Prospect Info: Danil Zhilkin, 2022 NHL Draft, #77 Overall

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Everything about him indicates upside potential. Leave him in junior don’t assign him to the moose next year.
No way with Kuzmin making the jump next year, I'd want him on the team too. He's a late birthday, so he'll be 20 by 2024. Guelph doesn't look to be a very good team this year, any chance he gets traded before the playoffs? Otherwise I'd like to see him get a pro tryout and some experience in the playoffs with the Moose this year.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Just re-watched some Zhilkin highlights. Still one of my favourite picks last year.

Wonder what the likelihood of turning pro with the Moose is for him this coming season. He was called up to the Moose at the end of the season for the experience so there’s that.

He will be 20 in mid December. Would he benefit from another season in the OHL?

Also on a completely useless note, I just realized he is the second Moscow born player to be drafted by the Jets in the #77 spot of the draft. The other also has a surname beginning with ZH. :naughty:

Zhamnov #77 round 4 of 1990
Zhilkin #77 round 3 of 2022

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I haven’t really followed him closely other than watch some highlight videos. There’s no doubt that he’s super talented but I’m curious as to why that hasn’t translated into points. Just under a point per game in D+1 doesn’t seem to match his talent level. Any thoughts as to why?

Reactions: surixon

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I haven’t really followed him closely other than watch some highlight videos. There’s no doubt that he’s super talented but I’m curious as to why that hasn’t translated into points. Just under a point per game in D+1 doesn’t seem to match his talent level. Any thoughts as to why?
Yeah, I’m not sure what the reason is. He is obviously very skilled. Could be a consistency issue , lack of offensive opportunity or focus on defensive responsibilities.

I haven’t researched enough to see how much PP time he gets or offensive zone starts etc. Maybe he is what he is, a skilled sub point per game player that is reliable in all zones.

Would be nice to see him go back for another season and ramp up his production to over a point per game while remaining a strong 200 ft player though.

Reactions: JetsUK

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It often matters who's ahead of him. He had Poitras ahead of him in Guelph and still played over a point per game, which was enough for a playoff team with better depth to bring him in. If he ever played for a team where he was *the* guy that the offense ran through, he'd put up more points. Doesn't mean he's better or worse than his numbers, just that he hasn't had the chance to be that guy. Based on the numbers that he's put up while not being that guy, I'm encouraged.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just re-watched some Zhilkin highlights. Still one of my favourite picks last year.

Wonder what the likelihood of turning pro with the Moose is for him this coming season. He was called up to the Moose at the end of the season for the experience so there’s that.

He will be 20 in mid December. Would he benefit from another season in the OHL?

Also on a completely useless note, I just realized he is the second Moscow born player to be drafted by the Jets in the #77 spot of the draft. The other also has a surname beginning with ZH. :naughty:

Zhamnov #77 round 4 of 1990
Zhilkin #77 round 3 of 2022

Zhere may well be zhomzhing in what you zhay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad