Confirmed with Link: Danny DeKeyser re-signed 6 years 30 million

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I said it in the other thread, but it seems like a lot for a guy who doesn't play offense. That said, he's one of our two best defensemen, and it's not a bad contract into the future. No complaints from me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said it in the other thread, but it seems like a lot for a guy who doesn't play offense. That said, he's one of our two best defensemen, and it's not a bad contract into the future. No complaints from me.

Play offense? Or provide offense?

He's actually a pretty solid ES contributor.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Im fine with the deal. One thing I cant believe is we have one of the most expensive D cores in the league. Just quick checking only Montreal and Calgary were more

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
So assuming the following - which all seem extremely likely at the moment:

1) Mantha and AA get sent down to GR because they are waiver exempt
2) Franzen/Vitale on LTIR
3) Ouellet is brough up as the 7th D
4) Sproul is not resigned
5) Frk is exposed

Splitting the difference of Mzarek and the Wings demands and set him at an arbitrated $3.5M for the season

That leaves the Wings with the following:

14 Forwards/7 Defense/2 Goalies = 23 Roster Players at a combined cap hit of $72,382,498 once the LTIR's are moved.

So under the $73M of the cap - so there is no financial pressure to make a trade? Am I reading this right?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can only hope that this huge contract, combined with Mrazek not even being paid yet and already being over the cap leads to some sort of trade.

Remember 2013 when we didn't have the cap space to call up players? I think that is what we are looking at again here.

5) Frk is exposed

Splitting the difference of Mzarek and the Wings demands and set him at an arbitrated $3.5M for the season

14 Forwards/7 Defense/2 Goalies = 23 Roster Players at a combined cap hit of $72,382,498 once the LTIR's are moved.

So under the $73M of the cap - so there is no financial pressure to make a trade? Am I reading this right?

Knowing Holland, I'd say that is exactly the plan.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Im fine with the deal. One thing I cant believe is we have one of the most expensive D cores in the league. Just quick checking only Montreal and Calgary were more

Expect Anaheim and Winnipeg will be more expensive when they wrap up their rfas.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

5) Frk is exposed

Don't they have to be under the cap before the moves to LTIR?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010

I don't believe so - I think it's a 10% overage in the off-season which gives them a cushion of $7.3M to play in the offseason, but following the moves to the LTIR at the beginning of the season, the need to be under the $73M cap. Which they would be given the math I just did taking in those assumptions.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Length: a little iffy to me but that's just me. I don't like contracts that go past 5 years.

Meh.

For the first time in forever it's a deal that ends when the player isn't 50 years old. It's pretty much his prime years as a defenseman.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Play offense? Or provide offense?

He's actually a pretty solid ES contributor.

Provide/generate offense, I guess was more my thinking. Mike Green, for instance, generates offense (when Blash actually puts him in position to do so). DDK isn't a bad player, but he's not a great passer, and he's not a particularly good set up man, which is fine; if we had anyone with any ability on our top pair, that wouldn't matter so much. I'm also not sure he's a solid ES contributor, 20 points isn't really all that exciting from a guy who's ostensibly one of your top two defensemen.

But again, it's only momentary pause. I have no issue with the contract, and I'm happy DDK will be back. If we give him a more offensive partner, I think he's a great defensive defenseman.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think a $4M AAV player just got paid $5M, but compared to several other contacts, it's not much to complain about.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Provide/generate offense, I guess was more my thinking. Mike Green, for instance, generates offense (when Blash actually puts him in position to do so). DDK isn't a bad player, but he's not a great passer, and he's not a particularly good set up man, which is fine; if we had anyone with any ability on our top pair, that wouldn't matter so much. I'm also not sure he's a solid ES contributor, 20 points isn't really all that exciting from a guy who's ostensibly one of your top two defensemen.

But again, it's only momentary pause. I have no issue with the contract, and I'm happy DDK will be back. If we give him a more offensive partner, I think he's a great defensive defenseman.

Well, I have said, and will continue to say, we need to find a better defenseman than Dekeyser to add to this franchise. Dekeyser is not a #1 defenseman (no #1 defenseman ever was a non-factor/not involved in the PP), and I hope people don't expect him to become one just because he got a new deal. We still need to either develop one, or acquire one.

Dekeyser is good at ES, he is mobile and while not flashy, gets the puck out of our zone pretty efficiently. I think he has led our backend in ES points 2 of the last 3 years, if I'm not mistaken. He should log big ES and PK minutes for us over the next 6 years. Glad to have him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Pretty much what i thought, 6 years $30 million. Hit this one on the head here. Still see Mrazek getting at least 2 years $9 million especially seeing that Vasilevskiy got $3.75 million for 3 years starting in the 2017/18 season and Mrazek numbers are definitely better right now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He strikes me as the next Brad Stuart (during his useful years). Steady, but not a #1.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah they do need to be cap compliant the first day of the season and then they can put guys on LTIR. We don't play the first day so it will be mostly superficial moves like probably "assigning" Dylan Larkin to GR and then bringing him up on day 2 when we have our first game.

I still can't believe this roster is in a cap crunch. :shakehead

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

5) Frk is exposed

If Mrazek gets close to $5 million per and it could happen, Detroit would be close to $6 million over the cap. And i think Holland could be given a 2nd buy out then like the Rangers received. So i think moves might have to be made here. You've to be cap compliant before you can put players on LTIR. So you need to be right at the cap or slightly under.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
As everybody else, the deal is fine. Certainly didn't pull one over on Danny here.

As for having one of the most expensive D cores, it's gotta be the most expensive for the value they are providing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad