Confirmed with Link: Daniel Cleary (1 year, $1.5 MM + $1 MM bonus potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is Holland legitimately trying to tank for McDavid/Eichel/any of the projected top 5? Because it really seems like it. In which case, I wouldn't be too mad.
No way. It's more like he's trying to keep us a borderline playoff team instead of making us better. I have hope that Cleary will actually struggle to reach that 10-game bonus mark, which would mean he doesn't hurt us a lot. It's an upsetting signing but I can't give up hope that at least Babcock learned something last year. He kept saying the kids have won jobs, if he turns around and gives Jurco's job to Cleary it's disgusting.

we like our team*

i doubt the wings miss the playoffs if datsyuk and/or zetterberg are healthy

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
These statements come of as spoiled Wings fans statements. We are a probable playoff team in the East at worst borderline. You people are unhappy with this team seem to have no understanding of how truly awful the bottom 5 teams are. I am unhappy with the off-season but we are a ways off from the full on tank. We would need a round of staph infections to fall into that group and even then some lottery luck as our GR gang coming up and filling in with half our roster is likely not bottom three either.

I guess if you're rooting for it, the biggest loss this team could take isn't even Zetterberg or Datsyuk it is actually Kronwall in my opinion.

So now we just accept mediocrity?

You must be a very easy person to please, when you don't even expect someone to do their job and you are still happy.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
They should make the playoffs. They will need 75-80 games to clinch their spot, but 13/40 are still elite. Unfortunately that won't be good enough in the playoffs. They will be chasing the puck the majority of the game and the defense will repeatedly breakdown. Offense will get one unscreened shot on net and start chasing the puck again.

It's the exact same team, but one year older. Except for Danny Cleary. He ages in dog years.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You must be a very easy person to please, when you don't even expect someone to do their job and you are still happy.

No he's actually realistic. With a healthy Pavel and Hank, there is no way this team doesn't make the playoffs. Whether Holland did his job this offseason or not, the team will be better next year just by the virtue of our two elite players being healthy.

I know everyone hates when he says x is like a FA acquisition, but honestly getting back Zetterberg full time will make way more of an impact than signing any of those RH D men we missed would have. Getting Ericsson back and calling up one D prospect could push Kindl-Lashoff off the ice. If Weiss turns out to be the 2C we thought we were signing last year, that could be huge.

I'm disappointed as hell with the offseason, but there is plenty of room for improvement from the players on this roster. So as to not drive myself crazy beating a dead horse for Holland striking out in FA and trades, I'm going to pin my hopes on the fact that we had a ridiculous rash of injuries that all hit top players all at once and took them out for a long time. Plus, you had guys like Z and Pavs gritting through injuries over the Olympic break to play for their countries that delayed their return and reduced their effectiveness.

Yes, this offseason went very poorly, but the team is still good and we still have that stockpile of prospects that we are really excited about. It's not all peaches and cream, but let's not act like it's all a crap sundae either.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They should make the playoffs. They will need 75-80 games to clinch their spot, but 13/40 are still elite. Unfortunately that won't be good enough in the playoffs. They will be chasing the puck the majority of the game and the defense will repeatedly breakdown. Offense will get one unscreened shot on net and start chasing the puck again.

It's the exact same team, but one year older. Except for Danny Cleary. He ages in dog years.

As far as we know. Zetterberg hasn't played enough since his injury to assess if it has any effect on his game. As for Datsyuk he will be 36 in a week, while I don't expect him to ever be ineffective with his elite defensive play, I think it's a safe bet to believe his offensive totals could start to taper.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
As far as we know. Zetterberg hasn't played enough since his injury to assess if it has any effect on his game. As for Datsyuk he will be 36 in a week, while I don't expect him to ever be ineffective with his elite defensive play, I think it's a safe bet to believe his offensive totals could start to taper.

Since neither Zetterberg or Datsuk rely on having superior physical attributes to their games, I am more willing to believe they'll continue to be elite longer than most guys. They succeed with ridiculous hockey IQ and stick handling skill.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I wouldn't mind having a total year off getting McDavid or Eichel, but this team will be in no mans land (calgary land) not good enough to make the playoffs or just barely squeek in, not bad enough to get a top5 pick.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan

I don't think anyone is happy with being mediocre but that's the reality we are looking at right now, like it or not.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Everybody wanted Cleary back?

This is either a lie or downright scary. If everybody wanted Cleary back, then either they have lost their ability to set emotions aside and properly judge a hockey player's abilities or - the possibility that I fear most - Holland is now surrounded with a bunch of Yes men.

Also, why does Holland think the fans don't want Cleary back? Because we have a schoolgirl grudge against him? No. Because most of us watch all 82 games a season and have developed enough of an eye that we can tell when someone is a ****** hockey player. We want our team to win games and watch the new and exciting youth taking strides towards their potential - not watch a guy who can barely skate.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Everybody wanted Cleary back?

This is either a lie or downright scary. If everybody wanted Cleary back, then either they have lost their ability to set emotions aside and properly judge a hockey player's abilities or - the possibility that I fear most - Holland is now surrounded with a bunch of Yes men.

Also, why does Holland think the fans don't want Cleary back? Because we have a schoolgirl grudge against him? No. Because most of us watch all 82 games a season and have developed enough of an eye that we can tell when someone is a ****** hockey player. We want our team to win games and watch the new and exciting youth taking strides towards their potential - not watch a guy who can barely skate.

The quotes are from last year. They confused me too. I haven't seen any player quotes regarding his new contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sorry guys, didn't mean to confuse people.

The article was written recently, just the opening line was from some comments from last year.

Regner said this about the move this year:
Holland is very aware of how Cleary's signing is being received, but is not too concerned with the reaction. At the end of the day, this is his team and he calls the shots

Pretty much sums it up. Makes bad moves that piss off us fans that pay money, but doesn't care.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Sorry guys, didn't mean to confuse people.

The article was written recently, just the opening line was from some comments from last year.

Regner said this about the move this year:

Pretty much sums it up. Makes bad moves that piss off us fans that pay money, but doesn't care.

well to be fair for kenny, he doesn't think they are bad moves..

not that it's really exceptionally good thing or anything but..

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
well to be fair for kenny, he doesn't think they are bad moves..

not that it's really exceptionally good thing or anything but..

I think he knows it's a bad move, and he doesn't care. Which is why he drops the "loyalty" line.

There is no possible way that someone who gets paid to evaluate talent could possibly watch Dan Cleary play hockey and think he is worthy of a 1.5-2.5 million dollar contract. It's strictly a personal relationship, and has nothing to do with merit

we like our team*

Since neither Zetterberg or Datsuk rely on having superior physical attributes to their games, I am more willing to believe they'll continue to be elite longer than most guys. They succeed with ridiculous hockey IQ and stick handling skill.

this. it seems like zetterberg is injured to some extent half the time anyway but still plays great

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I wouldn't mind having a total year off getting McDavid or Eichel, but this team will be in no mans land (calgary land) not good enough to make the playoffs or just barely squeek in, not bad enough to get a top5 pick.

This is a deep draft and Calgary got a hell of a player in Monahan. We could potentially get a guy like Barzal if we dropped into Calgary land.

But with that said, I doubt we draft higher than 10th.

Also, people keeping talking about Calgary, but I think we're more likely headed for a Vancouver scenario.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Maybe Cleary got the money he did because he's starting up a similar foundation to Scott Hartnell's. By the time Cleary gets 10 games in, he'll need that extra $1M bonus.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This is a deep draft and Calgary got a hell of a player in Monahan. We could potentially get a guy like Barzal if we dropped into Calgary land.

But with that said, I doubt we draft higher than 10th.

Also, people keeping talking about Calgary, but I think we're more likely headed for a Vancouver scenario.

calgary was for years here vancouver is now (unless they bounce back which is possible) until they sold iggy and jbow.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
No way. It's more like he's trying to keep us a borderline playoff team instead of making us better. I have hope that Cleary will actually struggle to reach that 10-game bonus mark, which would mean he doesn't hurt us a lot. It's an upsetting signing but I can't give up hope that at least Babcock learned something last year. He kept saying the kids have won jobs, if he turns around and gives Jurco's job to Cleary it's disgusting.

We all already know this will be the case, assuming everyone is healthy in October. I can pretty much guarantee Jurco is in GR, and Cleary is penciled into the starting lineup game 1 if there are no other injuries. You would have thought this team would have learned from their prior mistakes, when Cleary/Bert/Samuseless were given spots over our best forward last year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The problem is that the human body can only take so much, no matter how much heart you have. Look at Dan Cleary.

But see, that's where guys like Z and Dats are different. They think the game completely differently than anyone but similarly skilled players on other teams. They do and see stuff that other players just don't or can't... and not because they're faster or stronger.

All Cleary ever had was his grit and determination. He was a scrap heap pickup by the Wings and he made good for awhile because he just worked really really hard. He's always been a plugger who got by because he was going to work harder than the guy across from him. That's why people on the team love him so much. He's going to give 110%. The problem is that he's lost a step or two now, so his 110% is around a normal NHLers 60%.

It's kind of like Rudy, but instead of him graduating and going off into the sunset after the game everyone cheered for him, Dan Devine kept him around and made him the starting DE over the 5 star recruits they were bringing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad