Leafs
Capitals
Sabres
I’m going to go….

Caps - Kuemper
Sabres - Gibson
Hawks - Campbell
Leafs - Blackwood and Martin Jones, w some Pickard on the side
Oilers - Holtby and Greiss as Holland goes all-in (in his own head) selling Holtby as that “Cup winning goaltender” they now have..

Its been widely reported, the Oilers were interested in Husso and think it’s fair to say, so were the Devils, as they reacted immediately after the Detroit/Husso trade and signing.

So Holland once again, loses out on his preferred signing because he procrastinated, felt he wouldn’t have competition, or flat out was to arrogant about it.

It’s always been his major flaw when it comes to addressing a weakness, holding onto an asset to long until there’s no takers, etc, etc. Just look back on the whole Osgood show (the first time around).

As a Leafs fan, in their case I don’t think it’s a “sleeping at the wheel” type thing but overlooking certain angles, not getting to creative… but mostly, subscribing to the old “Jimmy Devellano Goaltending Theory” (Holland also subscribes to)….. that you can win with average goalies, and money is better spent on skaters. Proven to work in many cases by 3 Cups in Detroit (Hasek was the other) and obviously Kuemper this year. Sakic also seems to be onboard with Jimmy D Goalie logic, after last summer, and again just yesterday… moving on from Kuemper rather than paying him.

So it’s nothing new for teams to choose this path. The problems start when they can’t see past the path and the Oilers and Leafs, to a lessor extent, seem to be doing just that.

So I’m not actually joking about Blackwood in the Leafs case. He’s actually a good fit for the Leafs. He’s “extra goaltender psychotic” … so he’ll block the media out and want to prove he’s what everyone thought a couple years ago.

Some goaltenders are extra psycho like Mrazek… where he so wants to be accepted and loved by the fans and the media, who’ve always embraced his aggressiveness, he lets expectations eat away at him, when things go wrong. Making him a horrible fit in TO.

Then there’s the Blackwood type, who have a built-in chip on their shoulder, play for their teammates and themselves, who are able to block out the background noise of the media. Those goalies work in Toronto.

The Leafs seem to be interested in making something happen in net now, after failing at the “Jimmy D” approach. There problem is finding the right fit now.

It’s Holland that needs to be fired, as he’s shown he will never change.. He’s a good guy but as an example, Detroit had the deepest, most in-depth scouts for years (still do throughout Ontario) and some of them used to tell us, they’d deliver detailed reports on players, thinking after awhile, Holland never read any of them when it came to high profile picks and acquisitions. Only relying on 2-3 opinions of certain development guys, who 2 of the 3 are working for the Oilers now btw.

Examples? Cholowski, Svechnikov, Brenden Smith and a few others are the evidence of high profile picks. While Shanahan, Chelios, Sandstrom, Hasek, Schneider, Lang and Quincey were trades… and then Joseph, Krupp and Ray Whitney as UFAs.

Every last person (scouts) was excited that Chychrun fell to the Wings except a certain advisor was in love with Cholowski and convinced Holland to trade down. Now, they did get Hronek with the extra 2nd they got in the trade but still, passing on JC was out-thinking yourself, and the Hronek pick was scout led, not the voice in Holland’s ear.

He did this same thing with Mantha, Svechnikov, McCollum, and Brenden Smith. Passing on prospects his scouts wanted, listening instead to his right hand. On only a couple of occasions did they agree over about a 15 year stretch. Dylan Larkin, Zadina and Mantha.

It’s crazy as this only really happened with their higher profile picks. The scouts got what they wanted, especially Andersson, in rounds 2-7. Explaining why Detroit missed on so many 1st rounders but hit on so many later round picks.

In trades, he was almost forced (at times) to make certain moves by Jimmy D, Bowman and even Mr Ilitch. He didn’t want to trade Keith Primeau for example, and to this day, nobody would’ve known the outcome of the Shamahan trade IF Holland was the full GM at that time. He loved Primeau and Coffey, but Bowman, Jimmy D and the owner basically negotiated the trade that brought the player who put them over the top.

He didn’t want Chelios, Tomas Sandstrom or Matthew Schneider. He had to be nudged to make those deals too.

On the flip side, he was determined to trade for Robert Lang and to re-acquire Kyle Quincey. Lang was good for the Wings but not great. Quincey was just moronic, costing them the pick that ended up being Vasilesky. Quincey was one of his guys though. That’s why we always joke about “Holland’s Guys” and we will see him continue to go back to that well in Edmonton. That’s why nobody should be surprised if Hronek is an Oiler in the coming weeks, Danny Dekeyser is given a one year deal, or Luke Glendening or Svechnikov find their way to Edmonton.

Then there’s the signings scouts fought against but Holland was adamant about. The Ray Whitney, Uwe Krupp types.

A high profile agent once joked with me at a hockey tournament, that Holland was his “Payday” every summer. This was the summer of 2001 if you want to connect dots.

He does the same thing with goaltenders. To the extent, he doesn’t even like drafting them. He is firmly committed to finding cheap, older goalies who are consistent.

It’s like he has Hasek/Joseph PTSD.

Hasek fell in his lap (only team Hasek would allow trade to), and Bowman, Jimmy D and Illitch got involved to make him do it. He was fine with keeping Osgood.

He waited so long to move Osgood because he didn’t like the return, he ended up basically giving him to the Isles, as other teams moved on from pursuing a deal. Sound familiar these days? Puljujarvi?

Then there was the Joseph fiasco. Holland panicked after Hasek won the Cup in 02’, didn’t have his boy Osgood anymore, so he went all-in on Curtis Joseph.

The one time he went hard after a UFA goalie it turned into a 2 year fiasco.

Hence the Goalie PTSD. Holland didn’t want to trade Osgood, felt he was forced to, then blames that on him having to sign Joseph and the drama it all caused when Hasek returned, etc.

It’s literally why he doesn’t like rocking the boat in net.

Let’s not even bring up the Uwe Krupp saga, or Holland’s inability to turn even ONE Detroit vet into prospects and picks when everyone knew it was time to tear it down and rebuild.

If you worked in the Scouting, Development, or even in the player agent community in the 90s and 2000s, especially in Ontario where there’s still independent Scouting contractor types, who are still in the game, everyone knew and joked about Holland.

It’s on the Oilers for not knowing this. I’m not sure there’s any voices in that front office to push him like some in Detroit did, but they need to move on before it goes south. Not only because that voice he took to Edmonton is in the building , but Holland himself is petrified to make mistakes. You have to be aggressive today. He’s just not. He’s to loyal and afraid to make mistakes.

That’s how Holland runs things.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Guess what?

Kuemper wasn’t pretty either and he’s going to cost 3x more

Blues gave them permission to talk to Husso.
That’s pretty regular

You think kuemper will cost 3 x more than Campbell?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think he'd play well in Edmonton. He's a lot better when he faces a lot of pucks, kind of like Varlamov that way.

Plus he played this post season with 1 eye, if not for that he'd be a lot better imo.

Reactions: DieselBoy

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Eye test proved otherwise. Also, he’s another year older and separated from those performances.
He did have a rough playoffs, where he was battling through some injuries. I don't think your "weak link" comment is uncalled for exactly, but I also don't know if suggesting that Kuemper's playoff run play is his standard play either.

Reactions: Hennessy

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
He did have a rough playoffs, where he was battling through some injuries. I don't think your "weak link" comment is uncalled for exactly, but I also don't know if suggesting that Kuemper's playoff run play is his standard play either.
I think you’re getting your comments mixed up. I never said he was a weak link.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Kuemper has been a top 10 goalie in the NHL for the last few years. His rough playoff coincides with his eye injury (seems like it may be important to be able to see adequately to play goalie).

Goaltending is voodoo - but in terms of track record, Kuemper is the best goalie available by quite a large margin.

I'd be wary of giving him a big deal only because we've seen the variance in goaltending - but if you have to give it to someone, hes one of the better options to give it to.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Kuemper has been a top 10 goalie in the NHL for the last few years. His rough playoff coincides with his eye injury (seems like it may be important to be able to see adequately to play goalie).

Goaltending is voodoo - but in terms of track record, Kuemper is the best goalie available by quite a large margin.

I'd be wary of giving him a big deal only because we've seen the variance in goaltending - but if you have to give it to someone, hes one of the better options to give it to.

His performance issues and inconsistency were present for a few weeks prior to his eye injury. He started off the season struggling, went on a hot streak for two or three months, then became highly erratic again.

He is 32 and has been prone to injury. I like him and I hope the best for him wherever he goes, but buyer beware.

Reactions: AslanRH

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
His performance issues and inconsistency were present for a few weeks prior to his eye injury. He started off the season struggling, went on a hot streak for two or three months, then became highly erratic again.

He is 32 and has been prone to injury. I like him and I hope the best for him wherever he goes, but buyer beware.
Everyone on the Avs started sucking the last weeks. We get it, you have a hate boner for Kuemper

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Everyone on the Avs started sucking the last weeks. We get it, you have a hate boner for Kuemper

It is not dislike. He is simply erratic at times. I don't believe that even his most ardent supporters can argue otherwise.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I’m going to go….

Caps - Kuemper
Sabres - Gibson
Hawks - Campbell
Oilers - Holtby and Greiss as Holland goes all-in (in his own head) selling Holtby as that “Cup winning goaltender” they now have..

Its been widely reported, the Oilers were interested in Husso and think it’s fair to say, so were the Devils, as they reacted immediately after the Detroit/Husso trade and signing.

So Holland once again, loses out on his preferred signing because he procrastinated, felt he wouldn’t have competition, or flat out was to arrogant about it.

It’s always been his major flaw when it comes to addressing a weakness, holding onto an asset to long until there’s no takers, etc, etc. Just look back on the whole Osgood show (the first time around).

As a Leafs fan, in their case I don’t think it’s a “sleeping at the wheel” type thing but overlooking certain angles, not getting to creative… but mostly, subscribing to the old “Jimmy Devellano Goaltending Theory” (Holland also subscribes to)….. that you can win with average goalies, and money is better spent on skaters. Proven to work in many cases by 3 Cups in Detroit (Hasek was the other) and obviously Kuemper this year. Sakic also seems to be onboard with Jimmy D Goalie logic, after last summer, and again just yesterday… moving on from Kuemper rather than paying him.

So it’s nothing new for teams to choose this path. The problems start when they can’t see past the path and the Oilers and Leafs, to a lessor extent, seem to be doing just that.

So I’m not actually joking about Blackwood in the Leafs case. He’s actually a good fit for the Leafs. He’s “extra goaltender psychotic” … so he’ll block the media out and want to prove he’s what everyone thought a couple years ago.

Some goaltenders are extra psycho like Mrazek… where he so wants to be accepted and loved by the fans and the media, who’ve always embraced his aggressiveness, he lets expectations eat away at him, when things go wrong. Making him a horrible fit in TO.

Then there’s the Blackwood type, who have a built-in chip on their shoulder, play for their teammates and themselves, who are able to block out the background noise of the media. Those goalies work in Toronto.

The Leafs seem to be interested in making something happen in net now, after failing at the “Jimmy D” approach. There problem is finding the right fit now.

It’s Holland that needs to be fired, as he’s shown he will never change.. He’s a good guy but as an example, Detroit had the deepest, most in-depth scouts for years (still do throughout Ontario) and some of them used to tell us, they’d deliver detailed reports on players, thinking after awhile, Holland never read any of them when it came to high profile picks and acquisitions. Only relying on 2-3 opinions of certain development guys, who 2 of the 3 are working for the Oilers now btw.

Examples? Cholowski, Svechnikov, Brenden Smith and a few others are the evidence of high profile picks. While Shanahan, Chelios, Sandstrom, Hasek, Schneider, Lang and Quincey were trades… and then Joseph, Krupp and Ray Whitney as UFAs.

Every last person (scouts) was excited that Chychrun fell to the Wings except a certain advisor was in love with Cholowski and convinced Holland to trade down. Now, they did get Hronek with the extra 2nd they got in the trade but still, passing on JC was out-thinking yourself, and the Hronek pick was scout led, not the voice in Holland’s ear.

He did this same thing with Mantha, Svechnikov, McCollum, and Brenden Smith. Passing on prospects his scouts wanted, listening instead to his right hand. On only a couple of occasions did they agree over about a 15 year stretch. Dylan Larkin, Zadina and Mantha.

It’s crazy as this only really happened with their higher profile picks. The scouts got what they wanted, especially Andersson, in rounds 2-7. Explaining why Detroit missed on so many 1st rounders but hit on so many later round picks.

In trades, he was almost forced (at times) to make certain moves by Jimmy D, Bowman and even Mr Ilitch. He didn’t want to trade Keith Primeau for example, and to this day, nobody would’ve known the outcome of the Shamahan trade IF Holland was the full GM at that time. He loved Primeau and Coffey, but Bowman, Jimmy D and the owner basically negotiated the trade that brought the player who put them over the top.

He didn’t want Chelios, Tomas Sandstrom or Matthew Schneider. He had to be nudged to make those deals too.

On the flip side, he was determined to trade for Robert Lang and to re-acquire Kyle Quincey. Lang was good for the Wings but not great. Quincey was just moronic, costing them the pick that ended up being Vasilesky. Quincey was one of his guys though. That’s why we always joke about “Holland’s Guys” and we will see him continue to go back to that well in Edmonton. That’s why nobody should be surprised if Hronek is an Oiler in the coming weeks, Danny Dekeyser is given a one year deal, or Luke Glendening or Svechnikov find their way to Edmonton.

Then there’s the signings scouts fought against but Holland was adamant about. The Ray Whitney, Uwe Krupp types.

A high profile agent once joked with me at a hockey tournament, that Holland was his “Payday” every summer. This was the summer of 2001 if you want to connect dots.

He does the same thing with goaltenders. To the extent, he doesn’t even like drafting them. He is firmly committed to finding cheap, older goalies who are consistent.

Hasek fell in his lap (only team Hasek would allow trade to), and Bowman, Jimmy D and Illitch got involved to make him do it. He was fine with keeping Osgood.

He waited so long to move Osgood because he didn’t like the return, he ended up basically giving him to the Isles, as other teams moved on from pursuing a deal. Sound familiar these days? Puljujarvi?

Then there was the Joseph fiasco. Holland panicked after Hasek won the Cup in 02’, didn’t have his boy Osgood anymore, so he went all-in on Curtis Joseph.

Hence the Goalie PTSD. Holland didn’t want to trade Osgood, felt he was forced to, then blames that on him having to sign Joseph and the drama it all caused when Hasek returned, etc.

Let’s not even bring up the Uwe Krupp saga, or Holland’s inability to turn even ONE Detroit vet into prospects and picks when everyone knew it was time to tear it down and rebuild.

If you worked in the Scouting, Development, or even in the player agent community in the 90s and 2000s, especially in Ontario where there’s still independent Scouting contractor types, who are still in the game, everyone knew and joked about Holland.

It’s on the Oilers for not knowing this. I’m not sure there’s any voices in that front office to push him like some in Detroit did, but they need to move on before it goes south. Not only because that voice he took to Edmonton is in the building , but Holland himself is petrified to make mistakes. You have to be aggressive today. He’s just not. He’s to loyal and afraid to make mistakes.

you ok?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
best of a bad lot? What other UFA goalie or rumored available G would you rate ahead of him?

All of the potential UFA goalies and goalies just traded (or those on the trade market) have question marks. No sure thing. If any of them were a sure thing, they would be locked up long term by their respective teams.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
All of the potential UFA goalies and goalies just traded (or those on the trade market) have question marks. No sure thing. If any of them were a sure thing, they would be locked up long term by their respective teams.
Right, so if you need one the best option would be Kuemper right? I feel like the smarter teams traded for goalies instead of dealing with this.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m going to go….

Caps - Kuemper
Sabres - Gibson
Hawks - Campbell

Ignoring…most of this…

Buffalo won’t even bother going after Gibson with 5 years left. Their entire purpose is to have no term on whoever they bring in. He’s signed 3 years longer than they’re interested in

Reactions: Umingmak

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Let me say this one more time.

You do not have Makar, Byram, Toews on defense.

Kuemper was easily the weak link of Colorado
Kuemper put up better regular season numbers with the bottom dweller Coyotes, years back. For his whole playoff career, his numbers are not so good. I might add, didn't Markstrom look shaky in these playoffs, after having a very good regular season...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I understand that as a free agent, Kuemper can be acquired strictly for cash, whereas John Gibson would require trade pieces to bring in, but I still think the Maple Leafs would be *much* better off targeting Gibson rather than Kuemper.

I don't think Kuemper is the answer for the Leafs at all.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Pretty simple….. if He was worth more than 3 million he would have been signed already by Joe sakic. He’s gonna get paid more than that because some desperate gm had the illusion they are smarter than Joe.

Reactions: Umingmak

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
With so many teams needing a goalie and so few options, im stunned no one has traded for his rights yet.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I understand that as a free agent, Kuemper can be acquired strictly for cash, whereas John Gibson would require trade pieces to bring in, but I still think the Maple Leafs would be *much* better off targeting Gibson rather than Kuemper.

I don't think Kuemper is the answer for the Leafs at all.

Kuemper has been better than Gibson the last few seasons only cost $$$. Trade would require at least Sandin, Robertson, 1st or Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad