not doing well and fans are eager to run him out of town.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I wonder if a stretch in Charlotte gets it done....give him a chance to have a big workload without significant impact on the big club. Still do the training and sport psychologist thing as well. But right now, I'd rather have his derps affect Charlotte. Sorry guys.....
I could see this as well...I highly doubt anyone would claim him on waivers, maybe he could rebuild his confidence (though it might suck for Charlotte). Problem is, neither Needaspellcheck or Smith are doing well enough to give me confidence they could fill in during his absence. We'd have to pursue someone to platoon with Ward. Raanta? He's had a good year with Arizona, and probably going to have a lot of teams trying to snag him for the playoffs as a solid backup (i.e. Penguins). Either that or Arizona may want to try and resign him since he's been solid and they don't really have another goalie in the system who's proven competent at the NHL level (sound familiar?). Dell? About as much of a wildcard as Darling.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Let's work up a Number 6 on him
klas-dahlbeck-2015-35.jpg

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I come in peace. :)

Alright I don't get it. I saw the youth in Carolina's defense and I jumped on Darling in my keeper league. I thought they were a playoff team this year. I wanted to try to see for myself what is going on. Just went back and watched a bunch of goals. Can't see too many goals passed the last ten. I have only watched a few Canes games on and off this year and he hasn't looked bad from what I have seen, be it only small samples.
Reading people on he boards in the bruins GDT blaming driving is laughable.
1st goal on darling looked like Bergeron was gonna shoot. Darling went down a little early but the one timer came across. Both Bergeron and Pasternak wide open. Tough to stop those.
2nd goal the team is chasing the bruins around. Redirection. Not many goalies can stop those.
3rd goal once again Bergeron left wide open and sniped a nice one time shot. Where is the coverage?
4th goal darling played the shooter and the puck. The defense let the guy walk right in and Bergeron left open for a juicy rebound to an open net. Darling was busy playing the shooter.
5th goal. Once again. Bergeron walks in and left all alone.
People complaining about darling really need to look at what happened during these plays.
Your defense was terrible last night.
This is my take on what I have seen the rest of the season/games/goals.
Not trying to take the onus off of Darling, but your defense was terrible on a lot of those. Out of position, leaving guys wide open. It reminds me of when everyone was all over the Leaf goaltending in Toronto with Reimer and Bernier without ever putting the blame on terrible defenseman like Gardiner and Phaneuf, becasue they were good offensivly. Now I know that people love Slavin and Pesce Faulk etc, but the highlights I watched darling is getting hung out.
That being said. He seems like he is weak with shots from the slot/faceoff dot area. There are quite a few he should've had as well.
I am looking at teh last ten games with Darling. Carolina GF 17. 1.7 goals per game. I don't care who you have in net if your team is not scoring you are going to find it difficult to win games.
Last ten with Ward. Carolina GF 36. More than twice as much. 3.6 goals a game will help you win games.
Now I look at Darlings first 10 games. 4-3-3. Four wins 16 goals a is 4 a game. HArd to loss when you score that many goals. That is virtually the support Ward has had the last 10.
3 regulations loses Darling had 2 goals against Winnipeg, the fourth best offensive team, 3(2 EN) against Tampa the most offensive team who were destoying it at the beginning of the year, and four against Dallas.
Lost 2-1 in overtime to Columbus, 2-1 in a shootout to Phoenix and 4-3 in a shootout to Anaheim.
I don't know what to say. He obviously isnt' an elite goalie. But I don't know if it is the coaching or what. He hasn't been very good. You need those goalies to make the big saves. Ive seen some where he is flopping all over the place along with the defense. There were goals that were scored that shouldn't have even been scoring chances becasue the defense left men wide open.
I am still happy that I drafted him. My team is destroying it. I have won four years in a row. and he is my third goalie so I am not concerned. Actually killing it with pools this year. First in one with over 100 and first in my other with over 50. lol. anyways. A little braggin ain't hurt nobody.
I still think team will turn it around. Although Hanifin is on pace for around 40 points, I think you guys expected more points from the back end this year. Unnacceptable that Faulk is on pace for around 20 points and Slavin less than what people expected. I don't know if their defensive game improved to counteract that or not. and yes, I understand you are allowing the least amount of shots per game.
I've been browsing the Canes forum here and it seems like Darling is the worst goalie ever, and people are giving up on him. Is it is confidence. He seems to have a few bad games that affect his GAA and SV. Last night against Boston. 8-1 against Leafs(why was he not pulled). A couple of 6 goal games. I wanted to see for myself. I just don't think he has been as bad as it seems on this board. Cheers

Last edited:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
^^You need to watch more clearly.

It would be awesome if someone could put a video together of all the terrible goals Darling has allowed. Seriously I think some of them were like the worst in Canes history (like the week he had a giant hole in his glove).
He has let in some bad ones. It's always the goalie who games blamed first. I went back and watched a lot of the goals. Using yesterday as an example. In the gdt everyone was all over darling. Ward let in two he should've had and darling was pretty much hung out to dry. Yet at the end it was darling who was the target. Maybe they need to watch more clearly.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He has let in some bad ones. It's always the goalie who games blamed first. I went back and watched a lot of the goals. Using yesterday as an example. In the gdt everyone was all over darling. Ward let in two he should've had and darling was pretty much hung out to dry. Yet at the end it was darling who was the target. Maybe they need to watch more clearly.

I think both our goalies suck. Bottom 3 tandem in the league. Does that help?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yes I do love it when fantasy hockey owners come in and tell us how we should be thinking about the players we watch nightly. Darling has been a seive this year, he routinely gives up the back breaking soft goals. This was no less than the 4th time he's put us in a deep hole early in a game this year. He's not NHL caliber this year. Doubt that changes anytime soon.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Darling was the target because he's been stringing together some consistently bad games. Ward has had a pretty great stretch of goaltending his last 10 or so games leading up to last night. If Ward starts struggling multiple games don't worry he will become a target, he's been one a long time for this team real already.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Counterpoint: you watched one f***ing game. We watch all of them. Maybe we know more about our goalie situation than you do.

Congrats on your awesome fantasy team though. Super impressive!

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Yes I do love it when fantasy hockey owners come in and tell us how we should be thinking about the players we watch nightly. Darling has been a seive this year, he routinely gives up the back breaking soft goals. This was no less than the 4th time he's put us in a deep hole early in a game this year. He's not NHL caliber this year. Doubt that changes anytime soon.
My reply was based on people taking in the bruins gdt knocking darling when clearly the team is out of position. Just because I have him in my fantasy pool doesn't mean I can't go back and look at the goals he allowed in and come to a conclusion. Yes. He's has let in some crappy goals. But many times the defense was not taking their man and was out of position, yet he gets blamed cuz he is he goalie.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I like how he is talking about Darling with such a confidence while watching some highlights and maybe a game or two all season long. I have seen every minute of him this season and he has been bad. If you want to know real situation read what @DaveG said. Your point is made only to justify your shit selection in fantasy league. We are talking about real life here, not your fantasy team.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Counterpoint: you watched one ****ing game. We watch all of them. Maybe we know more about our goalie situation than you do.

Congrats on your awesome fantasy team though. Super impressive!
I get I watched one game. But if you are blaming the goalie when the defense is culpable for one game maybe he isn't to blame as much as I think. Not saying he has been great but I don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be.
I have analyzed lots of the goals this year. Not just this game. And many the defense were to blame. But like I said people tend to blame goalies instead of looking at why the defense was out of position or left a guy wide open

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I like how he is talking about Darling with such a confidence while watching some highlights and maybe a game or two all season long. I have seen every minute of him this season and he has been bad. If you want to know real situation read what @DaveG said. Your point is made only to justify your **** selection in fantasy league. We are talking about real life here, not your fantasy team.
So because we watch highlights of players we can't make an assumption of what a player is like. Judging by that you can really only judge players in your own team. I have gone back and looked at virtually all of the goals he let in during his last 10 games. Is that not sufficient?

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
My reply was based on people taking in the bruins gdt knocking darling when clearly the team is out of position. Just because I have him in my fantasy pool doesn't mean I can't go back and look at the goals he allowed in and come to a conclusion. Yes. He's has let in some crappy goals. But many times the defense was not taking their man and was out of position, yet he gets blamed cuz he is he goalie.
Our defense being out of position happens to every team, every game and yet other goalies make a f***ing save. You need goalies that can make f***ing save when needed. He can't do that ATM and stop softies. His confidence is shot. He was given the chance to be the guy and he couldn't fill the expectation. Glad your fantasy team is doing well...

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Our defense being out of position happens to every team, every game and yet other goalies make a ****ing save. You need goalies that can make ****ing save when needed. He can't do that ATM and stop softies. His confidence is shot. He was given the chance to be the guy and he couldn't fill the expectation. Glad your fantasy team is doing well...
Thanks. I get it though. Obvious you guys watch more. I've gone back and watched a lot of the goals that were let in. It happens to Schneider all the time as well. I just look st the five goals he let in yesterday and it was all darlings fault. He should be bailing out the team. I know. But there were a bunch of goals that he really had no chance in as well.
I am just trying to say that maybe he isn't as bad as you guys make it seem. It's an observation not based on one game. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
So because we watch highlights of players we can't make an assumption of what a player is like. Judging by that you can really only judge players in your own team. I have gone back and looked at virtually all of the goals he let in during his last 10 games. Is that not sufficient?
No. That doesn`t tell you the whole story about his game at all. Stop justifying Darling`s actions, he has been shit this season. And get out with your - "You are not blaming your defense", we do blame them and a lot. But one thing is for sure, Darling has been bad. He has 1 good game, 5 below average to complete garbage games, and circle starts again. He can`t make a save when needed. He is not able to recover after shit goal, he just gives up. I have never seen a goalie that big look so small in the net (not always, but often). He is rebound control is shocking.
No one here is talking about that he is complete shit all career long, but particularly this season he is just shit. And if you can`t see past that, you are just deluded.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Your opinion is noted, as is your right to have it. Thanks ever so much for sharing.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I come in peace. :)

Alright I don't get it. I saw the youth in Carolina's defense and I jumped on Darling in my keeper league. I thought they were a playoff team this year. I wanted to try to see for myself what is going on. Just went back and watched a bunch of goals. Can't see too many goals passed the last ten. I have only watched a few Canes games on and off this year and he hasn't looked bad from what I have seen, be it only small samples.
Reading people on he boards in the bruins GDT blaming driving is laughable.
1st goal on darling looked like Bergeron was gonna shoot. Darling went down a little early but the one timer came across. Both Bergeron and Pasternak wide open. Tough to stop those.
2nd goal the team is chasing the bruins around. Redirection. Not many goalies can stop those.
3rd goal once again Bergeron left wide open and sniped a nice one time shot. Where is the coverage?
4th goal darling played the shooter and the puck. The defense let the guy walk right in and Bergeron left open for a juicy rebound to an open net. Darling was busy playing the shooter.
5th goal. Once again. Bergeron walks in and left all alone.
People complaining about darling really need to look at what happened during these plays.
Your defense was terrible last night.
This is my take on what I have seen the rest of the season/games/goals.
Not trying to take the onus off of Darling, but your defense was terrible on a lot of those. Out of position, leaving guys wide open. It reminds me of when everyone was all over the Leaf goaltending in Toronto with Reimer and Bernier without ever putting the blame on terrible defenseman like Gardiner and Phaneuf, becasue they were good offensivly. Now I know that people love Slavin and Pesce Faulk etc, but the highlights I watched darling is getting hung out.
That being said. He seems like he is weak with shots from the slot/faceoff dot area. There are quite a few he should've had as well.
I am looking at teh last ten games with Darling. Carolina GF 17. 1.7 goals per game. I don't care who you have in net if your team is not scoring you are going to find it difficult to win games.
Last ten with Ward. Carolina GF 36. More than twice as much. 3.6 goals a game will help you win games.
Now I look at Darlings first 10 games. 4-3-3. Four wins 16 goals a is 4 a game. HArd to loss when you score that many goals. That is virtually the support Ward has had the last 10.
3 regulations loses Darling had 2 goals against Winnipeg, the fourth best offensive team, 3(2 EN) against Tampa the most offensive team who were destoying it at the beginning of the year, and four against Dallas.
Lost 2-1 in overtime to Columbus, 2-1 in a shootout to Phoenix and 4-3 in a shootout to Anaheim.
I don't know what to say. He obviously isnt' an elite goalie. But I don't know if it is the coaching or what. He hasn't been very good. You need those goalies to make the big saves. Ive seen some where he is flopping all over the place along with the defense. There were goals that were scored that shouldn't have even been scoring chances becasue the defense left men wide open.
I am still happy that I drafted him. My team is destroying it. I have won four years in a row. and he is my third goalie so I am not concerned. Actually killing it with pools this year. First in one with over 100 and first in my other with over 50. lol. anyways. A little braggin ain't hurt nobody.
I still think team will turn it around. Although Hanifin is on pace for around 40 points, I think you guys expected more points from the back end this year. Unnacceptable that Faulk is on pace for around 20 points and Slavin less than what people expected. I don't know if their defensive game improved to counteract that or not. and yes, I understand you are allowing the least amount of shots per game.
I've been browsing the Canes forum here and it seems like Darling is the worst goalie ever, and people are giving up on him. Is it is confidence. He seems to have a few bad games that affect his GAA and SV. Last night against Boston. 8-1 against Leafs(why was he not pulled). A couple of 6 goal games. I wanted to see for myself. I just don't think he has been as bad as it seems on this board. Cheers

I read just long enough to figure out you had no clue what you were talking about, saw how much longer it was and stopped.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I don't know if I am more depressed over Darling's play or more depressed that they(Darli g, khudobin, Lack) did better on other teams thus implying that the Hurricanes suck. The struggle is real.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad