Confirmed with Link: Daniel Cleary (1 year, $1.5 MM + $1 MM bonus potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Really? Because there are plenty of guys in the business world who have high-paying jobs out of seniority rather than because they're more able and working harder than the younger guys.

I doubt there are many places in the 'business world' that have both A) a workforce made up entirely of short term contract employees and B) a codified seniority system

Then there's the fact that (aside from injury) age is the single greatest detriment to the career of a professional athlete. Unless you're Gordie Howe.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's only 11 guys that are locks to play over him...

D, Z, Mule, Weiss, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Abby, Helm, Miller, Glendening

If Alfredsson doesn't re-sign, Cleary will have a spot to fill out the 12 forwards.

Jurco will go to GR and Andersson will go to the press box.

Alfressson we need you!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I bet he's telling the truth, you obviously didn't see the reaction at training camp when Cleary took the ice.

Despite how much fans despise Cleary, seems he is well-liked and respected among his peers/teammates, and of course, Babcock. I'm sure they are all happy to have him back.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Despite how much fans despise Cleary, seems he is well-liked and respected among his peers/teammates, and of course, Babcock. I'm sure they are all happy to have him back.

Yeah every team needs a mascot that drags the performance of the team down.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

That's even worse.

If the coach and players like him, it just means he gets a longer leash and more leeway in "earning" a spot. He is an objectively inferior player compared to others we have on our farm team.

I really don't care how well a player is. I want the team to win. If I have to pick between a roster of friends and a roster of winners, I pick the latter every time. Every time someone say something about how much Cleary is liked and appreciated around the locker room it just further cements the fact that this signing was not about making the team better. It was about creating a country club for friends.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Even if there play was to fall, do you think that they're going to miss that many games collectively. Even if their games fell tremendously, it's still a big upgrade over them not playing at all - which happened far too often last year. And we still made the playoffs.

Their play can drop and they can be injured too, players don't generally get less injury-prone as they age. I don't think the team has been improved at all over the course of this off-season.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Just because one is well-liked and respected doesn't make that person a good hockey player. The problem is his teammates and Babcock's judgement of his ability to play the game is clouded due to the fact that he is well-liked.

We aren't in the locker room so we don't really give two flying ****s whether or not he's a "good locker room guy." What we do give two flying ****s about though, is, icing the best possible team. They haven't been icing the best possible team for a few years because of dumb retreads like Cleary

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Their play can drop and they can be injured too, players don't generally get less injury-prone as they age. I don't think the team has been improved at all over the course of this off-season.

So you expect them to miss as many games? Okay. That's all we need to know on your opinion. You expect them to roughly play half a season combined.

The team, especially up front, didn't have to be touched to be improved. It's really not that hard to comprehend. When Datsyuk and Zetterberg were both in the lineup this past season, Nyquist, Helm, Sheahan, and the likes weren't.

The team was never fully together due to injuries and roster changes.

When we had 13 and 40 healthy, we had no depth because the lineup was full of Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Emmerton, Eaves, etc.

And when 13 and/or 40 were out, Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, and Glendening all emerged. And to top it off Helm got healthy.

But throughout the season we never got to see the best of both worlds.

Unless there's a bunch of injuries in training camp, we actually get to start the season with the best of both worlds. Jurco being the only exclusion.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Wings bottom six is going to have

Cleary
Miller
Glendenning
Helm
Sheahan

Andersson is going to be playing in the bottom six when he isn't a healthy scratch. (You know he isn't going to get waived) Abby will hopefully get pushed down to the bottom six if Alfie comes back.

I am hoping the Wings just have a good top six. I am expecting the bottom six to continue to be useless on most nights.

Tatar and Sheahan will be on the 3rd line so that will be a really good line just like it was last year.

Helm will be a huge strength on the 4th line and is a good player. He'll probably be surrounded by bad players, but that's most 4th lines so we should have an advantage with Helm there carrying the line. Helm scores a lot of points at ES for a bottom 6 player and he draws a ton of penalties. His offense is underrated if you look at his points per 60 at 5 on 5.

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Tatar and Sheahan will be on the 3rd line so that will be a really good line just like it was last year.

Helm will be a huge strength on the 4th line and is a good player. He'll probably be surrounded by bad players, but that's most 4th lines so we should have an advantage with Helm there carrying the line. Helm scores a lot of points at ES for a bottom 6 player and he draws a ton of penalties. His offense is underrated if you look at his points per 60 at 5 on 5.

Cleary is gonna kill that line

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
At this point I'm all for Babcock and Holland going. I don't care how good of a coach Babcock is. The loyalty in the lockeroom has to go. I want new blood. I don't care if it means missing the playoffs.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Is Holland legitimately trying to tank for McDavid/Eichel/any of the projected top 5? Because it really seems like it. In which case, I wouldn't be too mad.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is Holland legitimately trying to tank for McDavid/Eichel/any of the projected top 5? Because it really seems like it. In which case, I wouldn't be too mad.

These statements come of as spoiled Wings fans statements. We are a probable playoff team in the East at worst borderline. You people are unhappy with this team seem to have no understanding of how truly awful the bottom 5 teams are. I am unhappy with the off-season but we are a ways off from the full on tank. We would need a round of staph infections to fall into that group and even then some lottery luck as our GR gang coming up and filling in with half our roster is likely not bottom three either.

I guess if you're rooting for it, the biggest loss this team could take isn't even Zetterberg or Datsyuk it is actually Kronwall in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad