Denmark: Danish Prospects

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I don't know why Nikita Antonovs plays in Denmark, but I suppose his parents moved here. I first noticed him a half a year ago and I was puzzled when eliteprospects had him as a danish player born year 2000. :)

This.....

I know a couple of Latvians living in Copenhagen and have met several of their friends here also. There are quite big a baltic community living in Copenhagen for work and education purposes. Very friendly people that knows how to drink. Even the girls can follow me to the end when I go full suicide drunk crazy....and they love to talk hockey too :)

Bottom line, it would be surprise me if there werent more latvian kids playing in danish clubs, considering how hockey is their religion :handclap:

Edit: I wouldnt mind scooping up a talent or two every year when the parents decides to stay for good.

Last edited:

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
David Madsen will be in Cedar Rapids camp this week and also another Dane from the Vojens U20 team, Daniel Nielsen will be as well

Last edited:

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
If you could give us some info about how he looks that would be great, thank you. :cheers:

David looked ok yesterday in camp. In a league where you are going against the top USA talent, he doesnt have the body to play here yet. Sounding like he has committed to a prep school in Canada for next year.

Daniel Nielsen was the better of the two. He is a '98 but very small. With his stature, he wasnt backing down to anyone though. I dont know his intentions for next year

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
David looked ok yesterday in camp. In a league where you are going against the top USA talent, he doesnt have the body to play here yet. Sounding like he has committed to a prep school in Canada for next year.

Daniel Nielsen was the better of the two. He is a '98 but very small. With his stature, he wasnt backing down to anyone though. I dont know his intentions for next year

Thank you for the information.

It was kind of expected that David Madsen probably isn't ready for USHL just yet, specially in the physical department.
Daniel Nielsen on the other hand is a top prospect. He is rather small, but has a strong body and should be talented enough to hold his own even in the USHL. Actually, if everything pans out right; he gets bigger, he takes his hockey to the next level, he plays in a league that is much scouted (like the USHL) etc. I wouldn't rule out he could be the first Vojens player that gets drafted to the NHL.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Not a bad career choice. He wasn't going to make it to the NHL, so might as well get closer to home, and likely with a better salary too, at least down the road. In Allsvenskan he should become a leading player, especially for a team as bad as AIK was last season. Also good for the NT that he is 'safe' every year now.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Jonas Røndbjerg - The modest super talent

There is an informative article about Jonas Røndbjerg on the homepage of Rungsted Ishockey. You can find it here.

To those not familiar with him; he is one of the most promising Danish junior players since Nikolaj Ehlers. He is born in 1999 and will be eligible for the 2017 NHL draft.

It is in danish but the main points are:

Modest, likeable, smiling and hardworking.
He was rather small when he had his debut in the best Danish league last year (September 2014) with a height of 171 cm (5'7") and a weight of 71 kg (156 lbs.). Now (June 2015) he is 184 cm (6') and 80 kg (176 lbs.).
Coach Olaf Eller (yes, father to Habs player Lars Eller) says; "I have sat and looked at his test results, and he could well be one that takes a huge leap forward in the coming season".
Co-coach Per Holten Møller: "He has the whole package. Proficient offensively and skilled on the defense. Good attitude and hardworking, and he should just work on being more decisive when he finishes".

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Sounds like Røndbjerg has a great attitude. I'm impressed with how much he has grown, and not just in height, his weight has followed too. He grew 13 cm in less than a year, you have to wonder how tall he'll be when he stops growing.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Sounds like Røndbjerg has a great attitude. I'm impressed with how much he has grown, and not just in height, his weight has followed too. He grew 13 cm in less than a year, you have to wonder how tall he'll be when he stops growing.

I'm always worried about the size of our prospects, because it is such an important factor to get success at the highest levels.
It has been my impression that the Røndbjerg brothers were on the small size, but thankfully it seems they both have reached a height I would consider sufficient (the data for both in eliteprospects are not updated). What they grow from now will just be a bonus.
Like you I'm also impressed with how much weight Jonas has managed to gain within a year. He seems very determined.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
In the CHL import draft Joakim Blichfeld was picked by Halifax, and Christian Mieritz by Hamilton. It will be interesting to see if they sign there. Blichfeld is good, but he might be a bit of a disappointment if the Halifax fans expects a new Ehlers.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The first dane drafted was Niklas Andersen, Esbjerg, who was taken as no. 26 by Spokane.

Congratulation to the 3. :handclap:

I don't know if any of them will go, or if any of them will benefit from playing in the CHL, but now they got the chance at least.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Totally missed Niklas. He might have the biggest chance of going, considering he was picked in the first round, so Spokane might already have a deal with him.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Andreas Kikkenborg, Daniel Gram & Søren Larsen to Olofströms J18/J20 team.

Simon Bergsagel to Grums J18 team.

Rasmus T. Andersson from Malmö J20 to HV71 J20.

Lukas Nielsen to Zug J17.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The dansh U16 national team 2015-16

The dansh U16 national team will be partcipating in a 3 nation tournament in Zuchwil (SUI) from 21/8 to 23/8 2015. They will play 3 games against Germany U16 and Switzerland U16 Red and White.

This is the roster:

Goaltender:
William Kølln, Rungsted
Mads Søgaard, Aalborg
David Grubak, Herlev

Defense:
Max V. Olesen, Herlev
Marco Petersen, Vojens
Gustav Dichow, Vojens
Christoffer Frænell, Rødovre
Jonas Krogsgaarg, Esbjerg
Patrick Møller, Rungsted
Bertram Jelert, Rungsted
Phillip Petersen, Rødovre

Forwards:
Oliver True, Rungsted
Gustav Green, Rungsted
William Nistrup, Rungsted
Sebastian Sørensen, Rødovre
Phillip Schultz, Rødovre
Frederik Kaels, Rødovre
Emil Bredvig, Herning
Mikkel Pedersen, Herning
Christoffer Ã…kesson, Aalborg
Jonas Jakobsen, Aalborg
Lukas B. Nielsen, Zug (SUI)
Victor Cubars, Hvidovre
Simon Golbert, Herlev
Niklas Jensen, Herlev

This years U16 roster consist of players born in year 2000. Normally the Danish Hockey Association never use national teams below U16, but actually the year 2000 born players were assembled 4 years ago when they participated in a U13 tournament in Russia and did well. I am looking much forward to how good the players are now compared to the best players from Germany and Switzerland.

I am sure the coach has selected the best team possible, but I am still surprised that there wasn't room on the roster for the following 3 forwards:
Andreas Kleist Christiansen, Esbjerg
Mads Stephansen, Vojens
Mikkel Bertelsen, Frederikshavn

Besides that this team looks rather solid; goaltending is strong with Mads Søgaard as the big profile, but all 3 goaltenders are good. Defense is fair with no real stand out players, but I could be wrong in this regard though. There is a lot of depth on the forward position, maybe even more than on last years U16 team, but I am missing a prospect that is head and shoulders above the rest.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The dansh U16 national team will be partcipating in a 3 nation tournament in Zuchwil (SUI) from 21/8 to 23/8 2015. They will play 3 games against Germany U16 and Switzerland U16 Red and White.

This is the roster:

Goaltender:
William Kølln, Rungsted
Mads Søgaard, Aalborg
David Grubak, Herlev

Defense:
Max V. Olesen, Herlev
Marco Petersen, Vojens
Gustav Dichow, Vojens
Christoffer Frænell, Rødovre
Jonas Krogsgaarg, Esbjerg
Patrick Møller, Rungsted
Bertram Jelert, Rungsted
Phillip Petersen, Rødovre

Forwards:
Oliver True, Rungsted
Gustav Green, Rungsted
William Nistrup, Rungsted
Sebastian Sørensen, Rødovre
Phillip Schultz, Rødovre
Frederik Kaels, Rødovre
Emil Bredvig, Herning
Mikkel Pedersen, Herning
Christoffer Ã…kesson, Aalborg
Jonas Jakobsen, Aalborg
Lukas B. Nielsen, Zug (SUI)
Victor Cubars, Hvidovre
Simon Golbert, Herlev
Niklas Jensen, Herlev

This years U16 roster consist of players born in year 2000. Normally the Danish Hockey Association never use national teams below U16, but actually the year 2000 born players were assembled 4 years ago when they participated in a U13 tournament in Russia and did well. I am looking much forward to how good the players are now compared to the best players from Germany and Switzerland.

I am sure the coach has selected the best team possible, but I am still surprised that there wasn't room on the roster for the following 3 forwards:
Andreas Kleist Christiansen, Esbjerg
Mads Stephansen, Vojens
Mikkel Bertelsen, Frederikshavn

Besides that this team looks rather solid; goaltending is strong with Mads Søgaard as the big profile, but all 3 goaltenders are good. Defense is fair with no real stand out players, but I could be wrong in this regard though. There is a lot of depth on the forward position, maybe even more than on last years U16 team, but I am missing a prospect that is head and shoulders above the rest.

Thanks for this evaluation of the youngsters, Valdemar! :)
Rungsted is really getting going with prospects (6), even more than Rødovre (5), whereas traditional prospect center Herning only has 2! Also Herlev with 4 shows something brewing there.

Interesting with Victor Cubars as his father is the former Latvian one-time WC player Sergejs Čubars, who played most of his career in Denmark (Hvidovre) and just recently retired.
So the son seems to want to play for Denmark.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Thanks for this evaluation of the youngsters, Valdemar! :)
Rungsted is really getting going with prospects (6), even more than Rødovre (5), whereas traditional prospect center Herning only has 2! Also Herlev with 4 shows something brewing there.

I noticed the same thing - a lot of 'East' Denmark players (not referring to the Latvian kid :) ). We'll see if this is a tendency that can eventually go all the way to the senior level. So hopefully one day we'll have a more balanced league in terms of East vs West...

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I noticed the same thing - a lot of 'East' Denmark players (not referring to the Latvian kid :) ). We'll see if this is a tendency that can eventually go all the way to the senior level. So hopefully one day we'll have a more balanced league in terms of East vs West...

It would be great for Danish icehockey, if the East teams becomes more competitive!
Le's hope that it's increase strength of "East" Danish youth development and not the result of a weakening of the "West" Danish.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
NHL Central Scouting Pre-Season watch list

This year we have 3 Danes on NHL Central Scouting Pre-Season watch list. It is;

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Boston Jr. Bruins (1998)
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, Aalborg Pirates (1997 late born)
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls (1998)

They are all forwards and are all considered C prospects (to be taken later than 3rd round).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
This year we have 3 Danes on NHL Central Scouting Pre-Season watch list. It is;

Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Boston Jr. Bruins (1998)
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, Aalborg Pirates (1997 late born)
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls (1998)

They are all forwards and are all considered C prospects (to be taken later than 3rd round).

At what date does the split occur in the scouting?
Korsgaard is from the 6th of October 1997 and on the list (whereas Alexander True is not and he is from the 17th of July).
So what do you folks think about the drafting chances of 3 these players?

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Korsgaard is from the 6th of October 1997 and on the list (whereas Alexander True is not and he is from the 17th of July).

I believe the cut-off date is September 15. Players born before September 15 1998 are draft eligible in the 2016 draft. Players born after that date are eligible to be drafted in 2017. I can't remember if the 15th of September swings one way or the other...

True could have been drafted in 2015 so that's why he is not in the ranking for the 2016 draft....

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

Arh, I don't know. They are not dominant enough to be drafted no matter what, so it will depend on how they develop this year.
Probably Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup will have the best chance of getting drafted because he is playing in USA and will be scouted a lot more than the other two who are playing in the Danish league.
But you never know. As far as I remember Lars Eller was way down the draft lists even at christmas time the year he was drafted as no. 13, and then he ended up as no. 3 on the European list just before draft time.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Marcus Almquist, Rødovre

Marcus Almquist

Just turned 12, but is likely the next big danish prospect.

He is playing in Rødovre and is an outstanding talent. According to his age he is a U13 player but even if he was 2 years older he would still be considered among the best prospects his age.

A smooth skater, technically excellent and a prolific goal scorer. He is simply dominant because of skill and not size. Normally I'm a little reluctant mention players this young, and he still got a lot of development in front of him, but his achievements so far have been spectacular.

Last in this post you can see a video from one of his games, so take a look for yourself.

This winther he participated in Lilla Resport 15 in Värmland, Sweden. It is Europe's largest tournament for players born 2003 with 32 participating teams from Sweden, Finland, Norway, Germany and Denmark. Among around 500 hockey players he ended up as no. 3 on the high-scorer list with 17 goals and 6 assists in 8 games and was not only elected to be on the all-star team but was elected tournament MVP.

This spring he participated in the Danish U13 championship (as a U12 player), and was elected best forward. He scored 15 goals at the championship, 7 more than number two on the high-scorer list.

Latest tournament highlights:

22-23 Aug. 2015
U15 PULJETURNERING A: A pre-tournament for the Danish U15 league consisting of the 6 best Danish U15 teams. Marcus made 6 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. Enough to be no. 4 on the top scorer lists.

5-6 Sep. 2015
Bålstacupen (U15 tournament) (SWE), Rødovre wins the bronce medals with a 2-1 victory against Göta Traneberg. The Rødovre goals are both scored by Marcus. On a very strong Rødovre team with some of the best U15 players in Denmark, Marcus becomes top scorer.

11-13 Sep. 2015
Elite Hotels Cup (U14 tournament) (SWE), Rødovre wins the gold medals with a 6-1 victory against Växjö Lakers. Marcus makes 4 goals and 1 assist in the final. In the tournament he scores half of his teams 38 goals (19 goals and 4 assists).

Video of the final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQgJjH0P1Co

His goal to 6-1 is a beaut.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
wow wow dominant!

is he the next big thing?

also ive seen Røndbjerg play a few times now and I see big things in him, whats yourr take on him?
its been a bit quiet talking about future big ones:)

how is our goalie in Calgary looking? can we expect anything?

can we do a list of all future prospects by year and try to rate their chances of a draft and how high they could go?

would love to get some more prospect talks going!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad