Denmark: Danish U18 WC roster.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Tournament will be played in Italy (Asiago) the 7-13'th of April.

Goalies:
George Sørensen (Herning)
Frederik Hansen (Gentofte)
Thomas Lillie (Vojens)

D-men:
Mads Larsen (Malmö)
Victor Eskerod (Gentofte)
Daniel Nielsen (Hvidovre)
Anders Krogsgaard (Esbjerg)
Sonny Hertzberg (Frölunda)
Jeppe Vinther (Frederikshavn)
Mathias Lassen (Rødovre)

Forwards:
Mikkel Aagaard (Frederikshavn)
Marcus Nielsen (Malmö)
Christian Kristiansen (Rögle)
Mattias Asperup (Hvidovre)
Emil Rasmussen (Rødovre)
Andre Pison Stærmose (Minnesota Flying Aces, NA3HL)
Nikolaj Ehlers (Biel)
Thomas Olsen (Frölunda)
Nick Olesen (Bofors)
Frederik Bjerrum (Esbjerg)
Søren Dau (SønderjyskE)
Mads Eller (Frölunda)
Markus Jensen (Herning)

With George Sørensen in goal and a seemingly solid defence it looks better on the defensive side for a danish youth-team than usual.
With Nikolaj Ehlers and also Mads Eller and Mattias Asperup the forward group also looks great!

I think there is a real chance they can get back to the elite division.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Tournament will be played in Italy (Asiago) the 7-13'th of April.

Goalies:
George Sørensen (Herning)
Frederik Hansen (Gentofte)
Thomas Lillie (Vojens)

D-men:
Mads Larsen (Malmö)
Victor Eskerod (Gentofte)
Daniel Nielsen (Hvidovre)
Anders Krogsgaard (Esbjerg)
Sonny Hertzberg (Frölunda)
Jeppe Vinther (Frederikshavn)
Mathias Lassen (Rødovre)

Forwards:
Mikkel Aagaard (Frederikshavn)
Marcus Nielsen (Malmö)
Christian Kristiansen (Rögle)
Mattias Asperup (Hvidovre)
Emil Rasmussen (Rødovre)
Andre Pison Stærmose (Minnesota Flying Aces, NA3HL)
Nikolaj Ehlers (Biel)
Thomas Olsen (Frölunda)
Nick Olesen (Bofors)
Frederik Bjerrum (Esbjerg)
Søren Dau (SønderjyskE)
Mads Eller (Frölunda)
Markus Jensen (Herning)

With George Sørensen in goal and a seemingly solid defence it looks better on the defensive side for a danish youth-team than usual.
With Heinz Ehlers and also Mads Eller and Mattias Asperup the forward group also looks great!

I think their is a real chance they can get back to the elite division.

Heinz has really aged well if he can still play in the U18.:sarcasm:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Who are the likely leaders for this team? Nikolaj Ehlers is the obvious one,but who else?

Hard to know who are the best leaders....
Should generally be a player that always works hard and can be respected by all. On danish youth teams there is generally a big gap between best and the rest.
It's easier to say who are already established prospects. I simply don't know about their personality to judge that question.

Off course Nikolaj Ehlers will be hugely respected for his talent and accomplishments, but in the end it's all up to the coach!

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hard to know who are the best leaders....
Should generally be a player that always works hard and can be respected by all. On danish youth teams there is generally a big gap between best and the rest.
It's easier to say who are already established prospects. I simply don't know about their personality to judge that question.

Off course Nikolaj Ehlers will be hugely respected for his talent and accomplishments, but in the end it's all up to the coach!

Well what i mean was,points leaders you know the ones who could make-or-break the important games :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well what i mean was,points leaders you know the ones who could make-or-break the important games :D

Beside the obvious choice Nikolaj Ehlers, I think Matthias Asperup could produce a lot as he had done on the NT (both U18 and U20) so far.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Beside the obvious choice Nikolaj Ehlers, I think Matthias Asperup could produce a lot as he had done on the NT (both U18 and U20) so far.

Also it will be interesting to see who has better point totals after u-18
Bukarts or Ehlers? :laugh: (ofcourse its completley different level,but still) :D

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah....Ehlers should definitely be expected to produce more.

Although when they played against each other... :laugh: No,but seriously both these guys are good,they just need to keep improving and whats important for both of `em,gain muscle as you can`t make yourself grow faster,but you can gain mass!

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Norways roster doesn't look all that bad, and much better than in previous tournaments leading up to these games. New additions are Sander Borozcky South Kent Prep (a pretty good team), and Jens Henrik Tønjum U20 Superelit and they should have a couple of pretty good lines offensively. A bit surprised that D Sæteraas (Brynas U18) who had a good season didn't make the final cut. This tournament will probably come down to goaltendning where Denmark has a clear edge over Norway. None of the 95 / 96 goalies are anywhere near what Denmark has, and unless Lysenstoen (Norwegian former national goalie and now goalie Coach for U18) can make some last days impact, Denmark and Belarus will be fighting it out with Denmark as a favourite. But then again, if it all comes down to the final game with Norway vs Denmark, Norway has history on it's side.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Norways roster doesn't look all that bad, and much better than in previous tournaments leading up to these games. New additions are Sander Borozcky South Kent Prep (a pretty good team), and Jens Henrik Tønjum U20 Superelit and they should have a couple of pretty good lines offensively. A bit surprised that D Sæteraas (Brynas U18) who had a good season didn't make the final cut. This tournament will probably come down to goaltendning where Denmark has a clear edge over Norway. None of the 95 / 96 goalies are anywhere near what Denmark has, and unless Lysenstoen (Norwegian former national goalie and now goalie Coach for U18) can make some last days impact, Denmark and Belarus will be fighting it out with Denmark as a favourite. But then again, if it all comes down to the final game with Norway vs Denmark, Norway has history on it's side.

DING DING DING DING....

THIS!!!

It's always this with Norway, and I wont rid of my sceptisism untill I see otherwise...

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Lines in the 2-1 win against Bern:

Wings:
André Stærmose-Thomas Olsen
Nikolaj Ehlers-Mads Eller
Emil Rasmussen-N. Olesen
Søren Dau-Rasmus Bjerring

Centers: Markus Nielsen, M. Jensen, Gorm Topholt

D-pairings:

M. Larsen-D. Nielsen
Hertzberg-Troels Vinther
Eskerod-Krogsgaard

3 players was out... By my count Mathias Lassen and Asperup was two of them.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lines in the 2-1 win against Bern:

Wings:
André Stærmose-Thomas Olsen
Nikolaj Ehlers-Mads Eller
Emil Rasmussen-N. Olesen
Søren Dau-Rasmus Bjerring

Centers: Markus Nielsen, M. Jensen, Gorm Topholt

D-pairings:

M. Larsen-D. Nielsen
Hertzberg-Troels Vinther
Eskerod-Krogsgaard

3 players was out... By my count Mathias Lassen and Asperup was two of them.

For Denmark's chances we really need a Matthias Asperup in form. 6G 3A in 7 U18 NT matches this year! After the Biel match he is only surpassed by Nikolaj Ehlers that now has 4G 6A for the U18 NT in 8 matches.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
For Denmark's chances we really need a Matthias Asperup in form. 6G 3A in 7 U18 NT matches this year! After the Biel match he is only surpassed by Nikolaj Ehlers that now has 4G 6A for the U18 NT in 8 matches.

I'm pretty sure I read that Asperup is out for the tournament, which is gonna seriously hurt Denmarks chances. Earlier today Denmark lost 5-0 to the Swiss U18 team in the last game before the tournaments starts.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Denmark narrowly won their first game today over Belarus 3-2 in the shootout. Nikolaj Ehlers and Markus Jensen both with 2 points, and Ehlers got the shootout goal as well.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Any word on Lassen? He had a great playoff playing on the 2nd pairing so I had some hopes for a good tournament from his side...

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Denmark won their 2nd match against France 5-1, with goalie George Sørensen scoring the final EN goal.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Looks like it's going to be Denmark vs Norway for the promotion. It's like deja vu all over again. :)

Wait for Denmark to dominate Norway and still loose... Like always..

I just KNOW it'l happen again....

Too add to that:

I don't what it is with Norway, their team is not all that impressive, but they always seem to impress.
I don't know if Norway are MEGA effective or we are ineffective.

Denmark-Belarus - We win 3-2 in OT we fire off 37 SOG.

Norway-Belarus - Game not done, Norway up 5-2 with only 28 SOG.

Denmark-Slovenia - 3-0 Denmark we fire off 57 SOG!!!!!

Norway-Slovenia - 7-3 Norway win they fire off 43 SOG.

Only game where we were just a little effective was our 5-1 win over france where we got off 40 SOG.

Norway also beat France, but 3-2 and got off for once more shots than us with 45SOG.

Norway also beat Italy 12-1 letting of 44SOG.

I am really almost certain that it's be between us and Norway, and that we might have control all game, but they will end up winning it..
Is the Norway team full of snipers? Or are we Idiots at shootingthe puck

Last edited:

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
It's quite striking this SOG differerence between the teams. Danmark appears a bit inefficient. Watched most of the game against Slovenia. Almost the entire game in the Slovenia end - and only 3-0.

The Norwegians have been playing better and better after a really slow start against France and Slovenia. Norway seem to have a pretty well balanced team with many producing players, and although Denmark has a clear goalie advantage, the difference is less severe than I though going in to the tournament.
Sander Berg (HV 71 U18 / back up on U20) is (surprisingly) the first pick and has been playing almost perfect.

Mathias Nørstebø D (Brynas - U18 - U20 and SEL) played his first game today and will be an impact player, while Rønnild (Brynas U18) propably is sidelined in the final game due to major penalty today.

Once again a probable matchup between Norway and Denmark for the top spot, and in these games Norway tend to win regardless of talent.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
As predicted, Denmark vs. Norway in the final.. A victory is required for both.

Norway has one more p as they have won all their games in regulation.

Have we been to confident? I was sure Norways team was worse than ours, and not at all that good. We have allot of trouble scoring. Watched the game yesterday, and as against Slovenia most of the game was in their zone. We have allot of players that carry the puck well, but forget to pass and some that don't shoot enough.. At least not from a distance.

We don't have any snipers or decent shots imo. All the goals in the Italy game, were ugly goals around the crease.. And you cant win a WC like that..

We coulda' really used a guy like Björkstrand, has a great shot imo.

Norway may have a worse team on paper, but they sure have made it work..
Looks like they have a few great snipers and shots. Only thing im confident about is Denmarks Goalie and our D core which has been strong this year.

But, im sure Norway are going to promote.. Im sure Denmark will be the better team with more SOG and more time on attack. but Norway will just find a way like they always do..

Will never forget the U20 WC where Denmark leads the WHOLE game, Norway tie the game just before the end.. They go to OT, Denmark bombards Norways net with no luck.. Norway get ONE SHOT OFF in the WHOLE OT and score, win and promote ;)

It's like all their collective hate for Denmark gathers when we play :D I remember when Denmark played Norway in the Euro Soccer Qual, the rhetorics from Norway were suprisingly racist and very angry, whilst it was a bit more jokey and fun in Denmark.. Before I moved to Denmark, I always thought it was Denmark vs. Sweden.. But boy oh boy have I learned the hard way, that Norwegians "don't like" Danes :D

I remember before I became a member and used to read these forums back in 2003 or 4 and Denmark had just promoted to the A groups. I read a thread where all the Swedes were happy about it and congratulating the Danes, and all the Norwegians were like, to hell with Denmark, we don't want them here.. And you could genuinely feel they ment it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad