Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Strengths

Skating and speed
Transitional game
Puck control
Strong shot

Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

On-ice vision
Creating high-danger chances
Defensive awareness

NHL Potential​

Zhilkin is a low-risk pick as he projects to be, at the very least, a bottom-six player in the NHL thanks to his blend of size, skill, and speed. He’s not a one-dimensional threat, either, and can effectively kill penalties and transition back to defence when needed. He isn’t afraid to get messy in the corners to dig out a puck, making him a strong candidate to end up in a special teams role in the future. Though, there’s a chance he could end up being a strong, second-line player if he can upgrade his vision and awareness. He already has a great shot and strong pass, but if that can be combined with a better on-ice sense, he’ll be a very dangerous player in the NHL, potentially like a David Backes or a Blake Wheeler.

Blake Wheeler 2.0!

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Fantastic pick. I live close to Guelph where he plays and he is very intriguing. Listed as a forward but when I watched him he played defence and was easily the best defenceman to play for either side. Really good instincts and controls the play very well. Really, really like this

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the first round, #14 Overall, by the Guelph Storm in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Danny Zhilkin had a breakout season after missing the 2020-21 season due to the COVID pandemic. He started hot right out of the gate with 15 points in his first 16 games. Zhilkin couldn’t quite keep up that pace but still posted 23 goals and 32 assists for 55 points in 66 games. He also added one goal and one assist in four playoff games. Unfortunately, the Storm fell in the first round. They lost in five games to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. It was still a big improvement from Zhilkin’s rookie season. In 2019-20 he struggled to adjust to the OHL. Zhilkin had just seven goals and 15 points in 60 games before the season was shut down.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Wonder if they will consider a Brent Burns or Buff approach and convert him to a D. I think they ought to because he did remind me a lot of Duncan Keith type of player in prime. Smooth skater with an ability to control the ice

Reactions: hn777

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Finally got around to reading about Zhilkin.

Pretty good value, draft-wise, as he probably should have gone in the 2nd round.

Looks to be a solid 3c. I think there's a chance he could improve and contribute as a 2nd liner, but probably will take a while to get there.

I get a feeling he'd be a player similar to Copp, in terms of usage but not necessarily style.

Really happy with this selection.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Finally got around to reading about Zhilkin.

Pretty good value, draft-wise, as he probably should have gone in the 2nd round.

Looks to be a solid 3c. I think there's a chance he could improve and contribute as a 2nd liner, but probably will take a while to get there.

I get a feeling he'd be a player similar to Copp, in terms of usage but not necessarily style.

Really happy with this selection.

That is my view on him as well. Sounds like a more modern 3C.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The more I read about Zhilkin, the more I believe this is a really sneaky good pick!!! Sounds like a real good character kid with skill to boot. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a decent jump in production for him this coming season.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
My write up on Zhilkin:

Some notes from media/scout poll:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00